Review Dogs effort, anti-negative thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

tonydean

Cancelled
May 10, 2011
Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With all the negativity here tonight, about players who underperformed, missed set shots, and general negativity, I'm gonna start this thread for those of us who appreciate what the team are doing this year so far under Brendan McCartney. With the young team that we have, the backline being unsettled and the forward line having it's problems, I think we had no right being within a goal of Geelong for most of the night. Good stuff boys!

I thought for somebody who had only 9 touches Daniel Pearce was really good chased, tackled, ran with the ball all A+ his fitness is the real only knock on him i saw tonight but that will come with time

I was at the game tonight, and really enjoyed it. We hassled them hard all night, yes there was some poor shots at goal, and some shots that should have been taken but wasn't but overall, considering the youth in our team, I think there was a lot to like.

I posted this in the other thread, but looks like the sentiment would be better suited here.

I could mention a few disappointing aspects about tonights game, but I'm getting too much enjoyment out of watching the team evolve. There is going to be plenty of downs, but I believe the ups will counter these tenfold. Macca's definitely the best thing that has happened to the club in many many years.

Can't believe their has been no mention of Jones' ripper mark. Our whole section jumped up in unison. Hopefully many more to come :thumbsu:

Loving Minson big time. Playing great and the brain fades seem to have disappeared.

Well done dogs, really enjoyed watching the game last night. There was a lot to like about the way we played. I'm not too worried about about the missed set shots, they were bad and accurate kicking could have won us the game, however I have seen improvement, which is something I had given up on after the Stkilda game.

I was disappointed with skinner tonight though. Anytime he got near the ball he looked totally lost and slow. Early days for him but he was more a sub than super sub.

Gallant in defeat I say!!
Can see the team in 2013/14 going forward with the likes of Jones, Wallis, Daulhaus, Libba& Minsow taking charge .....
Expect mistakes this year but they will learn & reap the benefits, just look at Essendon.....:thumbsu:

I was at the game tonight, and really enjoyed it. We hassled them hard all night, yes there was some poor shots at goal, and some shots that should have been taken but wasn't but overall, considering the youth in our team, I think there was a lot to like.

Yes, i am happy with the aggressive, hard nosed, harassing , win your own ball, defensive style of coaching Macca is trying to implement. Lets face it, the score line flattered Geelong in the end IMO ! We could have easily won that game if we kicked straight !

We are on the right track !

Guys we came close to last years premiers! I hate losing but i think this year as long as we show improvement, i don't mind losing.

I still think we need to finish low to secure good picks and re-load with a good game plan and some good experience kids, experience vets, and new cubs with so much ahead of them..

Minno's work rate last night was a top notch effort. We all know where the problems are and it's more frustration than anything else.

Did like Minson decking Selwood at the opening bounce. Up there with his don't argue against North and that 60m left foot goal he kicked in 2010.

He is definitely one of my favourite players. Ride the negatives and reap the positives.

He's kind of like a bigger, stronger, ruck version of Kepler Bradley. Cult hero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My expectations for this season have been thoroughly exceeded - I thought I was going to have to force myself to go to matches!

Loving the new team-oriented attitude, loving the strength of will (and of Will!) and the young players showing great signs for the future. Special mention goes to the defenders, who are doing a terrific job covering for all our injuries.

Ditto "the fool".

Great effort by the boys last night again.

Wil Minson under rated now & overly critisized in the past - he rucks, he roves, gets all over the ground & this year is giving the don't argue to boot - for a big man I'd like to know how many kms he does a game.

With all the negativity here tonight, about players who underperformed, missed set shots, and general negativity, I'm gonna start this thread for those of us who appreciate what the team are doing this year so far under Brendan McCartney. With the young team that we have, the backline being unsettled and the forward line having it's problems, I think we had no right being within a goal of Geelong for most of the night. Good stuff boys!
Winning contested ball regularly, actually change that to EXPECTED to win contested ball regularly, keeping the ball inside forward 50 and managing a scoring opportunity.

Confident when the ball is in the air in the back 50, Brian Lake will take a mark, or bring it to ground and find a way to feed it out and clear the immediate area effectively.

Another debutant in Pierce, great experience for the kid and nice little bounce, run, delivery AND awareness too.

Macca for finding a new and effective role for Daniel Cross, great job on Bartel.

Young players like Jones, Roughed working hard to be at the right place to be a target and take marks. That in itself is a HUGE improvement from the first few rounds where the dogs had trouble finding a target in the forward half and keeping the ball in the forward 50.

Coach has made the two benchmarks. Win contested ball and win contested ball in the forward 50. Win those regularly and the dogs give themselves a chance to win. Once those are non negotiables for the players, Macca can work on the forward 50 set up which has been effective in the last few games, but the converstion rate has not met the supply of ball.

Imagine when the forward 50 set up and conversions go according to plan? It gives players confidence and to work harder to get the ball and get it into the 50 because they KNOW it will result in a goal.

The effort's there, but the lack of polish is what's killing us (you'd expect the polish to come).

I think most of us wrote us off after the St Kilda debacle, but we can clearly see where the team is going and I don't think you can be too disappointed with it.

At least we're not a pack of soft utensils like Norf, anyway. I expect us to jump ahead of them and similar sides by next year.

I thought for somebody who had only 9 touches Daniel Pearce was really good chased, tackled, ran with the ball all A+ his fitness is the real only knock on him i saw tonight but that will come with time

Pissweak of Bartel who got toweled by his opponent last night to mouth of at Pearce.

My respect for Bartel dropped to the bottom of the crap heap. Thought he was better than that

Pissweak of Bartel who got toweled by his opponent last night to mouth of at Pearce.

My respect for Bartel dropped to the bottom of the crap heap. Thought he was better than that

Yeah, i saw Picken have a crack at him after that incident ! Hope Picken reminded him that he did nothing all game except for his cheap goal in Junk Time ! He was Pansed last nite !

Yeah I saw that as well, and couldn't help but give Bartel a mouthful for picking a fight with an 18 year old for what looked like nothing more than a fair tackle. He was getting pantsed at the time, but Bartel is better than that. :thumbsdown:

Selwood I believe also got pantsed. Even with one eye black and blue and almost closed over, the will and determination of Picken to do his job is simply superb. He's a remarkable player Picken. :thumbsu:

Pissweak of the supporters behind me who were screaming blue murder about Bartel being roughed up by the doggies players, and even claimed Pearce had started it after watching the replay. Completely one eyed supporters of any club give me "the runs".

Yeah, I agree with the previous three posters, when Bartel started on a first gamer 18 yo - I though he was weak, and I lost a lot of respect for him. He was one of my non bulldog favourites.

Pearce had a few words to him and Bartel didn't like it. How weak is Bartel having a go back at a first gamer.

I had a crack at Jones last week, but i thought he really worked hard last night. Some really nice grabs too

Roughy small steps, but certainly making progress. I love the fact the coaching staff persisted, and you can see the improvement even if its not yet reflected on the scoreboard.

Libba is going to be an outstanding footballer. Not dissimilar style to jonny platten. His mate wallis has come on in leaps and bounds this year. I didn't see much in him at all last season, but just goes to show kids need time.

Tory Dickson just looks like a real footballer. Will be a good acquisition.

And Luke D how this guy was never drafted will be asked for many years to come.

Finally Cross again backing into packs last night, enormous courage. I think he is having his best season. What a role model for the younger players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back