Do we have enough $$$ to keep Danger and Tippett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re the Dangerfield trade deal.

It was speculated last time before he signed and it will be speculated everytime before he signs that he wants to go back to Geelong. It must be novel for us because we have a gun interstate player but Victorian clubs must hear this all the time when star SA players are coming up for contract.

It is what it is but on the field it looks like the team is buying into what Sando is saying and that will more than likely be the deciding factor. Hopefully though, he signs a three year contract this time

Menz has just bought a house in Geelong. Couldnt see him doing that if he was planning a return home anytime soon.

I have no idea if he is, but why do people always throw this one up?

he is a young man, with plenty of cash, who buys a house in an area he knows.....seems like pretty standard investment advice to me.

I've known of AFL players with properties in nearly ever state, but they didn't play for teams in the area. Hell I know of a particular player who bought a place in Adelaide 3 months before asking to be traded out.

I have no idea if he is, but why do people always throw this one up?

he is a young man, with plenty of cash, who buys a house in an area he knows.....seems like pretty standard investment advice to me.

I've known of AFL players with properties in nearly ever state, but they didn't play for teams in the area. Hell I know of a particular player who bought a place in Adelaide 3 months before asking to be traded out.

It's strange isn't it? A person I know bought a house and moved it on within 3 months, due to accepting a job offer elsewhere. Just like any other tangible asset, a house can be sold once bought.

What's Tippet's true value to the team?

I'd say just his presence in the forward line is value enough (this seems to be Sandos view) and any goals or tackles or 1 percenters he contributes are a bonus.

Saturday night I was very critical of his game until I watched the replay. He had a very good first qtr. seemed to disappear after this but was double and triple teamed all night allowing the other forwards opportunities.
Walker in particular was "one on one" most of the time and made the most of it.
The crumbers did well from the spillages and Callinan's first goal was the result of a Tippet free.
I think one of the commentators mentioned in the last quarter Tippet was very quiet and needed to take a big mark but I think the opposition coaches play into Sando's hands when they go all out to stop Tippet. Our other forwards reap the benefits and it makes for a productive forward line.

Take him out of the equation and the opposition coach is let off the hook!

I would do Menzel for Tex and that is all.

Actually, maybe a Thompson/Dangerfield would be alright too. Menzel will be an absolute gun. Was kicking bags and marking everything before getting injured.

If you had Tex and Menzel in the same team, I'd be so freaking scared of Adelaide, you have NO idea.

Sando recently said that he would be shattered if either or both left after this year. Both have been on fire (Danger more so) early and both look to be essential to our future. Do we have enough cap to keep both, or will one or both move on knowing other teams will no doubt be throwing the kicthen sink at these guys? And how would keeping these guys affect the resigning of our other rising stars like Sloane, Tex etc

If worst comes to worst, I say keep Danger for big $$$ and trade Kurt to QLD for high picks.

One question I want to know is that if we dont have the cash for Dangerfield and Tippett then surely Hawthorn have to be over the salary cap.

If we cant afford Tippett and Dangerfield then how on earth are Hawthorn paying Franklin, Hodges, Mitchell, Roughead, Burgoyne, Rioli, Gibson and Hale market value ? Sometimes I think we are too honest for our own good.

I would do Menzel for Tex and that is all.

Actually, maybe a Thompson/Dangerfield would be alright too. Menzel will be an absolute gun. Was kicking bags and marking everything before getting injured.

If you had Tex and Menzel in the same team, I'd be so freaking scared of Adelaide, you have NO idea.
Look... this is the silly thing when fans talk up trade options from their club.

They always say what a freaking gun they are... if they were that good you wouldn't be using them as a bargaining chip.

One question I want to know is that if we dont have the cash for Dangerfield and Tippett then surely Hawthorn have to be over the salary cap.
If we cant afford Tippett and Dangerfield then how on earth are Hawthorn paying Franklin, Hodges, Mitchell, Roughead, Burgoyne, Rioli, Gibson and Hale market value ? Sometimes I think we are too honest for our own good.

Dont get me started Relapse, I have been going on about this for years....

Not just do they have some of the games best players but they attract at least one big name each trade period........ Absoloute cheats!

And there supporters say it is because they are a 'family club'!

Or it is because they are successful!... They have played in one Grand Final in the past 20 years putting them infront of only the Bulldogs and Richmond of the established clubs...

Look... this is the silly thing when fans talk up trade options from their club.

They always say what a freaking gun they are... if they were that good you wouldn't be using them as a bargaining chip.

The reverse happens too. Remember the Jacobs saga? There were a fair few Carlton supporters telling us how bad Walker was only to involve him in their trade ideas in the next sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am annoyed by this story. I think Tippett is still 50/50 on staying with us, but I'd be shocked/staggered/gobsmacked if Danger left us. As Freddy suggested, surely we would have more cash to offer Danger than a team like Geelong or Hawthorn.

I love his passion, commitment and work ethic for the club. He's one of the last players I would expect to leave due to the "go home factor".

As for suggesting Menzel for Dangerfield as a justified trade, what a ridiculous suggestion that was by the Melbourne media. One is in career best form and looks to becoming one of the premier midfielder/forwards in the comp, the other is a young small forward coming off an ACL injury. I can't think of many returns that I would be satisfied with for Danger if we somehow lost him.

Saw a tweet from Warren Tredrea in reply to someone re: Danger/Geelong trade. He said Crows would want Selwood in return :p - then added that he thinks Danger will re-sign with Adelaide.

If Danger leaves this year, he deserves an Oscar because he's a bloody good actor! He is showing NO signs of wanting out. He took time out of his holidays to meet up with Sanderson after he was appointed (IIRC he was one of the first, if not the first, player to meet Sando), then he took more time out to go out to lunch then to a game with Brad Crouch & talked up the club. THEN he went to Etihad the day we got Crouch to welcome him to the Club & present him with his guernsey. The only signs he is showing is that he will be (& wants to be) our next captain!

A part of me will die if Dangerfield is playing in another team's guernsey next year.

I was looking at the way the crow players sang their song after the Sydney game. One individual that sang full of gusto was Dangerfield. I think that he will stay provided we put the right package in front of him. This might mean offering him the Captainacy which I feel is justified anyway. So our first priority should be to keep Dangerfield. This brings on Tippet. Last year I was very anti Tippet. I felt he was ready to move back to QLD. and I also felt we had paid a high price for his services which he certainly didnt deliver on last year. This year he has improved and so long as he kicks goals from rediculous angles instead of set shots in front he is OK. Do we want him to stay..Yes. Can we cover him if he leaves...yes we have the forwards that can do the job. So if money is the issue we could release Tippet but we cant afford to lose Dangerfield.

Saw a tweet from Warren Tredrea in reply to someone re: Danger/Geelong trade. He said Crows would want Selwood in return :p - then added that he thinks Danger will re-sign with Adelaide.

If Danger leaves this year, he deserves an Oscar because he's a bloody good actor! He is showing NO signs of wanting out. He took time out of his holidays to meet up with Sanderson after he was appointed (IIRC he was one of the first, if not the first, player to meet Sando), then he took more time out to go out to lunch then to a game with Brad Crouch & talked up the club. THEN he went to Etihad the day we got Crouch to welcome him to the Club & present him with his guernsey. The only signs he is showing is that he will be (& wants to be) our next captain!

A part of me will die if Dangerfield is playing in another team's guernsey next year.

Agreed. He is my favourite Crow by a long way. I would be devastated if he left! All signs point to him re-signing this year.

Seriously though I think we are in a position to offer a secure financial future to any player who decided to stay.
Perhaps the likely possibility of a SANFL coaching stint at the end of their AFL career and/or other related incentives well and truly outside the salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back