When will the AFL see a return on their investment on GWS and Gold Coast?

When will GWS and Gold Coast start making money??

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That is kind of under-playing it a bit, the latest broadcasting deal brought in 4.5 billion. Clearly they are nowhere near the other teams in terms of eye-balls on the tv, but without increased interest in the northern markets these teams bring, the broadcasters could well have severely wound back broadcasting of AFL games in this markets and paid a lot less $$$
There is an argument to be made that the Giants in particular bring in more money than any other club.

Well as far as the grass roots growth portion we are beginning to see it pay-off now. 3 potential 1st round picks out of the GC academy, 2 local GC lads and one from NQLD, that also means the talent pool is bigger and 'mighty' clubs like Richmond can keep there VIC lads in Victoria.

Thanks champ, every team gets money from the AFL.

Gold coast and gws got $50m between them. Melbourne and Sydney got $16m each as well. Why not list them all?
I mentioned Port just to remind you that your club which I would say is a well-established and successful club also receives substantial contributions from AFL. In fact, extra 5-6M than is the base payment contributed to richest clubs. Not sure why Port needs extra 5-6M. It's well known that most clubs depend on AFL and would not survive without AFL handouts.

As for expansion clubs, it's logical that more support is needed. These are huge potential markets; it makes sense to expand there. They have impact on broadcast deals and the extra game brings significant amount of money already (50M according to AFL a several years ago).

FWIW, AFL is growing and doing well in QLD at youth/junior level and a lot of talent is starting to filtrate in. All clubs will benefit.

My problem is mostly with AFL how stupidly they set up Suns in NRL territory. Don't forget that it is AFL who owns and runs Suns. To start Suns in metal sheds for 8 years was ridiculous. There are plenty of other examples how amateurish AFL were when dealing with Suns.

Not sure why people are still so unhappy with Suns. It's a crazy close competition except Eagles. Suns as an organization look in good shape, they play good footy, players are committed, and the list is loaded with talent with a promising future.

Suns have good chance to play finals in near future if not this year.

Last edited:
I mentioned Port just to remind you that your club which I would say is a well-established and successful club also receives substantial contributions from AFL. In fact, extra 5-6M than is the base payment contributed to richest clubs. Not sure why Port needs extra 5-6M. It's well known that most clubs depend on AFL and would not survive without AFL handouts.

As for expansion clubs, it's logical that more support is needed. These are huge potential markets; it makes sense to expand there. They have impact on broadcast deals.

FWIW, AFL is growing and doing well in QLD at youth/junior level and a lot of talent is starting to filtrate in. All clubs will benefit.

My problem is mostly with AFL how stupidly they set up Suns in NRL territory. Don't forget that it is AFL who owns and runs Suns. To start Suns in metal sheds for 8 years was ridiculous. There are plenty of other examples how amateurish AFL were when dealing with Suns.

Not sure why people are still so unhappy with Suns. It's a crazy close competition except Eagles. Suns as an organization look in good shape, they play good footy, players are committed, and list is in good shape with a promising future.

Only concern I'd have if I were a Suns fan is the playing surface on your home deck. You don't want the cream of your list sitting on the sidelines because of preventable injuries.

Only concern I'd have if I were a Suns fan is the playing surface on your home deck. You don't want the cream of your list sitting on the sidelines because of preventable injuries.
I don't see any issue with a home deck but yeah, I felt for Rayner and Hipwood.

Yes, in the past Suns had terrible injuries lists but at the moment Suns have never been in better shape. Only Miller on the sideline after bye.
Alex Rigby is a high-performance guy and IMO he does a terrific job. Players look in good shape with a good running capacity.

Suns did have a terrible run with ACLs recently. Like 5 ACLs in 2 years but majority of them did not happen on home deck or were collision.

Last edited:
I don't see any issue with a home deck.

Yes, in the past Suns had terrible injuries lists but at the moment Suns have never been in better shape. Only Miller on the sideline after bye.
Alex Rigby is a high-performance guy and IMO he does a terrific job. Players look in good shape with a good running capacity.

Suns did have a terrible run with ACLs recently. Like 5 ACLs in 2 years but majority of them did not happen on home deck or were collision.
Oh, right, read that there were concerns about the playing deck, especially after the Covid year. Good to know you guys have a good fitness/injury management guy; as a Lions supporter, I'd love to see the Suns do well and build a solid rivalry.

Oh, right, read that there were concerns about the playing deck, especially after the Covid year. Good to know you guys have a good fitness/injury management guy; as a Lions supporter, I'd love to see the Suns do well and build a solid rivalry.
I was hoping Suns would take it up to Lions in the first QClash at Gabba this year but I was left disappointed again. You got a wood on us. Hopefully, 2nd QClash at Heritage bank will end up differently.

Good luck, you are my favourite to win it all.

I was hoping Suns would take it up to Lions in the first QClash at Gabba this year but I was left disappointed again. You got a wood on us. Hopefully, 2nd QClash at Heritage bank will end up differently.

Thanks mate, beating the Pies in the GF is our specialty, I'm confident we can do it again.

A shock GF against Port would be spicy, a chance to avenge 2004.

As for expansion clubs, it's logical that more support is needed. These are huge potential markets; it makes sense to expand there. They have impact on broadcast deals and the extra game brings significant amount of money already (50M according to AFL a several years ago).

Not sure why people are still so unhappy with Suns. It's a crazy close competition except Eagles. Suns as an organization look in good shape, they play good footy, players are committed, and the list is loaded with talent with a promising future.

Yep, good post. I struggle to see any other motive for the AFL introducing these expansion clubs other than the financial benefit in the long term.

It makes no sense for these administrators to take the short term hit in the league's hip pocket if they didn't expect GWS and Gold Coast to return this investment (and some) further down the track.

It's not like they're introducing these franchises purely out of the goodness of their heart towards the peoples of western Sydney and southern Queensland.

Last edited:
Never. The AFL is happy to pour 100s of millions into these locations that are destined to fail, meanwhile they bend over the Tasmanian government to the tune of 3/4 of a billion to build them a new stadium, in an actual footy state.
Tassie Government is paying $750m?

Thanks mate, beating the Pies in the GF is our specialty, I'm confident we can do it again.

A shock GF against Port would be spicy, a chance to avenge 2004.
You guys are doing Bigfooty rivalry wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even as a supporter, I believe GWS will struggle until they, and the AFL, figure out who they are and stop the Sydney/Canberra split (which is virtually impossible with the 10 year deal).

If it is Greater Western Sydney - ALL 11 games must be played at a western Sydney ground.

Problem with that at the moment is the Easter Show / Canberra deal so 3 games are played interstate.

Until there is only the one home ground, GWS will continue to struggle to build a solid following in western Sydney and will be, as mentioned earlier, a feeder club for teams predominantly in Victoria.

I've read that it took Sydney 23 years to get up and going, so I wouldn't be writing off the Giants or Suns yet.

I'd give Canberra their own team by 2033 so the Giants can play all their games in western Sydney. If that doesn't get them up and going, nothing will, but Sydney is just way too big for one team. Can't see them ever moving.

Suns I think will be okay.
23 years?
23 years to win a premiership maybe.
But it was 13 years until the crowds turned up, but after that, they never left.

I feel it'll be the first sustained period of success for GC/GWS from about now

I can see both clubs getting a ~30-50% increase in crowds the next time they finish top 4.
Probably stagnate until then, but once they are at the top, things can change real fast.

Even as a supporter, I believe GWS will struggle until they, and the AFL, figure out who they are and stop the Sydney/Canberra split (which is virtually impossible with the 10 year deal).

If it is Greater Western Sydney - ALL 11 games must be played at a western Sydney ground.

Problem with that at the moment is the Easter Show / Canberra deal so 3 games are played interstate.

Until there is only the one home ground, GWS will continue to struggle to build a solid following in western Sydney and will be, as mentioned earlier, a feeder club for teams predominantly in Victoria.
I agree they need to go to Sydney full time.
If they're to fail, it's locals wont get behind them with 1 foot out the door.

Perhaps they can do a 9 games at Showgrounds, Sydney Derby at Accor during the Easter Show and then play a low drawing team (ie. Port Adelaide, Gold Coast) at Blacktown also while the Showgrounds are out of action.

It's a government infrastructure project, for sure costs will blow out. At the moment it's $375m but I wouldn't count on that being the final amount
Well that's a lot less than you said

Perhaps they can do a 9 games at Showgrounds, Sydney Derby at Accor during the Easter Show and then play a low drawing team (ie. Port Adelaide, Gold Coast) at Blacktown also while the Showgrounds are out of action.
Interesting proposition.

I don't know if you know the area so I don't want to sound condescending, but transport links to the ground at Blacktown are basically non-existent. Car parking is severely limited. Getting into and out of Eastern Rd will be a nightmare. Massive turnoff, even if it's against a low-drawing team. To add - the lack of seating at the ground. How will Members be allocated?

The other is an ongoing problem. The surface at Giants Stadium is currently an absolute disgrace. The effects of the Easter Show linger for months. Last Sunday from my seat, I could still clearly see the markings on the ground caused by structures during the Show.

It has to be one ground. How to get to this is the big problem.

Interesting proposition.

I don't know if you know the area so I don't want to sound condescending, but transport links to the ground at Blacktown are basically non-existent. Car parking is severely limited. Getting into and out of Eastern Rd will be a nightmare. Massive turnoff, even if it's against a low-drawing team. To add - the lack of seating at the ground. How will Members be allocated?

The other is an ongoing problem. The surface at Giants Stadium is currently an absolute disgrace. The effects of the Easter Show linger for months. Last Sunday from my seat, I could still clearly see the markings on the ground caused by structures during the Show.

It has to be one ground. How to get to this is the big problem.
Can't see the state government funding another stadium, but a ground at Old Kings Oval next to Western Sydney Stadium would've been brilliant. The only real alternative is the Olympic Stadium, but until the metro line comes in, I don't see the Giants getting crowds decent enough for the place. Although I guess NRL teams regularly play there in front of 10 000 fans, so it would be normal by Sydney standards.

Exactly. You need a cauldron.

SCG, GMHBA, Optus, Adelaide Oval, even the Gabba all create massive home ground atmospheres. Not only does this give a playing advantage for their respective hosts, but consequently provide a wonderful game-day experience for the home crowds.

Well as far as the grass roots growth portion we are beginning to see it pay-off now. 3 potential 1st round picks out of the GC academy, 2 local GC lads and one from NQLD, that also means the talent pool is bigger and 'mighty' clubs like Richmond can keep there VIC lads in Victoria.
Which one is from North Queensland? I was under the impression Walter, Read and Rogers were all Gold Coast juniors...

Back