D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good too see another poster not from Monash! This thread has been taken over by yo-yo's..
Also congrats on getting more than a sentence out of rosejam, who has had limited impact on discussions recently.

I am very much looking forward to an exciting finals series, and will put in a few tips here.

Bulleen are shoe-ins to make it through to the big dance, hiccup last week will only make them stronger come finals.
Eltham have begun to falter slightly, and cracks are appearing. Watch this space..
Prahran proven finals pedigree, with match winners on every line. Parsons, Musster and Sleight hold the key
Parade havent been given much of a chance on here, but with D.Boundy in career best form, the Raiders are primed for a run at the cup

I would hardly say that cracks are appearing at the Turtles, we've lost 4 games all year, and these recent 'falters' you're speaking of are both away from home against a desperate Gryphons outfit who have only lost once at home all year, and the ladder leaders Bulleen again away from home.

I think on neutral finals grounds Eltham are as strong a prospect as any for the big dance. I would argue that on a big ground Eltham could start favorites even against the Ants.

Ciavola will hit 20 goals for the finals series!

Emmaus St Leos vs St Marys Salesian - With the Leo-the-Lions all but consigned to the drop for next season they get one last chance for a win against the Saints who have just survived by the skin of their teeth and the reverse win over the Students earlier in the season.
Old Paradians vs Bulleen Templestowe - Nothing to lose for the Bullants while the Raiders still have a team looking to replace them and therefore they may be a touch more desperate for the win, especially at home.
Therry Penola vs Old Eltham - The tree-huggers double chance position is severely under threat and they need to conquer the Lions whose form has been inconsistent at best.
La Trobe University vs Prahran - With an opportunity to potentially take over second spot can't see the Two Blues falling to the Students on the Plenty Road expanse.
South Melbourne vs Monash Gryphons - The Grypos still yearn for that last finals spot and would need to get a massive win here against the Bloods to set potentially set up what could be an elimination final next week.

Paradians sending shock waves through the competition! Another BOG performance along with 3 goals for Dave Boundy, and the Raiders are hitting their stride at the right time of the season. Rocket66 and his BT boys must be getting a touch worried

Turtles are hiring their straps leading into September despite some think they have been shaky. If we are to question the stability of any top 4 team compared to their early fourm it would have to be Bulleen.

Though I've been impressed with what I've seen of them, recent results would suggest their are either resting, experimenting or plain not as disciplined as they were in the early rounds.

As even as ever,

FF

Paradians sending shock waves through the competition! Another BOG performance along with 3 goals for Dave Boundy, and the Raiders are hitting their stride at the right time of the season. Rocket66 and his BT boys must be getting a touch worried
Just hoping for some dry conditions and some decent grounds come finals time.
Surely parade have the worst ground in D2?

Turtles are hiring their straps leading into September despite some think they have been shaky. If we are to question the stability of any top 4 team compared to their early fourm it would have to be Bulleen.

Though I've been impressed with what I've seen of them, recent results would suggest their are either resting, experimenting or plain not as disciplined as they were in the early rounds.

As even as ever,

FF

Your kidding aren't you. Eltham lost by 5 goals to Bulleen last week. I don't think Bulleen will be too worried about any Turtles "hiring their straps". Might want tell your team that finals games are being filmed so concentrate on the footy.

Well played Parade. Another gutsy win in the wet against Bulleen. A good rivalry is developing.

Your kidding aren't you. Eltham lost by 5 goals to Bulleen last week. I don't think Bulleen will be too worried about any Turtles "hiring their straps". Might want tell your team that finals games are being filmed so concentrate on the footy.

Well played Parade. Another gutsy win in the wet against Bulleen. A good rivalry is developing.

A bit of a typo there, should have read "Hitting their straps"...

I can't argue against Bulleen having won convincingly in both clashes against the Turtles, however they certainly have lost the ora of invincibility they had in the middle of the year;2-2 in the past month.

What was an early season slip-up against Parade now looks like a genuine bogey team. What do you think RainOnMyParadians?

Just a quick question since I haven't seen Parade play but what happens if Dave Boundy goes down (injury or good tag)? Does Parade have the numbers to fill the void? As I said, not stirring the pot, but seems to me as though there is a lot put on his shoulders, so why have other teams not devised a way to take him out of the game (legitamately)?

Actually just looked at the VAFA site to see :Best Players: D. Strantzen, L. Dore, P. Pratt, J. Kappos, D. Spitty, A. Posterino. So where was Jerry Granolas Boundy BOG?

Actually just looked at the VAFA site to see :Best Players: D. Strantzen, L. Dore, P. Pratt, J. Kappos, D. Spitty, A. Posterino. So where was Jerry Granolas Boundy BOG?

Pretty standard practice these days, many teams seem to name a bogus best players list in the VAFA record in order to deflect attention away from the elite players to avoid a tag

Pretty standard practice these days, many teams seem to name a bogus best players list in the VAFA record in order to deflect attention away from the elite players to avoid a tag
Pretty sure hiding Boundy is a pointless exercise, his name gets put up in lights every week, Jerry you sing his praises on here every time you post. ;) Every club knows who are the guns of other clubs pretty quickly.

Pretty sure hiding Boundy is a pointless exercise, his name gets put up in lights every week, Jerry you sing his praises on here every time you post. ;) Every club knows who are the guns of other clubs pretty quickly.

You're right about that lout! Expecting Boundy to make a huge impact come finals and looking forward to seeing what other clubs throw up to try quell his influence

Boundy kicked 3 goals in a side that only registered 7 majors for the game. You think that would land you in the best 6 when you're the only multiple goal scorer. He's only been named in the best 4 times this year, notably a 5 goal performance against Therry and a 7 goal performance against La Trobe not landing him a mention in the best.

I'm with Granola here some clubs do seem to be getting creative with their VAFA record entries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say I was surprised to see Parade's win. Maybe the big preseason by the Ants made them look better than they really are (though Prahran did the same in D3 last year and were able to maintain the effort). May have to rethink Ants v Turtles or 2 Blues GF.
Has the finals venue been selected yet? Size of ground likely to have some bearing on who makes it.

Very quiet without Monash posters. Johnny whats going on? Run out of opinions? Will the gryphs go out with a bang or a whimper against Parade this week?
Very dissapointed down Monash land Skeed. Half time we heard OP were spanking BT and that was enough to drop the ball. Very good side in this week and with OP not playing for anything Im tipping the Gryphons by 30 pts. Also tipping the Magoos by 50.
Very interesting final series coming up... You could make a case for every side.
Ill give my finals tips and summary next week. Will also expose the weaknesses of each finals team.

Round 17 Preview

Emmaus over SMS by 54 pts (The Animals clearly match up well against the Gryphs and played some pretty accountable and effective football last week, so if they can keep that intensity going for another round they will do this in a canter. The wet conditions the only thing keeping it from being a complete thrashing. Lawrie Virgo to be best afield).

Parade over Bulleen by 8 Pts (Call me crazy, but I feel the Bullants may be a little flat in this one as top spot is a forgone conclusion and the Raiders fancy themselves in every contest – especially at home. Boundy’s men are tougher at the contest than any and may be suited to the slow track. Sage and Millar to be the difference).
Therry over Eltham by 5 pts (I feel it could be a round of upsets and Therry were far from disgraced last time out. Eltham are a very good side, but may not make the 33 km cross town trip too easily. Will be close all day but Doyle and Biddlestone will ensure the Oak Park faithful finish their home season with a win).

PA over Latrobe by 22 Pts (The motivation levels are still sure to be high at Orrong Rd, so no upset is likely, however, the Trobers will be keen to try and get one more scalp and a final home game is their outside chance. Poor conditions will keep scoring down, but the Four Blues will do enough in a mediocre contest).

Monash over South by 10 Pts (The Gryphons inconsistent form will likely have them drop this, but coaches McDonald and Warren will still be clinging to mathematical possibilities and will have kept their charges focused enough during the week. The Bloods similarly have a mixed bag of form and will look the winner at some stage however I feel the Gryphs will just get the chocolates. Daniel McConville to relish the wet conditions and be defining in the outcome).

Round 17 Review

2/5 (63/85 cumulative) was a poor return, but what the hey, I am fast becoming sick of this season and tipped a few outsiders. Parade may have announced themselves as a serious contender after a stirring performance at Bundoora. I would argue we have the most open premiership race in years as any of the top 4 could beat one another on a given day. Much like others on the forum, I suspect ground conditions and size will dictate the outcome in the finals. Prahran and Eltham won without much fuss as good sides do on a day where mudlarks and ducks were at their best. Full credit to South Districts and St Marys who showed why they have avoided relegation – guts and determination when it counts – having unexpected wins. The magnitude of the Bloods win at Lindsay Hassett laid claims to South being the most improved side of the second half of the season.

Round 18 Preview

Parade over Monash by 6 Pts (On last weeks form the Raiders will do this in a canter, but they clearly have the toughest assignment of the four finalists as the Gryphs have already knocked off Prahran and Eltham on their home patch and will be keen to make it one more. I suspect much of their chance rests with the inclusion of the great Lee Wells back from injury. The Gryphs have sorely missed his heroics down back over the past fortnight and he is the heart and soul of East Caulfield Reserve. Monash will probably pinch this one, but they are pitted against a side chock full of confidence and talent who are most unlikely to cut their hosts any slack. Luke Dore to be best afield).

Turtles over South by 55 Pts (The Bloods have been very good in recent weeks but most likely played their ‘final’ last time out. Eltham have the double chance to play for and will have this in the bag by the main break. Sab Ciavola was not suited to the bog last time out and could have a ‘field day’ up forward. Old Eltham easily)

Therry over SMS by 11 Pts (The Lions have been largely disappointing this year, particularly in the second half of the season, so I give the Saints some chance. However, St Mary’s have put in some ordinary performances themselves and will probably not have the raw talent to cause the upset. Rowe and Egglestone to be prominent for the visitors).

Bulleen over Latrobe by 67 Pts (Seldom is there a final round without an upset result, but surely one cannot see it happening here. Whilst the Bullants have the double chance sewn up they will still want to take out the minor premiership and will do this easily).

Prahran over Emmaus by 52 Pts (If the Four Blues bring their A-Game, the margin could be a cricket score, but Prahran have shown this ruthless streak only on occasions in 2012 and will more than likely therefore only cruise to victory. Jimmy Musster has already clocked up about five best on grounds this season, so the odds are short on him making this a half D).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Must say I was surprised to see Parade's win. Maybe the big preseason by the Ants made them look better than they really are (though Prahran did the same in D3 last year and were able to maintain the effort). May have to rethink Ants v Turtles or 2 Blues GF.
Has the finals venue been selected yet? Size of ground likely to have some bearing on who makes it.

Shouldn't have been a surprise 'skeed stane' as it is now 4-0 in the Raiders favour over the past two seasons (so far!). Although both were relegated from D1 from last season, the Raiders did beat the Bullants on both occasions. Some teams just match-up better against a certain opposition.

While the statisticians have laid out plenty of the combinations for the final placings of the top four that could result from the last round the safest bet is that the order of the top teams will remain as it is prior to the final round.

Monash Gryphons vs Old Paradians - With their season blown by last weeks uninspiring effort the Blues will be looking for one last win to hang their season hat on but the Raiders are a stout outfit and should be able to withstand the fierce battle ahead.
Old Eltham vs South Melbourne - The Collegians shouldn't, and won't be taking the Bloods lightly, especially with a possible loss of the double chance the result.
St Mary's Salesian vs Therry Penola - The Lions are another team that hasn't always brought their A-Game to the table each week but they should round out a disappointing season with a win over the Saints.
Bulleen Templestowe vs La Trobe University - The premiership favourite Bullants will be looking for a nice afternoon against the Students as they ease themselves in readiness for the finals.
Prahran vs Emmaus St Leos - The Two Blues will probably rue some missed opportunities, eg the double chance, but shouldn't have too many issues getting over the Leo-the-Lions.

Jerry were you at East Caulfield on Saturday? I was an interested observer for first time. Sorry I didn't catch up for the hot dog I owe you Johnny.
While Parade didn't have much to play for they were well and truly beaten by Monash. Boundless (sorry Boundy) very ordinary and well held. Not sure if he was dragged or left the ground in disinterest in the last quarter. From my side of the ground he and the coach were having a "heart to heart" on the sideline. Could have been discussing anything though.
If he was in the running for league b&f he wouldn't have polled a vote Saturday.
Parade will need to improve 1000% to worry Prahran next week.

Finals venue announced: Bill Lawry Oval Northcote.
Ground very similar in dimensions to that of all 4 finals teams (it's amazing what Google Earth can do)

Jerry were you at East Caulfield on Saturday? I was an interested observer for first time. Sorry I didn't catch up for the hot dog I owe you Johnny.
While Parade didn't have much to play for they were well and truly beaten by Monash. Boundless (sorry Boundy) very ordinary and well held. Not sure if he was dragged or left the ground in disinterest in the last quarter. From my side of the ground he and the coach were having a "heart to heart" on the sideline. Could have been discussing anything though.
If he was in the running for league b&f he wouldn't have polled a vote Saturday.
Chatting to himself again was he ? We've told him about doing that in public ;)

Dead rubber of a game. Unhappy to lose, but just as beating Bulleen twice in the home and away doesn't win you a flag, losing to Monash isn't exactly panic stations either

Did get down to ECR to watch the boys run around Saturday. Very hard to get up for games such as that, deadest of dead rubbers, injury prevention the key. The Great Man Dave Boundy kept reasonably quiet and put himself in cotton wool the last quarter along with the rest of the side who appeared to have put the cue in the rack, preparing for the huge game next week.. I cannot wait

Did get down to ECR to watch the boys run around Saturday. Very hard to get up for games such as that, deadest of dead rubbers, injury prevention the key. The Great Man Dave Boundy kept reasonably quiet and put himself in cotton wool the last quarter along with the rest of the side who appeared to have put the cue in the rack, preparing for the huge game next week.. I cannot wait
Jerry are you Boundy or is this just a man crush?;)

Finals venue announced: Bill Lawry Oval Northcote.
Ground very similar in dimensions to that of all 4 finals teams (it's amazing what Google Earth can do)
Don't know if the Ammos have made a stuff up, they have Prahran and OP's listed to play Central Reserve in Glen Waverley and BT and Eltham at Bill Lawry??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back