Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Adjust the bi focals - since when were the AFL party to the Victory deal, what is that deal - tongue in cheek doesnt work well in the written word Wookie.

The worst stadium deals involve Melbourne clubs with the SA mismanagement a close second - the AFL administration are involved in the Adelaide Oval management arrangements, therein lies the concern raised.

Back to the Victory stadium deal - did Geoff Lord negotiate that ?

This shows how much you know about the SA scene. At present the AFL are not involved in the stadiums management arrangements. Its entirely run by the SMA, which is a 50/50 split between the SANFL and the SACA. Its not expected to change either even if the AFL take over the licenses.

The Victory Docklands deal is the cheapest in the A-League too I believe. Victory pay a flat fee which to this day is still unknown. Every ticket purchased at the stadium goes into the Clubs pocket.
The rd 1 derby had close to 20,000 walk up tickets sold at the stadium. That's a lot of money going into the clubs bank. At the end of the day it's all about good negotiating. Docklands needed a summer tenant and Victory needed a new home cause Olympic Park was to small and a dump mind you even if it did have a sole.

The Victory Docklands deal is the cheapest in the A-League too I believe. Victory pay a flat fee which to this day is still unknown. Every ticket purchased at the stadium goes into the Clubs pocket.
The rd 1 derby had close to 20,000 walk up tickets sold at the stadium. That's a lot of money going into the clubs bank. At the end of the day it's all about good negotiating. Docklands needed a summer tenant and Victory needed a new home cause Olympic Park was to small and a dump mind you even if it did have a sole.

What you got to support your belief ?

A bit of dreamtime TigersBoy , you got squatt !!

Does anybody actully call this stadium 'Etihad Stadium'? Cause everyone I know calls it 'The Dome' or 'Telstra Dome' anyway. Good move by Telstra to not renew naming rights, they still are remembered

Does anybody actully call this stadium 'Etihad Stadium'? Cause everyone I know calls it 'The Dome' or 'Telstra Dome' anyway. Good move by Telstra to not renew naming rights, they still are remembered
I do, otherwise my boyfriend (who has only recently been introduced to sport in general) gets confused.
My sister only just moved to Melbourne from Adelaide the other day (traitor!) and I got a text from her:
Discovery of the day: It's Etihad Stadium, not Eddyhad Stadium
Classic. Eddy and Amy both own stadia in Melbourne, and Amy, the selfish b*%ch, she owns one in Adelaide too!

I read the afl were given a price of $200 m to buy out etihad soon

They thought it was too much but surely something could be negotiated, particularly if there was a threat to build the egate stadium

It's a good thing there's absolutely no threat of that.

You could almost certainly say goodbye to anything happening mid footy season though.

The AFL as the owners will still want to make money out of the stadium.

If something non-football in the football season will make money, it will happen.

Can someone tell me what gate to enter and where to sit if you only have general admission without a booked seat.
Im assuming we have to sit on the 3rd level so what gate do we enter to sit somewhere near the wing ?
Cheers

Can someone tell me what gate to enter and where to sit if you only have general admission without a booked seat.
Im assuming we have to sit on the 3rd level so what gate do we enter to sit somewhere near the wing ?
Cheers

You can enter any gate (the internal concourse goes all the way around the ground). Gate 5 is the city side wing and gates 8 or 9 are the harbour side. The wings are around aisle 36-37 (city side) or aisle 12-13 (harbour side). GA is only on level 3.

You can enter any gate (the internal concourse goes all the way around the ground). Gate 5 is the city side wing and gates 8 or 9 are the harbour side. The wings are around aisle 36-37 (city side) or aisle 12-13 (harbour side). GA is only on level 3.
Cheers mate, thanks for the info :thumbsu:

Colonial stadium :thumbsu:

I call it Etihad but Telstra dome was a great name!

If it were the Vodafone Dome or the Qantas Dome, it'd be the same thing. I reckon because 'Dome' was a brand new term to Australian sport vernacular. If you call the new WA ground 'Perth Bubble,' for five years, everyone will keep calling it 'the Bubble.' But 'Perth Stadium' probably wouldn't stick.

I dunno, just guessing.

I call it Etihad, though. But I always say 'Optus Oval,' never Princes Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic cricket apparently can afford the MCG for the Big Bash but not Etihad ... is it the poor crowds or the Etihad cost structure that is the problem?
MCC members wont go the footy at Etihad, 1.5 kms is travel burden one to far ...
The interesting thing about MCC members is that the Ski Holidayer image is mostly false.

When I walk past on gameday, which is weekly, the people going in are agonisingly middle class blokes from suburbs like Ringwood and Rowville. It's hardly a thing of smuggery or affluence. It's weird.

Vic cricket apparently can afford the MCG for the Big Bash but not Etihad ... is it the poor crowds or the Etihad cost structure that is the problem?
MCC members wont go the footy at Etihad, 1.5 kms is travel burden one to far ...
I'm an MCC (and Hawthorn) member, proudly living in the western suburbs, and I have absolutely no problems going to watch the footy in, say, Mulgrave. However I will never go to Etihad.

Maybe it might be the stadium itself, the people that own it and the cost structures, rather than the location?

This is a ridiculous attitude that so many Victorians have.

The stadium itself is first class. If you protest with your feet by not going you inevitably just hurt your club, not the stadium owners.
Why? I pay my membership every year (which happens to cost a fair bit less than, say, the equivalent Essendon membership).

Wayne Jackson hurt my club a fair bit more when he sold Waverley Park for a pittance.

Why? I pay my membership every year (which happens to cost a fair bit less than, say, the equivalent Essendon membership).

Wayne Jackson hurt my club a fair bit more when he sold Waverley Park for a pittance.

So who is under/over in dollar terms.

Happy to acknowledge I believe Melbourne clubs discount their membership/undervalue our game.

Waverley is not even in the same stratosphere as Docklands as a stadium...

In fact I almost prefer it to the MCG these days.

You don't deserve football if you whinge about Etihad.

It's probably, consistently, tidier and more easily accessible than the 'G. Most Melburnians do not live in the CBD, and they get a train to the footy: a train which stops about 150 metres from the gates. The stadium has good legroom, great viewing, plenty of toilets, and a good atmosphere even with 30,000.

Literally, what else do you want?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back