Division 3 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Although it's funny, you head over to the d3 thread and they're saying SFL D3 it better than VAFA D2.
Hawthorn beat Lyndale by 10 goals in a praccy last year and beat South Yarra by 9 points this year with about 10 players out. There is no way SFL Div 3 is even close to VAFA Div 2. I would say it's equal to VAFA Div 4.

Hawthorn beat Lyndale by 10 goals in a praccy last year and beat South Yarra by 9 points this year with about 10 players out. There is no way SFL Div 3 is even close to VAFA Div 2. I would say it's equal to VAFA Div 4.
Oh Yeah, I wasn't saying I agreed. I was just stating their beliefs. I'm not very knowledgable on the difference in leagues, as I've not played in the SFL before. But from what I've seen you seem pretty on point.

Oh Yeah, I wasn't saying I agreed. I was just stating their beliefs. I'm not very knowledgable on the difference in leagues, as I've not played in the SFL before. But from what I've seen you seem pretty on point.

Last years D# runner up beat the two grand finisles by 6goals and 12 goals
Although it's funny, you head over to the d3 thread and they're saying SFL D3 it better than VAFA D2.

The results don't back that up... last years GF VAFA D3 team played both GF SFL D3 teams in preseason winning both game easily.

And Lyndale beat Hawthorn the year before that. You can't compare based on practice matches. Too many clubs either have massive unavailability or they switch their teams around position wise throughout the four quarters.

Anyone know the result from the Aquinas vs Highett (SFL D2) game on the weekend?

Aquinas Seniors won by between 8-10 goals, I'm not sure what Highett were like in terms of numbers but we had 7-8 senior players out with various commitments/injuries etc.

Our Reserves won by about 6 goals, they only had 16 players so we gave them a couple for much of the day, I would have rathered just play 16 V 16 but that's what the coaches agreed to

Onto Caulfield this week and hopefully another strong performance from The Bloods will have us confident heading into Round 1

Aquinas Seniors won by between 8-10 goals, I'm not sure what Highett were like in terms of numbers but we had 7-8 senior players out with various commitments/injuries etc.

Our Reserves won by about 6 goals, they only had 16 players so we gave them a couple for much of the day, I would have rathered just play 16 V 16 but that's what the coaches agreed to

Onto Caulfield this week and hopefully another strong performance from The Bloods will have us confident heading into Round 1

The bloods looked threatening towards the end of last season, my pick has them as a top 3 team

Thanks for the info CB! Good luck for the season ahead.

You can't just do it on talent alone, you need a game plan..........
their game plan is very simple, up and down football, but im assuming they will build upon that, at least that should be the plan

their game plan is very simple, up and down football, but im assuming they will build upon that, at least that should be the plan

Need to wait and see but that was the issues in the higher grades and the finals last year - The two most talented sides by a long way last year were AQ and St Leos and neither team went up.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to wait and see but that was the issues in the higher grades and the finals last year - The two most talented sides by a long way last year were AQ and St Leos and neither team went up.....
may agree, i thought NB were pretty talented through their mids and RC worked very well with their talented talls, but no doubt structure and game plan let those two teams down last season, RC and NB had a clear game plan which involved going backwards and switching and hand balling which maybe proved the difference over Emmaus and the Bloods predictable direct long kicking game

Hey CB. How did the game v Caulfield go?

I couldn't make it down there but I read a social media message somewhere that Caulfield got up in the ones? Apparently they had 20 plus missing for the day and were scratching a bit for numbers in the two's?

Hey CB. How did the game v Caulfield go?

I couldn't make it down there but I read a social media message somewhere that Caulfield got up in the ones? Apparently they had 20 plus missing for the day and were scratching a bit for numbers in the two's?

Bears were low on numbers but were still able to field two sides - better effort than the week before.
Bloods reserves won 18.8 to 1.4
Bears seniors won 13.9 to 7.12

A few injuries for the bloods put a real dampener on the day. Preseason injuries are the pits.
One more week and we're on boys. Round 1 here we come.

Bears were low on numbers but were still able to field two sides - better effort than the week before.
Bloods reserves won 18.8 to 1.4
Bears seniors won 13.9 to 7.12

A few injuries for the bloods put a real dampener on the day. Preseason injuries are the pits.
One more week and we're on boys. Round 1 here we come.

Thanks for the info Dino! Bummer re the injuries. Good luck for the upcoming season!

Just heard that if a side couldn't consistently and assuredly field a reserves team that it could be a bye, rather than a week-by-week potential for the forfeit.

SFX Facebook page put this out last night:
"We will be holding a meeting next Tuesday 7th April at the club to discuss our immediate situation and canvas ideas for club progression and improvement. All are welcome.

To compete in 2015 we need more players but also volunteers to assist the club. Anyone interested should come down.

7:15pm@ SFXOC Club rooms, SFX Beaconsfield campus"

Does anyone know exactly how bad the situation is over there?

Nine days out from season opener, time to dust off the crystal ball.
Round 1.
Aquinas v St Francis Xavier
Emmaus v Albert Park
UHS VU v Power House
West Bruns. v Hawthorn
Swinburne V Glen Eira
Eley Park v LaTrobe

A couple of each way bets here. However, someone has to win. Could not pick margins but expect a bit of form changes this season.
Can Aquinas ever get out of the Div 3 quicksand? Winning form is good form so expect a good showing from West Brunny.
Hawthorn should show well too. Uni sides tend to yoyo a bit from season to season so I think it might be the case for LaTrobe.
Glen Eira should bring a competitive game to Div 3. but won't trouble top teams remaining from last year.
Top 5 in random order, Aquinas, Emmaus, West Bruns. Hawthorn and Swinburne.

Good luck to all clubs.

Aquinas v St Francis Xavier
Emmaus v Albert Park
UHS VU v Power House
West Bruns. v Hawthorn
Swinburne V Glen Eira
Eley Park v LaTrobe

feeling something fairly similar, ill give GE the benefit this round - haven't seen them play for a few years though.
hopefully SFX survive, crisis meetings cant be a good sign.

A 'crisis meeting' a few days before the season might get some enthusiasm and a few extra bodies to get you through the first month, but what happens in June / July when it's cold and wet and there's a dozen plus out injured and a few off overseas? Even clubs with good numbers can find themselves struggling to get 22 for the 2's mid year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back