2nds Dermott Brereton played games in the 2nds during 1993 season?

Remove this Banner Ad

carson_mayfair

Draftee
Aug 4, 2004
Hi guys,

According to wikipeida, Dermott Brereton didn’t play any games during the 1993 season due to a hip injury. At the end of the 1993 season, he left Hawthorn and Played for Sydney Swans in 1994. Does anyone know if he played games in the 1993 reserves side and how that went? I heard people discussing that he did infact play games in the 2nds but there is no info about this online.

Hi guys,

According to wikipeida, Dermott Brereton didn’t play any games during the 1993 season due to a hip injury. At the end of the 1993 season, he left Hawthorn and Played for Sydney Swans in 1994. Does anyone know if he played games in the 1993 reserves side and how that went? I heard people discussing that he did infact play games in the 2nds but there is no info about this online.
It's a good question. I really don't remember Dermie at the club in 1993. What a bloody shame how it ended and we couldn't give him a proper send off.

Hi guys,

I can’t recall but he did later played in the reserves against hawthorn and stood on a players head and got suspended. I’m guessing if he did play for the hawthorn reserves in 1993 it didn’t go well but maybe not quite as bad as his game against the hawks. 😂

Definitely played in the twos during 1993 (injured a lot). I remember him kicking a bag of five and Joyce wouldn’t pick him in the ones…. I never liked Joyce. Always came across as a kill joy - hence he never fully embraced the brash charisma of the kid.

Definitely played in the twos during 1993 (injured a lot). I remember him kicking a bag of five and Joyce wouldn’t pick him in the ones…. I never liked Joyce. Always came across as a kill joy - hence he never fully embraced the brash charisma of the kid.
His body was broken by that point. Bit different kicking 5 in the twos to running out with the seniors and doing the same half fit all the time. I get where Joyce was coming from but he did deserve a bit more respect for what he did for the club.

• Banned
Amazing, so he did play in the 2nds despite the hip injury? Do you know when he got the hip injury? The last game of him for the Hawks was in 1992 against the Saints, he seemed to be moving OK in that one. I’m guessing the hip injury happened during training in 1992 or maybe even in 1993 pre-season? It’s strange there is no info at all on the internet about his career during this time.

I can’t recall but he did later played in the reserves against hawthorn and stood on a players head and got suspended. I’m guessing if he did play for the hawthorn reserves in 1993 it didn’t go well but maybe not quite as bad as his game against the hawks. 😂
It was a pre season match at Glenferrie oval in 1994

I remember in 92 or 93 him playing in the firsts one game at Princes v Carlton after recovering from the hip injury (coming off the bench mid game to standing ovation), and from memory that being one of his last games for us. Sorry doesn’t answer question…
It wasn’t 93. Brereton played no senior games in 93 - only reserves.

I don't think he played any footy at all in 1993. As a result, for memory, we offered him a very small contract (something like $7000) so he explored his options. That match you were thinking of was a pre-season game for Sydney in 1994, and the Hawthorn player was Rayden Tallis.

Joyce did the s**t work for the admin and got shafted for his efforts to boot

View attachment 1438076
I spent a fair amount of time at HFC in those days.
I think you’ll find that Joyce was not very well liked by many people, especially the players & that had more to do with why he was moved on.
He, IMO, thought he was better than he was, he was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when Yabby fell ill

Personally, I thought he was an ok person, but I know many who would not agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Brereton playing in the seconds around that time. There are two instances I remember…him being floored by a no name Melbourne player (from memory called Rivers) - whacked from behind without Dermie knowing anything about it….. and Dermie trying to convince the umpire that he wanted to do a place kick for goal…didnt happen ….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back