Review Dogs 87 def Hawks 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Our backline has some issues. From watching live there is a lack of leadership and communication down there. Our defenders all take front position and that’s why we don’t have an anchor and why so many players get loose out the back.

Think we can’t play 3 attacking defenders at once we need a bit more defence first attitude down there.

Daniel showed a big lack of defensive nous today made lots of bad decisions in terms of positioning really. Cordy commits to contests he can’t get to and loses his man as a result.

Our backline has some issues. From watching live there is a lack of leadership and communication down there. Our defenders all take front position and that’s why we don’t have an anchor and why so many players get loose out the back.

Think we can’t play 3 attacking defenders at once we need a bit more defence first attitude down there.

Daniel showed a big lack of defensive nous today made lots of bad decisions in terms of positioning really. Cordy commits to contests he can’t get to and loses his man as a result.
Keath dropping off a cliff has had a huge impact on us. Pretty much out of the blue as well.

Keath dropping off a cliff has had a huge impact on us. Pretty much out of the blue as well.
True but you need more than one leader down there.

There was barely any talk down there I saw duryea direct a couple of times and he read the danger quicker than anyone else.

Gardner was the only other one that looked to direct but he didn’t do it confidently and got ignored once so dropped his head and didn’t do it again.

True but you need more than one leader down there.

There was barely any talk down there I saw duryea direct a couple of times and he read the danger quicker than anyone else.

Gardner was the only other one that looked to direct but he didn’t do it confidently and got ignored once so dropped his head and didn’t do it again.
Honestly the lack of leadership is apparent all over the park not just defence.

Honestly the lack of leadership is apparent all over the park not just defence.

True but in defence leadership is more crucial than anywhere else. It’s no surprise we were so good defensively when Boyd Morris and Murphy were down there.

Hopefully Jones leads down there and duryea has one more year in him

Could we try something crazy & swing Bont to CHB to shake s**t up & get more experience down there?

Could we try something crazy & swing Bont to CHB to shake s**t up & get more experience down there?
I have some crazy thoughts on weird position swings in my head and I think Bont back is a decent one.

Another one I have is to give Naughton a little bit of stoppage time. He’s an animal on the deck.

I have some crazy thoughts on weird position swings in my head and I think Bont back is a decent one.

Another one I have is to give Naughton a little bit of stoppage time. He’s an animal on the deck.
This would be in future seasons I mean

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always been open to Bont playing back as a distributor and interceptor. Think he could play his twilight years in that role.

A lot to be proud of. Obviously our transition defence gave me heart attacks at times and our backline in general looked very unprofessional at times.

But

How we played in the second half was classic execution on good coaching. We made the 3rd quarter a contest and absolutely ground them out of it. To then squeeze out enough of a score to make finals in the last was bloody clutch.

It’s been a tough year and we’ve clearly not gotten it all right with footy ops. The defence of the team has been messy and the kicking inside 50 is a bit of a dogs breakfast. Having said that, this club does keep fighting. We’ve been a pretty honest team, we’ve won most games we should. Our goalkicking in the Carlton and Richmond games really hurt us. We couldn’t match it for long enough in the Geelong and Brisbane games. Sydney second time round we had our low point.

We kept grinding though and we’ve developed some important players.

Onto this game:

Roarke was excellent. Makes us look like a better running team when he plays.

Darcy…. How many third gamers swing a game like that!? Kid is an absolute superstar in the making.

Dunkley played his heart out.

Treloar i thought was excellent.

Naughton had a really good game.

English won his battle.

Proud of the dogs and love them lots. Onya lads
Love ya posting & the way you see the game Zgope, one of the best on here. But geez i just can’t give us much praise for grinding out a couple of quarters against a bottom 6 team who was severely undermanned and far from their best team, it was a pathetic performance in all honesty and the only team doggies supporters should be proud of is the pies - were very very lucky to be playing finals.

We are far and away the worst team in the 8 and it’s not even close unfortunately, when the list is easily top 4 in the league

Individually there’s plenty of positives from this year, a number of young players have taken big steps - but it’s not 2013 anymore, a few young blokes improving their game just doesn’t cut it

Non play related but the last three games in Tasmania the dogs players have completely wiped the crowd and left the ground straight after the game.

Today Bont, Naughton and English got most of the way to the change rooms realised and ran back to the 50 to clap the crowd. But the lack of any respect to the crowd where in Melbourne they run around the boundary line is disgusting in my opinion
To be fair they were very generous during warm up. My kids ended up getting autographs of almost every single player!

Love ya posting & the way you see the game Zgope, one of the best on here. But geez i just can’t give us much praise for grinding out a couple of quarters against a bottom 6 team who was severely undermanned and far from their best team, it was a pathetic performance in all honesty and the only team doggies supporters should be proud of is the pies - were very very lucky to be playing finals.

We are far and away the worst team in the 8 and it’s not even close unfortunately, when the list is easily top 4 in the league

Individually there’s plenty of positives from this year, a number of young players have taken big steps - but it’s not 2013 anymore, a few young blokes improving their game just doesn’t cut it
Agree we’ve had a disappointing year. And that we’re comfortably the worst team in the 8. And that we have a talented list.

In 12 months time I probably won’t be as patient. I just think the play is to accept the negative of the year, which I have, search for some positive and wait 12 months to see what comes next.

I’m sure you’d agree also that the top end talent can sometimes distract from the big flaws of our list.

For much of the year I think Naughton lacked genuine aerial support. After having just a few weeks of that last year. It appears we won’t be letting that happen again. I know we have different views on how that’s been handled which is cool.

TOB and Keath laid absolute eggs this year after both were much better players last year. Doc is probably our best instinctive defender and missed heaps of time. Defence was surely our biggest weakness of the year. We are adding Jones which is better than not doing anything.

I’ll close by saying, let’s just agree that the club needs a big look at itself because you can’t squander the talent we have without getting some bloody good payback. Let’s grab another two flags in the next 5 years hey!?

I wouldn't play down the win too much. We dominated that game a lot more than the score line, particularly the second half. Felt like we kicked about 10 behinds in a row! And yeah the Hawks were already out but beating them at Launceston is no easy feat, and Mcevoy's fairwell.

Roarke was great down the wing (selection never in doubt Bevo 😆).
Hunter great down the other wing too.
Dunks was really good.
Richards too.
Marra came so close to taking two grabs close to goals in the first quarter. Both hands to it just didn't stick. Had some great moments and pressure. Almost an awesome game.
Bruce wouldn't have many stats but had some moments. He played back a lot of the last quarter and took a really important contested mark and tackle. If he can't fire up forward could he be our gorilla back? Was a defender in his early days and has improved a lot as a player since then.
Macrae a bit quiet - relative to Macrae.
Does Darcy miss-kick his first kick every game? He's going to be unstoppable once he's got some weight.
Speaking of which Timmy is freaking huge these days. His legs are literal tree trunks.

Thats not its highest point though, is it? The ball will typically be at its highest point at about half way through its journey, then it will begin to descend.
You underestimate how tall Sam Darcy really is.

Expected Score
WB: 109
HW: 59
If we kick with the wind in the first quarter we win by a bigger margin. we are in finals now, and anything can happen. players change their mindset. hope we beat freo and geelong and the rest for another premiership. we have to make history again. bevo may still pull another rabbit out of his ass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back