When will the AFL see a return on their investment on GWS and Gold Coast?

When will GWS and Gold Coast start making money??

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, Richmond won the flag in 2019 against GWS with Tom Lynch, ex GC, helping out Riewoldt and Geelong won 2022 against Sydney with Jeremy Cameron, ex GWS, helping Hawkins.
Its already paid off for the AvFL I'd say.

The Gold Coast and GWS have been making a loss since they started.
Small membership, small crowds , big handouts.
The idea was to expand the game into expanding population corridors and make money out of it, but there's no money being made yet.
The best you can say is that there is an extra game every week and that makes some money.
GC have already paid their way by helping to save 2020. GWS is a long term bet which would be more likely to succeed if they played 11 home games in western Sydney.

Lol, Richmond won the flag in 2019 against GWS with Tom Lynch, ex GC, helping out Riewoldt and Geelong won 2022 against Sydney with Jeremy Cameron, ex GWS, helping Hawkins.
WB won the flag in 2016 with Tom Boyd (Ex GWS) dominating
Melb won a flag in 2021 with Steven May (Ex-GC) holding down a key defensive post.

The best you can say is that there is an extra game every week and that makes some money
That is kind of under-playing it a bit, the latest broadcasting deal brought in 4.5 billion. Clearly they are nowhere near the other teams in terms of eye-balls on the tv, but without increased interest in the northern markets these teams bring, the broadcasters could well have severely wound back broadcasting of AFL games in this markets and paid a lot less $$$

WB won the flag in 2016 with Tom Boyd (Ex GWS) dominating
Melb won a flag in 2021 with Steven May (Ex-GC) holding down a key defensive post.
Richmond won the flag in 2019 against GWS with Tom Lynch, ex GC, helping out Riewoldt and Geelong won 2022 against Sydney with Jeremy Cameron, ex GWS, helping Hawkins.
Feeder clubs for Victoria powerhouses.
As it should be, as it always will be.

I've read that it took Sydney 23 years to get up and going, so I wouldn't be writing off the Giants or Suns yet.

I'd give Canberra their own team by 2033 so the Giants can play all their games in western Sydney. If that doesn't get them up and going, nothing will, but Sydney is just way too big for one team. Can't see them ever moving.

Suns I think will be okay.

Surely, extra game has impact on broadcasting rights negotiations.

There is a huge growth at youth level in QLD which starts to filtrate through Suns academy. Just watch Suns academies both boys and girls. A lot of talent there, some will end up in other teams.

As for on field success, don't be surprised for Suns to make finals from 2024 regularly. Their 26 year and under list is one of the best and is just starting to deliver.

I would say watching Suns this year is mostly enjoyable. Who does not like watching red head and his buddy Noah taking over the game :p

As for cost, check out AFL contributions to other teams including Vic teams with a long history.

Last edited:
Was always multigenerational.

Makes it harder being part time.
My thoughts exactly.... Look at the Sydney Swans and Brisbane side.

Swans moved to Sydney in 1982. Made finals in 1986-7. Crowds came in. Had that horrible down Period in 1991-1994.

Made finals in 1996-99. Crowds at the SCG came back on the back of Tony Lockett .

Brisbane were garbage from 1987-1992. Slowly improved in 1993-4.

Finals in 1995-7. Crowds hit 15-20,000.

Wooden spoon in 1998.

Finals in 1999-2004. When Brisbane made finals in that period, Gabba was always sold out. Capacity of the Gabba was 37,500.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are just cardboard cut-out franchises for television. Totally geared for the couch potatoes from Victoria, SA and WA who subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo and watch 2 or 3 games on Channel 7 every weekend.

All the clubs these days are basically cardboard cut-out franchises for the TV revenue.
It's just more obvious with the newest expansion teams because they can't attract a decent crowds, even after 10 years.

The AFL no longer prioritises the club members and ticket-buying customers. That's the gravy and their main course is the TV dollars.

And Power could win in 2023 with ex Sun, Charlie Dixon. Somehow UI don't think that's the success the AFL has in mind

Never. The AFL is happy to pour 100s of millions into these locations that are destined to fail, meanwhile they bend over the Tasmanian government to the tune of 3/4 of a billion to build them a new stadium, in an actual footy state.
Tasmania committed 375M to the new stadium.

AFL contributed 16 M to Port in 2023.

There's a very fair chance that those players - Lynch, Cameron, Prestia, May etc would've been very successful AFL players with or without the existence of the Giants and Suns - it's not like all their players over the years would not have been drafted anyway.

A better argument FOR the existence and financial benefits of these expansion clubs would be that extra televised AFL match they provide every weekend, which adds 12.5% more football per season, and hence at least that extra amount in AFL income gained from the lucrative TV rights. Not only does that extra match add more TV hours to sell, but they add markets that might otherwise not be a customer.

They are just cardboard cut-out franchises for television. Totally geared for the couch potatoes from Victoria, SA and WA who subscribe to Foxtel/Kayo and watch 2 or 3 games on Channel 7 every weekend.

All the clubs these days are basically cardboard cut-out franchises for the TV revenue.
It's just more obvious with the newest expansion teams because they can't attract a decent crowds, even after 10 years.

The AFL no longer prioritises the club members and ticket-buying customers. That's the gravy and their main course is the TV dollars.
No different in NRL catering to the NSW and Queensland people for tv money. Theres 8 million in NSW and 5 Million in Queensland. thats 13 million alone in those 2 states. Half the population

No problems with taking Tom Rockliff from a struggling Brisbane?

Was always multigenerational.

Makes it harder being part time.
Also free agency, players initial contracts being 2 years doesn't help those clubs. A couple of tweaks and it would be so much better ( 3 year initial contract, keep free agency but the club signing the free agent has to chip in some of the compensation).
For GWS, if all the ex VIC ,SA,WA people living in Sydney encouraged their kids to support us it would really help alot.

Last edited:
Back