Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

I love going to my folks place for a BBQ. 4 people eating scotch fillet, I get to eat all the tasty fat in the middle of everyones steak. Mum cringes, dad loses his s**t, I eat half a steak with all the fat from everyone's steak! Irony is both my parents sadly are obese due to the whole eating carbs every meal, both diabetic etc.

I love going to my folks place for a BBQ. 4 people eating scotch fillet, I get to eat all the tasty fat in the middle of everyones steak. Mum cringes, dad loses his s**t, I eat half a steak with all the fat from everyone's steak! Irony is both my parents sadly are obese due to the whole eating carbs every meal, both diabetic etc.
I'm assuming you have given them articles like this to read?

Interesting food map from Business Insider.
world-diseasesfull.jpg

But the actual meat part tastes so much better!

But the actual meat part tastes so much better!
Not a chance. Taste test a low fat lean Heart Foundation piece of beef to a full fat grass feed equivalent piece and tell me which tastes better.

And back to the Time article, im staggered at the publicity this is generating around the world. Its like this is the switch that will start the ball rolling in a big way. Today certain organisations around the world world will be feeling very, very uncomfortable.

The Australia Heart Foundation is one that will not have welcomed this.

Not a chance. Taste test a low fat lean Heart Foundation piece of beef to a full fat grass feed equivalent piece and tell me which tastes better.

I'm sure the second one tastes better, but if I had to choice to eat the meat part or the fat part of that steak I'd still choose the meat part.

my grandma lived to 93 and lathered butter and salt on everything she ate as well as smoking nearly a pack a day.
...whats your point?
His point is.... he has no point.

10300148_877239332290510_6648348656395173080_n.jpg

This was interesting on both the 1994 and 2014 Time articles, and im trying to hunt down the '84 as im not a subscriber

"The March 26, 1984, cover of Time Magazine showed a frowny face made out of bacon and eggs. The headline of the feature article said, "Cholesterol, and Now the Bad News." Inside, an article titled, "Hold the Eggs and Butter," started with this line: "Cholesterol is proved deadly, and our diet may never be the same."

Amazingly, that original article from the 1984 issue (you can read it here) actually stated that the study on which this conclusion was based was not a diet study at all, but a study of a cholesterol reducing drug. The nine page article outlined the low-fat orthodoxy that has ruled the medical establishment for the last 30 years.

Basil Rifkind, the project director for the study cited in the '84 Time story, was quoted as saying he "believed" the research indicated that lowering cholesterol and fat in your diet would reduce your risk of heart disease. All the previous studies that the government had funded to try to "prove" the lipid hypothesis of heart disease had failed. We now know why; eating fat and cholesterol actually reduces the amount in the blood. Researchers have also found that the markers for inflammation are dramatically reduced on a low-carb diet with more fat. You can read about two recent studies on Pub Med here and here."

http://carbwars.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/mea-culpa-from-time-magazine.html

Last edited:
my grandma lived to 93 and lathered butter and salt on everything she ate as well as smoking nearly a pack a day.
...whats your point?

93 isn't 100. It's a fair way off actually. As you get over the expectancy every year gets harder.

If low carb was so unhealthy this guy wouldn't have made it to 100.

If Lustig wants to get taken seriously he needs to stop being a fat *.

93 isn't 100. It's a fair way off actually. As you get over the expectancy every year gets harder.

If low carb was so unhealthy this guy wouldn't have made it to 100.

If Lustig wants to get taken seriously he needs to stop being a fat ****.
How do you know what he was eating. Telling people to do something (to line your pockets from the agriculture lobbyists) is totally different to what you might actually do!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd eat fish n chips again if they were deep fried in Lard like the old days, unlike cottonseed oil which they use now which is flavourless & who knows the dangers.

A question i'm not sure many would be able to answer, but I'll field it anyway..

Our 14 month old daughter has been underweight all her life and after getting quite sick last month due to bronchiolitis and other associated respiratory nasties - had stopped eating and proceeded to slip further down the healthy weight category. The missus took her to a dietician (I know, you don't have to say it) and they suggested to her that we stir things like cream, milk, butter etc. into her meals to fatten her up...

Now, call me crazy, but won't this have the opposite effect - bringing on a sense of fullness and satiety earlier and thus eating less by following this advice?

Has anybody has any experiences or thoughts on the subject?

A question i'm not sure many would be able to answer, but I'll field it anyway..

Our 14 month old daughter has been underweight all her life and after getting quite sick last month due to bronchiolitis and other associated respiratory nasties - had stopped eating and proceeded to slip further down the healthy weight category. The missus took her to a dietician (I know, you don't have to say it) and they suggested to her that we stir things like cream, milk, butter etc. into her meals to fatten her up...

Now, call me crazy, but won't this have the opposite effect - bringing on a sense of fullness and satiety earlier and thus eating less by following this advice?

Has anybody has any experiences or thoughts on the subject?
DISCLAIMER: i dont know what im talking about

hard to say really.
if the act of eating is the problem then making her food more calorie dense would make sense, but if absence of hunger is the problem then i can see where you're coming from
however... eating fat wont necessarily satiate the appetite provided there are also other nutrients to t
rigger the hunger cycle (something to do with leptin, insulin and glucose i think). hence people putting on weight by having full cream milk with their cereal, or creamy pastas or lathering butter on their toast.
so unless you intend to make your daughter a fully fledged LCHF convert my guess is that it will help with weight gain.

i'd suggest you run it by your doctor/pediatrician and get a more qualified opinion. (please refer to disclaimer)

good luck and good health to you and your daughter

DISCLAIMER: i dont know what im talking about

hard to say really.
if the act of eating is the problem then making her food more calorie dense would make sense, but if absence of hunger is the problem then i can see where you're coming from
however... eating fat wont necessarily satiate the appetite provided there are also other nutrients to t
rigger the hunger cycle (something to do with leptin, insulin and glucose i think). hence people putting on weight by having full cream milk with their cereal, or creamy pastas or lathering butter on their toast.
so unless you intend to make your daughter a fully fledged LCHF convert my guess is that it will help with weight gain.

i'd suggest you run it by your doctor/pediatrician and get a more qualified opinion. (please refer to disclaimer)

good luck and good health to you and your daughter
Cheers!

Hunger isn't a problem, neither is eating to be honest. The aim is to just put on weight and have a pudgy girl. I only questioned the nutritionist advice as generally those full fat products would do more to satiate earlier, rather than stimulate hunger for more of something. My theory: absence of full fat product = eating more>full fat product added to food = eating less.

That farcical doco by the Pommy twin Doctors fat v sugar is on SBS this Monday night. Good for a laugh.
Ugh, this is one of the worst documentaries I've seen in a long time. Literally only worth watching for a laugh...treat it as a comedy, or you'll be mourning losing an hour of your life to watch it! Terrible science.

I've never been able to take that guy seriously with his permanently surprised expression thanks to plastic surgery.

"I can't figure this out, Dr. Oz," Senator McCaskill said. "I get that you do a lot of good on your show. I understand that you give a lot of information that's great information... you're very talented and you're obviously very bright. You've been trained in science-based medicine... I don't get why you need to say this stuff when you know it's not true."

I'll give you a hint Senator.

It starts in $ and ends in $.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back