Do you want mma to be on free to air tv?

Remove this Banner Ad

Deej

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I've thought about this for a while and I'm now certain that I do not want mma, specifically the UFC events UFN's UFC on verses, PPV UFC's etc (because that's what i mainly watch), to show on free to air tv in this country.

I watched the bones-vera verses show on oneHD and the ads shitted me to tears, it totally ruined the viewing experience. A mate of mine turned it off and recorded it and went to bed, so he could watch it the next day and skip the ads. 100% certain I would not have been able to handle UFC 110 with all the ads. If oneHD has UFC 116 on live, and main event has it on live too and the only difference is that it is ad-free on main event, then I will fork out the $40 and watch it on main event.

Am I alone on this? Or do others feel this way too?

• Banned
Sorry should clarify, it's only the events that I want ad-free, the highlights shows should be on free to air.

If you think the ads here are bad try watching the CBS broadcast of Strikeforce, seemed like there was more ad time than fights on the last card!

Having said that, I would love for the UFC to be on free to air.

Buy a DVR, record it, skip through the ads.

Simple really.

How anybody watches TV of any sort any other way perplexes me.

My main concern is that MMA will go too "mainstream" if it is on free to air tv too much.

And there is a problem with this?

For the popularity of the sport i would like it on free to air, but for my viewing sake, no. Even if it was on FTA i would still download/pay for it.

I wouldn't have a problem having WEC, UFC on VS, UFN's on free to air, as they are designed to be on FTA TV. As for events like UFC 110, i would prefer it not to be.

FREE!

Get a PVR.

Hit record.

Go buy a $40 carton of beer.

Come back and hit play and watch it while skipping through the ads.

If you time it right you'll get to the end when the broadcast does.

Problem solved and you've got FREE beer!! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

i have only 1 problem with the UFC on fuel, and its that its not in HD i would rather it on FoxSports in HD or for us to get FuelHD, or even a Fight network in HD with all promotions, like UFC, WEC, Dream, Bellator, K1, Strikeforce if it lasts 6 more months, and the HDnet Fight cards,

and ive been wanting Mainevent in HD for years why do we not get it?

i dont think it will do well on FTV just because the timeslot, with foxtel they can show it live because of the parental lock system and diffrent rules and regulations, i just want it in HD other than that im happy with Fuel and Sentanta sports.

All WWE pay-per-views on Main Event are in HD, but that's largely because WWE have used HD cameras to film all of their broadcasts since January 2008.

i can tell you that mainevent is NOT HD, it is in 16:9 so we get what the US see in HD but its still broadcast in 576i, that is digital not HD, hd are 720p [1280x720] and 1080i [1920x1080] FoxSportsHD is 1080i and showtime/movienetwork and discovery are also in 1080i. ESPN is the only one in 720p i think. while it might say "WWEHD" in the corner its still in 576i SD. like the SD fox8.

plus if mainevent was in HD there would be more PPV channels, like with FBO. and we would be charged more for a UFC PPV on the HD channel

i can tell you that mainevent is NOT HD, it is in 16:9 so we get what the US see in HD but its still broadcast in 576i, that is digital not HD, hd are 720p [1280x720] and 1080i [1920x1080] FoxSportsHD is 1080i and showtime/movienetwork and discovery are also in 1080i. ESPN is the only one in 720p i think. while it might say "WWEHD" in the corner its still in 576i SD. like the SD fox8.

plus if mainevent was in HD there would be more PPV channels, like with FBO. and we would be charged more for a UFC PPV on the HD channel

Even with the SD coverage, there was a noticeable difference in clarity and sharpness of the once WWE began using HD cameras for their broadcasts. Still, having grown up with indoor aerials, just having a clear picture (whether SD or HD) is a luxury for me, so I'm pretty happy with it either way.

My main concern is that MMA will go too "mainstream" if it is on free to air tv too much.

It already kinda is too mainstream isn't it? When you consider how far it has come from the early ones, it's quite sanitised really. Though the solution to the OP is IQ i would say, and i would love not having to fork out the $40 and get it for free (or piss Dana off and download it!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It already kinda is too mainstream isn't it? When you consider how far it has come from the early ones, it's quite sanitised really. Though the solution to the OP is IQ i would say, and i would love not having to fork out the $40 and get it for free (or piss Dana off and download it!)

Guys I've got IQ2 already it's not about money for me I'm fine for cash it is about having the whole flow of the broadcast interrupted by breaks and ads. If my only options were a free download, or a free box of beer and watching it on free tv, or buying expensive beer and paying 50 bucks to watch it on HD then believe me I'd be paying up and having the boys round and enjoying it break-free in the highest quality.

It seems I may be in a minority there unfortunately, which I think sucks balls cause if people would prefer it free then it's a possibility it could go that way in the future.

hehe, the UFC is way too mainstream as it is. I liked it back in the day more. The sanitised rules and mainstream hype is nothing like the 'golden age' of MMA. It's still good, but it has certainly changed with the influx of new fans (who make up the vast majority of fans now).

But I do agree with Deej that too many ads can ruin the 'event' of a night of fights.

I'm happy for free for smaller cards with ads (like the UFN's are now), but if I'm paying for a PPV, I'd like the PPV's to be MUCH more stacked; like Pride was, and actually show EVERY damn fight, again like a Pride PPV, not to have prelims you gotta pay extra for after the event (not that I do, I get them via "other" means, but anyway). The UFC seem to shove a LOT of PPV's with mediocre cards instead of stacking the s**t out of cards and putting contenders and up and comers on free shows.

I guess they do it because they can, but hopefully more competition from other orgs will make the UFC compete harder.

Free cards are good, and I'm happy to put up with ads if you get great MMA for free, but yes too many ads do break up the action. However its a price I'm willing to pay. Just like the AFL, ads are part of life. And as everyone has suggested, I'll download or tape a show and the ads are cut :thumbsu:

They run too many shows to stack the s**t out of cards these days anyway. There's only so many 'big names' they can have on each card, and even then you might get a stretch like we did late last year.

They run too many shows to stack the s**t out of cards these days anyway. There's only so many 'big names' they can have on each card, and even then you might get a stretch like we did late last year.

Crap, it's pretty much gouging ATM.

You could easily merge UFC 113 and 114 and show all the fights including what we now know as "prelims". We're just used to this setup because that's what the UFC do... HD show Dream with all the fights, there are no 'prelims' you gotta pay extra for. HDNet show all the dream events in their entirety, even Dynamite 2009 which went for nearly seven freaking hours!

Take the UFC's 113 and 114 cards

113 Main Card

Lyoto Machida (c) vs. Mauricio Rua
Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley
Sam Stout vs. Jeremy Stephens
Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione
Patrick Côté vs. Alan Belcher

Preliminary Card

Joe Doerksen vs. Tom Lawlor
Marcus Davis vs. Jonathan Goulet
TJ Grant vs. Johny Hendricks
Tim Hague vs. Joey Beltran
Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Mike Guymon

Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans
Forrest Griffin vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira
Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller
Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow
Diego Sanchez vs. John Hathaway

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

Amir Sadollah vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Efrain Escudero vs. Dan Lauzon

Preliminary Card

Melvin Guillard vs. Thiago Tavares
Luiz Cane vs. Cyrille Diabaté
Aaron Riley vs. Joe Brammer
Jesse Forbes vs. Ryan Jensen

the UFC PPV should be:

Lyoto Machida (c) vs. Mauricio Rua
Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans
Forrest Griffin vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira
Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley
Michael Bisping vs. Dan Miller

Prelims (that you see as part of your PPV $)

Diego Sanchez vs. John Hathaway
Patrick Côté vs. Alan Belcher
Sam Stout vs. Jeremy Stephens
Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow

And the rest could split into 2 "free" events, something like

Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione
Amir Sadollah vs. Dong Hyun Kim
Marcus Davis vs. Jonathan Goulet
Melvin Guillard vs. Thiago Tavares
Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Mike Guymon
Tim Hague vs. Joey Beltran

and

Luiz Cane vs. Cyrille Diabaté
Efrain Escudero vs. Dan Lauzon
Joe Doerksen vs. Tom Lawlor
TJ Grant vs. Johny Hendricks
Aaron Riley vs. Joe Brammer
Jesse Forbes vs. Ryan Jensen

Hell they could charge $60 easily for that PPV and they'd get heaps of buys. Instead they dilute the cards and want people to pay twice.

Hopefully if more MMA is free, the UFC will need to stack things some more and offer better value. Better value for money is what I'm after and what everyone should be after. Coleman/Couture is not a main event and should never be. Hopefully more competition will encourage them to sharpen their pencils.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back