Did Gil just put mergers back on the agenda?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with a merger is that on paper it sounds good but in reality the history and the culture built from that history are lost

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There'll never be another merger or relocation.

The AFL will go to 20 teams and it will stay that way until Tasmania, GWS, GC, and the 20th club can stand on their own two feet. They need to be in a strong financial position before they ever consider going beyond 20 teams, which I think they could one day.

The problem with a merger is that on paper it sounds good but in reality the history and the culture built from that history are lost

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The Gil has walked back his comments since I posted this thread. If/when Tas come in we won’t be going back to 18.

It will be interesting to see how the AFL administration structure the Tas club, both off & on field.
What sticks in my throat is so called 'priority picks' when the current teams have the top 700+/- players locked in. Priority gives 701st pick, WOW!

What lessons should the AFL have learned from the formation of GWS GG ?

Gold coast and GWS needed those concession picks.

Tassie coming in when gws and gold coast came in would of been ok at the time too.

Saying that, what concessions in picks and players should they get?

Acess to the tassie state league?

Gold coast and GWS needed those concession picks.

Tassie coming in when gws and gold coast came in would of been ok at the time too.

Saying that, what concessions in picks and players should they get?

Acess to the tassie state league?
Give Tassie the NT academy?

The Suns won't need it, although the Giants might need it more than Tassie do if Canberra ever get a team and take over the Riverina.

Give Tassie the NT academy?

The Suns won't need it, although the Giants might need it more than Tassie do if Canberra ever get a team and take over the Riverina.

Yep the giants need it because w.s has more indigenous population than n.t. It will help n.t kids that struggle to transition into cities going into a location with a big indigenous culture and network for support. Plus it will give young w.s indigenous kids some afl idols that might hopefully attract them to the game.

The conversation is more about a transition plan in Canberra comes in.

Geographically, it makes sense for the Riverina to go to Canberra, so the NT academy would help fill that gap if the Giants lose southern NSW.
It would make more sense for one of Wollongong or Newcastle, NSW's biggest population centres and presumably the beneficiaries of the NSW growth over the coming generation, to go to GWS - if AFL grows enough in NSW that GWS is strong enough not to need Canberra, presumably this is correlated to those cities actually producing AFL talent at a decent enough rate.

NT has no cultural or historical football relationship to NSW as it does to Qld, SA or Melbourne teams like Essendon or teams like the Dogs or Melbourne who have played home games in the state. There's no natural link.

It would make more sense for one of Wollongong or Newcastle, NSW's biggest population centres and presumably the beneficiaries of the NSW growth over the coming generation, to go to GWS - if AFL grows enough in NSW that GWS is strong enough not to need Canberra, presumably this is correlated to those cities actually producing AFL talent at a decent enough rate.

NT has no cultural or historical football relationship to NSW as it does to Qld, SA or Melbourne teams like Essendon or teams like the Dogs or Melbourne who have played home games in the state. There's no natural link.

I always thought the giants colours looked like an n.t team if that helps 😊.

Sure, in decades from now, it'd be great if most of GWS' players came from Sydney and its surrounds.

But a 20th team will probably be in in less than a decade, and I don't see that region producing enough talent to replace southern NSW by then.

In the meantime, the Suns academy is booming and will probably need clipping, so taking the NT away from them makes sense.

Sure, in decades from now, it'd be great if most of GWS' players came from Sydney and its surrounds.

But a 20th team will probably be in in less than a decade, and I don't see that region producing enough talent to replace southern NSW by then.

In the meantime, the Suns academy is booming and will probably need clipping, so taking the NT away from them makes sense.
Sure, but five years before Isaac Heeney was drafted many people would have said if the Newcastle region, arguably the most culturally anti-AFL place in the country, would produce an All-Australian footballer, you would be laughed in the face.

Who knows what the futrue might entail but given the raw population numbers if the AFL succeeds in its mission in the 40s and 50's the NSW/ACT region academies can easily be split three ways among the three teams.

Anyway, my original point was about the correlation. If a Canberra team is introduced, it's highly likely to be because GWS is doing well, otherwise they wouldn't feel secure enough to take the Canberra games away from GWS. If GWS are doing well, it's in turn likely because the sport in general is doing well enough in the state to be producing enough talent. One directly leads to another.

Last edited:
Anyway, my original point was about the correlation. If a Canberra team is introduced, it's highly likely to be because GWS is doing well, otherwise they wouldn't feel secure enough to take the Canberra games away from GWS. If GWS are doing well, it's in turn likely because the sport in general is doing well enough in the state to be producing enough talent. One directly leads to another.
I agree with this. A second Sydney team is strategically far more more important for the AFL than a Canberra side will ever be. I get people’s rationale that 11 home games in Sydney will help the Giants grow, although the AFL may not see things this way. If they perceive that Canberra (and the Riverina) is vital for the Giants from financial and player pathway perspectives, then unfortunately, they may continue to leach off those regions to prop up GWS and instead prioritise another region for #20. Things are quiet on this front atm, although I’m confident that the Tassie stadium situation will be resolved in due course. When this occurs and there’s no more uncertainty then the AFL’s expansion intentions will become a lot clearer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back