D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow, let's move from the love of Young Rich, his love-child Dave Boundy and the Raiders in general and look at this weeks round of games:

Two massive games this week as the Lions and Gryps fight to keep in the finals race with both probably needing to win al remain half dozen games - especially the Gryphons.

Emmaus St Leos vs La Trobe University - The relegation door is still ajar for the Animals and they need to put the Students away and build on their percentage which may be critical come the end of next month.
Monash Gryphons vs Old Eltham - The Gryps must beat the teams above them if they want a finals spot but really can't see that happening this round against the red-hot Turtles, even if the game is at East Caulfield.
Therry Penola vs Old Paradians - MotD and a true eight-pointer with a loss by the Lions making it near impossible for September action. All the love for the Raiders on the forum makes me a bit nervous in selecting them, but they continue to defy some critics and I think they do the same again here at Oak Park.
South Melbourne vs Prahran - The Two Blues were completely outplayed last week and I pity the Bloods in this one.
Bulleen Templestowe vs St Marys Salesian - The premiership favourites shouldn't have too much trouble handling the Saints.

Just did my ladder predictor for the rest of the year.

Results below- let the abuse begin.

Bulleen Templestowe 68
Eltham Collegians 56
Old Paradians 48
Prahran Assumption 44
Monash Gryphons 44
Therry Penola 36
St Mary's Salesian 30
Emmaus St Leos 12
La Trobe University 12
South Melbourne Districts 10

Percentage to decide 4th place and relegation.

Ressies for those interested

Bulleen Templestowe 68
Therry Penola 52
Old Paradians 48
Monash Gryphons 46
Prahran Assumption 42
Eltham Collegians 36
St Mary's Salesian 24
La Trobe University 20
Emmaus St Leos 16
South Melbourne Districts 8

Another big scalp by the Monash Yo Yo's. Skeed you owe me a hotdog!

Hey anyone see the Therry v OP game on Saturday? Would have expected Therry to be up and about given the stakes they were playing for.

Another big scalp by the Monash Yo Yo's. Skeed you owe me a hotdog!

Hey anyone see the Therry v OP game on Saturday? Would have expected Therry to be up and about given the stakes they were playing for.

Mustard and sauce on the hotdog as well johnny? An up week for the gryphs. Have to keep it going for 5 more weeks. Don't believe they can do it.
Agree Therry certainly didn't do you guys any favours either which makes the Prahran v Monash and Eltham v Parade games very interesting indeed.
Something to talk about at least.

Gentlemen,
What an interesting round of football. In particular, it was the game between Eltham and Monash that attracted the most attention. An upset win of epic proportions. The East Caulfield Reserve must still be jumping. I see that my man (according to Clint McCoy) Rich Hummerston was sent back to the twos, but the boys found inspiration enough to get up. Does anyone believe the Gryphs are capable of this football week in week out? If so, they should surely be feared come finals time (should they make it). Obviously the home ground advantage proved their greatest asset, as was seen in the result against Prahran. A win this week against last year's D3 premiers would signal a real challenge to the rest of the competition. The Old Parade boys may just be shaking their boots as they travel to East Caulfield later this year!

Yours in football,
Emile

Gentlemen,
Does anyone believe the Gryphs are capable of this football week in week out? If so, they should surely be feared come finals time (should they make it). Obviously the home ground advantage proved their greatest asset, as was seen in the result against Prahran. A win this week against last year's D3 premiers would signal a real challenge to the rest of the competition. The Old Parade boys may just be shaking their boots as they travel to East Caulfield later this year!

Yours in football,
Emile

The Gryphs would clearly be a team to watch come finals thanks to their ability to pull of an upset out of nowhere. However after watching D.Boundy kick the Raiders to another victory with 5 majors in yet another BOG performance, it seems too tough an assignment. For the sake of the contest however, a do-or die last round match up between the Yo-yo's and Raiders would certainly be a sight to see.

In other results, fantastic to see Latrobe notch up their first win for the season. The Students have been threatening for a few weeks with some spirited performances, and great to see them finally break through thanks to an enormous performance by 6 goal hero Carl Joyce

What are the thoughts on the big PA v Monash this week?

Monash have appeared to hit some form again, and PA are travelling steadily.

Does the 10 goal drubbing from their last meeting have any impact on this weekends battle?

Game out at Toorak Park, does this mean anything?

Big game for both clubs who are developing a rivalry having been promoted together last season.

Both sides know each other very well now, therefore both sides' good players Im sure will be identified.

Tip: Monash by 8 points if they can keep PA's match winners down.

What are the thoughts on the big PA v Monash this week?

Monash have appeared to hit some form again, and PA are travelling steadily.

Does the 10 goal drubbing from their last meeting have any impact on this weekends battle?

Game out at Toorak Park, does this mean anything?

Big game for both clubs who are developing a rivalry having been promoted together last season.

Both sides know each other very well now, therefore both sides' good players Im sure will be identified.

Tip: Monash by 8 points if they can keep PA's match winners down.

Big game indeed Whoami.. PA only had Pell out last start which would not count for the 10 goal loss, although the bigger ground will be in PA's favour. If monash can shut down Musster, Sleight and Pell they will win. Monash are going to need big games from there gun onballers Sheehan, Fletcher and Cherian..

Monash have struggled on the big grounds, losing at Eltham and more recently on a wet track at Garvey Oval.

Havent heard much about Sheehan this season, possible injury troubles?

However I am tipping Sleight to kick another bag and Musster to atone for a quiet game in the previous match up Vs the Gryphons.

Prahran to run over the top by 30 points

Just as the top 4 seems to be set we get a little twist each week. Will the same happen again this week? A couple of very important games again.
SMD to defeat St Marys by 12 points. Like the bold game plan of the Saints but they aren't experienced enough to pull it off week in and week out.
Therry will account for La Trobe but not by much. Predicting an 18 point win.
Bulleen will be far too strong for Emmaus. 50+ points
Eltham v Old Parade shapes as the match of the round. Turtles supporters been very quiet since the yo-yos turned them into soup last weekend. This match comes down to whoever wins the battle of the Old Parade defence versus the Turtles big bodied forwards. If Old Parade can keep the ball at ground level the big slow Turtles might struggle. Having said that I still think Eltham by 10 points in another low scoring affair.
Prahran v Monash another important clash. The yo yos have been up for a couple of weeks so it is time for a downer. Think the task of stopping Pell and Muster will be too tough for the Gryphs so the 2 blues to win by 22 points.

Progressive 44/60

Went out on a limb and got slaughtered in the tips last week. Two out of 5 is a bit rough and hurts my average. Will try and pick it up this week. 4 really big games as teams strive for finals or try to fight their way out of relegation.

Emmaus v La Trobe - 6 points. I really wanted to tip La Trobe this week and would have if they were playing at home. Emmaus have slightly better losing form getting closer to Parade and Therry. Emmaus also need this win to get out of the relegation threat so have a lot more to play for. The Baranello boys look like they are hitting some form so will get them across the line.

Monash v Eltham - 18 points. Big game for Monash if they wish to keep remote chances of finals alive. I just think the bigger boys of Eltham on the smaller ground will make it difficult. Fantastic win by Eltham last weekend will spur them on further and they are genuine contenders with the best defense and offense in the comp as their percentage shows. Tim 'Tiger' Woods to be the third forward which Monash wont have an answer for.

Therry v Parade - 15 points. Genuine 8 pointer as Parade look to solidify their finals spot and lock out any remaining contenders. Will be tough playing away and I expect a close game all day with both teams lacking a bit up forward and have miserly defenses. I talk about him a lot but Giddings would have to be a chance to take out the league BnF with his form this year. Seems to be left out in a lot of the top 10's posted in this forum and should be up there.

South v Prahran - 27 points. Could be an upset looming here. Prahran haven't had great form of late and Souths have been pushing the top teams and will be playing for their chance to stay up in D2. It's just their result against Therry last week that has me concerned for Souths. I agree with Arthur McArthur that Parsons hasn't had a great year and that Sleight and Musster are the ones to stop. Musster is very hard to match up on and for a small guy has a lot of run and heart.

Bulleen v St Marys - 54 points. Really the only game this week that wont have a bearing on how the ladder plays out. I expect a one sided affair and Bulleen to lead all day even though they have been slow starters for the second half of the season. Cherbakov is definitely a better player than Cowell. Add in his partner in crime Khouri, who is regaining form after having a spell a couple of weeks ago, and Bulleen should kick a decent score.

Good luck to all for what should be a rippa day at the footy tomorrow.

Progressive 47/65

South v St Marys - 8 points. Could end up a draw like round 8. Souths will want the win to get out of relegation zone so will want it more.

Emmaus v Bulleen - 48 points. Bulleen too strong. I kind of hope Emmaus get relegated.

Eltham v Parade - 13 points. Awesome game this. Eltham to bounce back after last week in front of the home crowd.

La Trobe v Therry - 2 points. La Trobe to push Therry all the way to the final siren at home.

Prahran v Monash - 19 points. Monash hitting a purple patch. They don't seem to play the big grounds well, so might be a struggle but think they have the form.

Good luck.

Round 13 Preview

Emmaus over Latrobe by 13 Pts (Latrobe have been far more competitive in recent weeks and it is rare for a side to go through a season without even one win so expect the Red & Blacks to push the Bennettswood Boys all the way. However, an Emmaus win is crucial in the relegation battle and they should do enough. I’ll take either Baranello for best afield).
Turtles over the Gryphs by 22 Pts (Monash defeated the Turtles at their last outing to East Caulfield back in 2009, but both squads are vastly different now and Eltham are the league leaders for scoring this season. Seb Ciavola may be kept quitter than normal by Lee Wells, but the truth is the Turtles possess a plethora of scoring options and will be too strong).
Paradians over Therry by 2 Pts (I called the four a coup-le of weeks back and stand by that claim still. However, if the Lions can hold off Parade at JPF Reserve I will eat some humble pie. With the stakes as high as they are, this could be one of the best games of the season and midfield dominance and contested ball win will be crucial. I see Parade having slightly better structures at stoppages than the home team and expect them to get home in a thriller. Giddings and Tulipano to be prominent).
PA’s over SMD by 31 Pts (There is no doubt that the Red and White’s will give a better effort than last week, but Prahran will also be keen to atone from their humbling at Eltham College. Expect a close first half, but Musster and Pell to dominate in the Premiership quarter).
Bulleen over SMS by 77 Pts (Even if Autio plays, expect the Bullants to pulverise their opponents in this one. Some on this forum seem to have forgotten how dominant Bulleen were early in the season and as their players return from injury, they will begin to hit top gear again).

Round 13 Review

3/5 (49/65 cumulative) was back to earth with a thud as Latrobe finally notched up a win with an 8 goal last quarter to snatch the points at Bundoora. Precise football was the order of the day as Carl ‘Barnaby’ Joyce was ruthless for the Trobers, whilst Emmaus were left to lick their wounds which may be a haemorrhage status come round 18 due to this loss.

The other upset was from East Caulfield where Monash once again showed that they have no peer when it comes to attack on the footy. This relentless pressure won them three finals last season against arguably more highly skilled opponents and continues to find teams lagging if they approach the Gryphs with the wrong attitude. Flowerday and Fletcher were at their scintillating best to bring home the bacon for the adoring home fans.

Elsewhere, Paradians booked their finals spot once and for all with a dominant display against the Lions – Boundy and Denham at their destructive and clinical best, whilst Prahran and Bulleen had dominant wins against much weaker opposition. The good news for the Four Blues and Parade is that Monash has re-opened the door for the double chance (ever so slightly) if The Turtles slip up on two more occasions.

Round 14 Preview

South over SMS by 14 Pts (At the risk of sounding too much like Dwayne Russell, the Bloods are “playing for their season” at least in relation to staying in this grade and this should be enough to get them over the line in a slog. I am making this assessment regardless of whether the combine have Autio playing or not. Matt ‘Dustin’ Hoffman to be prominent up forward).
Bulleen over Emmaus by 46 Pts (The presumably wet conditions are likely to have this margin shy of a blowout, however it could be a case of 12 goals to 4 at the final siren. Khouri and Cherbakov to dominate and make sure The Leos are never in the contest).
Turtles over Parade by 8 Pts (Dan Madden exclaimed that Parade were the strongest team he had seen all year after their demolition of Therry at Oak Park, and whilst this response may have been a little reactionary there is no doubt the Raiders can match it with any team in the competition. Eltham at home and on the rebound with the double chance up for grabs should prove too tough however, in a contest that is sure to go down to the wire. Feben and Crooks to be the difference).
Therry over Latrobe by 10 Pts (I give the home side a real chance of providing the upset of the round here as a similarly placed Gryphons outfit were very lucky to get the points a few weeks back. If the Trobers can be as efficient in their scoring this week they will win, but The Lions are no slouches and have played some pretty dominant football against the weaker teams this season. Expect Therry to hold on in a close contest).
Prahran over Monash by 16 Pts (Arguably the most intriguing fixture of the week as these two are beginning to establish a friendly and passionate rivalry. The Gryphs won at East Caulfield earlier in the year, but The Four Blues are a far more formidable opponent at Toorak Park and should be a little more clinical when it counts. Monash will look to quell the influence of Musster so expect others like Pell and Matheson to shine).

Good luck to all

Quasi

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will mean nothing if Parade beat Eltham this week.
Thats the game of the round in my opinion. Second spot and double chance still up for grabs.

Johnny, from reading your recent posts I think I'd be right in saying you have a vested interest in the Monash Gryphons. I've heard whispers round the traps that there might possibly be a mass exodus next season if the current coaches are still at the helm. Can you verify this or am I having my leg absolutely yanked to its tethers?

Also believe that Parade boys lead by Boundy will get up over the turtles this week and ruin any chance of a gryphon fairytale!

Pray for rain boys

Gentlemen,
Can't wait for this weekend's clashes. Some controversy there at the Gryphons? Disappointing considering there breathtaking heights at stages throughout the year. Will still stick with them this weekend given their form early against the two-blues. Parade will end their finals hopes by having a crushing win over the Turtles this weekend.

Here are this weeks results guys:
South
to tie with SMS
Bulleen over Emmaus by 2 Pts
Parade (to win easily) over Eltham by 40 Pts
Therry over Latrobe by 80 Pts
Monash over Prahran by 65 Pts

Yours in football,
Emile

Johnny, from reading your recent posts I think I'd be right in saying you have a vested interest in the Monash Gryphons. I've heard whispers round the traps that there might possibly be a mass exodus next season if the current coaches are still at the helm. Can you verify this or am I having my leg absolutely yanked to its tethers?

Sounds like there might be trouble in paradise down at East Caulfield Reserve? Interesting to see how they respond against the 6 Blues at Prahran

Also believe that Parade boys lead by Boundy will get up over the turtles this week and ruin any chance of a gryphon fairytale!

Pray for rain boys

Parade boys will put up a massive fight as always, but very hard to see them toppling the Turtles this week. Eltham will be hurting after dropping one against Monash, and on their home track should be too strong. Key for the Turtles will be shutting down Dave Boundy who is in red hot form. Could be his last season in the Green and Purple however, rumours are rife of a big money offer from out West from the Hamilton Imperials , watch this space...

I've heard whispers round the traps that there might possibly be a mass exodus next season if the current coaches are still at the helm. Can you verify this or am I having my leg absolutely yanked to its tethers?
Yes "Rainonmyparadians" Ive heard the same thing. The board down there are pretty unforgiving.
2 Grand final appearances in 2 years wouldn't be enough to save the current coaches. If they dont make the GF this year they will probably be shown the door.
On a lighter note is there anyone on this forum not from Monash?

Anyhow I reckon Paradians are gonna beat the Turtles. A couple of big outs from the Turtles this weekend should give Parade a huge opportunity to take the chocolates. Parade by 12.

Yes "Rainonmyparadians" Ive heard the same thing. The board down there are pretty unforgiving.
2 Grand final appearances in 2 years wouldn't be enough to save the current coaches. If they dont make the GF this year they will probably be shown the door.
On a lighter note is there anyone on this forum not from Monash?

Anyhow I reckon Paradians are gonna beat the Turtles. A couple of big outs from the Turtles this weekend should give Parade a huge opportunity to take the chocolates. Parade by 12.

They do sound like a very unforgiving board Johnny, by the sounds of the gryphons form in previous years sacking of the coaches would be very unwarranted! There do seem to be a lot of gryphons supporters on here, most of the chat is about their mob or our boys the raiders!

I would love to see our boys get up over the turtles Johnny, I hope your tip is correct!

Just wanted to start a bit of banter here fellas, who do we think are the leaders at this stage for league b & f?
My tips would have to be in order as follows:

P.Florance (B/T)
D.Boundy (Old P)
S.Ciavola (Elt)
M.Fletcher (Mon)
K.Cherbakov (B/T)
A.Pell (Pra)

Leave it at that boys

Just wanted to start a bit of banter here fellas, who do we think are the leaders at this stage for league b & f?

P.Florance (B/T)
D.Boundy (Old P)
S.Ciavola (Elt)
M.Fletcher (Mon)
K.Cherbakov (B/T)
A.Pell (Pra)

Leave it at that boys

Dave Boundy (Old Paradians) a clear favourite in my eyes. Watching him week in week out you get a massive appreciation of his will to impact the contest. Proven match winner.

Some other very good names in there RainOnMyParadians, would perhaps slot Sheehan (Mon) along with Joyce (Latrobe), seem to stand out in most games

P.Florance (B/T)
D.Boundy (Old P)
S.Ciavola (Elt)
M.Fletcher (Mon)
K.Cherbakov (B/T)
A.Pell (Pra)

Leave it at that boys
Pell hasnt played enough games. The winner probably has to come from BT. Problem is Florance has missed 4 or so games also. So doubt he can win. So probably Cowell or Cherbakov could be in front at BT.
I havent seen enough of Paradians but from the talk on here it would seem that Boundy is way out in front.
And Id reckon Whiteside or Galvin is in front at Elt. FF like Ciavola dont tend with win comp BF's unless they kick 100.

Heres my market.

Boundy $3.50
Cherbakov $5
Cowell $6.75
Whiteside $8
Galvin, Florance $10
Anyone from PA or Monash $15
Any other player $8

Mmmm, has he been nobbled? No review/preview by Big Rich on the VAFA website yesterday, although his supporters from Raider-nation are still about. Anyhow.

South Melbourne vs St Marys Salesian - The Swans were very competative against the pre-season premiership favourites last week, and with the door still ajar to avoid the drop may be just that bit too desperate for the Saints, although they can't afford too may slip-ups as well.
Emmaus St Leos vs Bulleen Templestowe - The Leo-the-Lions could find themselves in the drop zone come games end, especially if the Bullants inflict a similar pasting that they gave to the Saints last week.
Old Eltham vs Old Paradians - The Raiders still believe that they can get the double-chance, although their percentage may eventually be the stumbling block, and if they can grab back the Plenty Valley Cup from the Turtles for the year it will be a start.
La Trobe University vs Therry Penola - The Lion's season is on the brink and can't afford to drop this one, although word out of the northern university is that the Students believe that they can salvage their season and avoid the drop. Another win here would be agood start.
Prahran vs Monash Gryphons - Yes, the East Caulfield boys need to keep winning and hope for results to go their way to sneak into finals action but the Toorak Toffies will probably snuff out that hope with a solid win here.

Only surprise with the results were some of the margins, especially given the weather. With the exception of a feint hope for Therry the 4 looks to be set. The Therry v Monash game this week will see if Therry can keep that hope alive. With the Gryphs coaches' jobs on the line (according to Johhny) it will be interesting to see how they go.
Only other interest until finals time will be the relegation battle. Which team will join La Trobe in Div 3?

Remember at the start of the year no one gave BT a chance. Eat your words my friends!
Also expect a BT vs Prahran GF.

Hey Rocket - I heard a couple (2) of blokes chatting about you after a game that I was at on the weekend - BT supporters/ players etc would be most interested to know who you really are.... as I am sure others would as well.

I'm out at Bulleen in a couple of weeks - I might just drop your real name in the hope you venture that way again soon as well...... Im sure they would love to make you feel welcome!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back