Do the equalisation methods need tweaking?

Remove this Banner Ad

the bidding system is the way to go, unfortunately its in the games interest that some of these NSW/QLD kids stay in home state to help promote,

but,

Sydney getting Mills @ 3 for 33, 36, 37 and 43 is a rort and needs addressing asap. There isn't a club alive that would cash in those picks for #3. EVER.
points system needs addressing.

Agree round 2 and 3 picks are over valued.

Round 4 picks should be worth nothing.

bidding system is yet another example of the AFL manipulating the natural order of things.

it's just rules and procedures to counter the effects of other rules and procedures. it's arbitrary, all becoming a joke, and quite frankly - BS.

so are you saying you would prefer not to have priority access to NSW Academy players?

It's officially the off season, so time for an off season thread!

So, in the last 15 years, 7 clubs have won flags. Those same 7 clubs have also been runners up 9 times in the last 7 years. It wouldn't be surprising if one of those 7 clubs won again next year, with Hawthorn, West Coast, Sydney and possibly Geelong aiming for the top 4 again.

Now, based on these figures it's pretty hard to say that the current equalisation methods employed by the AFL (that being the draft and the salary cap) aren't doing a very good job.

I think everyone agrees that a competition which has a healthy rotation of sides competing is much more enjoyable (unless of course your side is at the top). So what changes can be implemented to try and achieve this? Or is everything fine and once we have a few years of uninterrupted drafts we'll be okay?

I think we need to look at the structure of the draft. I don't think the way it works at the moment is ideal for the way Australian Football is played. There's probably no other team sport where the performance of one individual player is so relatively small. And yet the idea of the draft is that you can rebuild by getting to pick one player per round.

I think we should look at a draft that increases the amount of picks per round for the lower ranked side. Something like last place gets picks 1&10, second last gets 2&12, etc. Or something like that. Speed up the process of rebuilding through the draft.
Once GWS and GC have run out of first round special treats, COLA has been put to bed and Brisvegas start to show a profit...things should find their own balance.
The next burning question will be who goes to Tassie or gets to become part of a merger.
Could not be for another 10 years though,but it will happen eventually.

Once GWS and GC have run out of first round special treats, COLA has been put to bed and Brisvegas start to show a profit...things should find their own balance.
The next burning question will be who goes to Tassie or gets to become part of a merger.
Could not be for another 10 years though,but it will happen eventually.

The launching pad into Q & NSW will take another 20 years.

Equalisation based on the FIXture for Melbourne clubs will only change when FTA TV coverage is gone, how long?

The launching pad into Q & NSW will take another 20 years.

Equalisation based on the FIXture for Melbourne clubs will only change when FTA TV coverage is gone, how long?
Fixture will always take into account drawing power, FTA or pay.
If the AFL started their own channel....even then advertisers would be wanting the biggest audience.
Fact of life.

Agree round 2 and 3 picks are over valued.

Round 4 picks should be worth nothing.
Do you have absolutely any evidence to support this? Picks 53-56 have played an average of 52 AFL matches and picks 21-24 have played an average of 53 AFL matches, plus the AFL's own salary data shows players from those picks are currently paid at extremely similar levels.

Do you have absolutely any evidence to support this? Picks 53-56 have played an average of 52 AFL matches and picks 21-24 have played an average of 53 AFL matches, plus the AFL's own salary data shows players from those picks are currently paid at extremely similar levels.

And yet would any team trade pick 3 for 3 picks in the 30's? Would any do it for 4 picks? 5? I'm not sure anyone would, because those elite level players are worth a lot more to a team with premiership aspirations than a bunch of dud picks that are unlikely to come off.

Some clubs only use 3 picks in some years (The crows used 2 this year).

How would you stop the clubs moving back wards in the draft order, but gaining more points.

Main problem with the draft is it was designed on US sports where the worst performing teams choose ready made plYers fronm the college system

Impossible to implement a college system here so its alwyas goint to have flaws

US sports also have a huge number of administrators watching for rorting of the college system

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of rubbish & you do/should know it nic, WA & SA contribute a surplus to the player pool, so does Tas & NT - tell us about Vic, do they take more than they contribute?

Don't know why you call me "nic" it's the second time you've done it and I have no idea what you're referring to.

IF Victorian clubs as a whole draft more players from other states than they contribute then that goes against the whole argument for the northern academies in the first place as the Victorian clubs will be more susceptible to losing players due to the "go home" factor - which is what was the crux of the discussion if you would care to follow.

Don't know why you call me "nic" it's the second time you've done it and I have no idea what you're referring to.

IF Victorian clubs as a whole draft more players from other states than they contribute then that goes against the whole argument for the northern academies in the first place as the Victorian clubs will be more susceptible to losing players due to the "go home" factor - which is what was the crux of the discussion if you would care to follow.

Where the player pool comes from is as relevant as where they end up playing?

I think with the bidding they should get rid of the discount but then add 20% to a clubs original picks value but not for traded picks.

That way you won't see this trading for 8 pics in the 60s to get a top ten player.

Main problem with the draft is it was designed on US sports where the worst performing teams choose ready made plYers fronm the college system

Impossible to implement a college system here so its alwyas goint to have flaws

US sports also have a huge number of administrators watching for rorting of the college system

we dont need a college system. Players could just be drafted out of an entirely viable state league system, instead of being pulled out of the under 18s.

I think with the bidding they should get rid of the discount but then add 20% to a clubs original picks value but not for traded picks.

That way you won't see this trading for 8 pics in the 60s to get a top ten player.
Good idea in theory but it'd likely stifle a lot of trading and make player movement hard.

I think the problem needs to be addressed with the value of later picks compared to early ones. Either the later picks value needs to be lowered or the AFL needs to grow some balls and veto trades that we all know are a grab for points.

Could even make it that when matching a bid that the first pick used in the matching process must be within a certain amount of spots of the bidded pick.

So if the northern clubs lost priority access to the academy kids, would it stop Australian rules football in NSW/Qld?

No but it's not black and white, it wouldn't help. We are up against League which have the advantage of no draft system at all as well as a massive feeder club system and huge development squads.

No but it's not black and white, it wouldn't help. We are up against League which have the advantage of no draft system at all as well as a massive feeder club system and huge development squads.

The academies are about growing local talent & as I recall Heeney was the 1st to draw comment from clubs who have always had father /son - grabbing a kid like Heeney out of Newcastle is why the academies are a key driver of developing talent in non traditional Aussie Rules areas.

we dont need a college system. Players could just be drafted out of an entirely viable state league system, instead of being pulled out of the under 18s.

Mature age players ex State leagues are not attractive to recruiters as they are rarely going on to be regular AFL players.

The academies are about growing local talent & as I recall Heeney was the 1st to draw comment from clubs who have always had father /son - grabbing a kid like Heeney out of Newcastle is why the academies are a key driver of developing talent in non traditional Aussie Rules areas.

Understand that, but every non-NSW club in the League would invest in NSW junior talent if they could swap pick 33,36,38 etc for pick 3. Or have access to Heeney, Mills and still have father son. Understand for GWS but not Swans.

Understand that, but every non-NSW club in the League would invest in NSW junior talent if they could swap pick 33,36,38 etc for pick 3. Or have access to Heeney, Mills and still have father son. Understand for GWS but not Swans.
But it's also about boosting the ratio of home grown in those teams.

So Heeney would be playing Rugby - we need NSW & Q to grow our game, we need the talent too.

My lot have lost a GF to the Swans but its good for our game & the Swans are doing the hard yards on the ground.

But it's also about boosting the ratio of home grown in those teams.

But that reasoning works no matter how much they pay. If Sydney got Heeney for free, it would be about boosting the ratio. If they had to pay pick 18, it would be about the ratio. If they had to somehow get pick 2, it would be about the ratio.

The overall goal doesn't change just because of clubs getting a pretty big discount. If academy clubs had to pay more, it would still help the ratio, but it wouldn't be giving them such a big leg up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back