Autopsy Dogs get the job done for Bonty's 200th

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed it come up immediately after the game, was as fast as a chat gpt output
Nothing would surprise. However you have to wonder who actually wants to read a game summary seconds after a errrr...game?

I didn't bother clicking on the link and reading it as I was passing by on my way to the stats page.

I just found the headline a little incongruous.

Awful game to watch & Bont deserved far better.

I loved the artie moment. That was the flower growing in the pot of dirt that was this game.

A few bits and bobs:
  • The forward line looks uncoached. Constantly interfere with each other's marking contests spoiling each other. They're aways dragging themselves and their defender into each other's space aswell. The small forwards dont know where to be during these contests so the ball just walks out of the forward line after one contest a lot of times. Artie and Weightman have the ability and endeavour but theyre always in the wrong position or flying when they should be down. The forward delivery reflects a team that isnt confident in its forward line or knows where to send the ball. These issues compound each other. The reason why geelong are so potent is hawkins knows where to go, cameron knows where to go, and they both know where the other one is going, and EVERYONE knows not to clog their space, plus where to deliver the ball to them.
  • Ive never seen a team have so many tackles broken than we did in that first and second quarters today. Our defensive zone and intensity is extremely lacking unless we flood a large amount of the team back like we did in the second half. This leaves the opposition tons of time and space in our forward half to chip it around and decide how to start an attack. Hawthorn couldnt deal with this but most decent teams can.
  • Alex Keath is just a walking calamity at this point. Most of his disposals were not AFL standard and he looks completely lost. There are no horses to come in and help back there. No, Ryan Gardner is not it. We need another veteran defender badly.
We get by on the talent of a handful of really top-end players that are able to adapt on the fly and a decent midfield, but there are real problems at both ends of the ground and real problems with our system lacking any ability to take advantage of free-flowing play. The forward line stuff and the lack of any real defensive intensity suggests a new coaching panel is well overdue.

Last edited:

Anyone else get frustrated watching Naughton try and jump on JUH's head each forward entry?

Yes.

It honestly feels like they are more likely to spoil each other than their opponents spoil one of them. They're both still very young and the cohesion will come I'm sure.

Must have been watching a different game on McNiel, seemed to do quite a few good things worked hard, pressured and did enough to show he has a place in the team
I thought McNeil played well. He's a smart footballer and gets to the right places. His tackling was good. Bailey Smith's tackling is woeful.

Good to get the 4 points

Alex Keath... yikes :grimacing:

Hailed Bont as he came off. I don't think he understood, as is his modest brilliance. The rest got a thumbs up lol. I believe we are better than what we got for 2 quarters today.

Anyone know what the crowd numbers were. Seemed huge
A shade over 40,000. It came up on the scoreboard late in the game.

Good to get the job done, but was a poor performance.

The difference between a top four team (and flag contender) and the bulldogs is evidenced by our first half v one of the bottom two teams in the comp and Melbourne’s vs the other one.

Sorry, I’m just still sour that the team decided this was how they would honour their captain and best player on a pretty significant milestone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to get the job done, but was a poor performance.

The difference between a top four team (and flag contender) and the bulldogs is evidenced by our first half v one of the bottom two teams in the comp and Melbourne’s vs the other one.

Sorry, I’m just still sour that the team decided this was how they would honour their captain and best player on a pretty significant milestone.
See your point but everyone to date has played the Hawks without Lewis and they got more back this week as well. They've only been shit a couple of times. I'll take that and see what we do to Norf

See your point but everyone to date has played the Hawks without Lewis and they got more back this week as well. They've only been s**t a couple of times. I'll take that and see what we do to Norf

They’ve been competitive vs north, Adelaide (in Tassie) and GWS. They’ve lost by 10 goals to Essendon, and 14 goals to both Sydney and Geelong. They’re terrible, and a lock for bottom three as well as favourites for the spoon.

A five goal win on our home deck in our captain’s 200th game is not a good look. I fear it is indicative of our position though.

Glad we lifted, especially in the 2nd half. Hawks missed some very gettable shots and should have got further ahead, they are definitely on the right track but their early pressure couldn’t be sustained for 4 quarters.

What worries me a lot about the way we play is the amount of run that teams can generate off half back and slingshot the ball down the other end. Again, our coaching team doesn’t appear to be doing anything to prevent it and the more clinical teams will tear us apart.

A good win for a legends 200th, with GWS win today it makes next weeks game a lot tougher. Libba back will be huge, personally at this stage I’d look at bringing him in for McLean and making Weightman sub

I'm loving seeing vintage JJ again. It's like he's back from the dead.

View attachment 1673723
Wasn't he playing on Bruest when he kicked his 3 early goals?

If he was it was good of Bruest to get an old mans calf injury and free JJ to go on a rampage.

Take the win.

Thought Baker was our best and Arty could be what we have needed for year if he keeps improving. Jamarra showed with a little cameo he would be a great defender but he offers to much up forward.

GWS is going be a tough assignment they come to play each week.

Glad we lifted, especially in the 2nd half. Hawks missed some very gettable shots and should have got further ahead, they are definitely on the right track but their early pressure couldn’t be sustained for 4 quarters.

What worries me a lot about the way we play is the amount of run that teams can generate off half back and slingshot the ball down the other end. Again, our coaching team doesn’t appear to be doing anything to prevent it and the more clinical teams will tear us apart.

A good win for a legends 200th, with GWS win today it makes next weeks game a lot tougher. Libba back will be huge, personally at this stage I’d look at bringing him in for McLean and making Weightman sub
Th coaching panel for all of the shit that we've given them have made the right adjustments and shut down teams who've run and gun at us over the last 5 weeks. The only time this hasn't worked is against Port when we run out of puff in the wet. We saw it again tonight when the Hawks just couldn't get through our midfield and defensive press after half time.

It's just a fact of the modern game that teams will at some point get a period of domination during a game. It's how you counter this that really important in my view. We've definitely turned this aspect of our game around since our disastrous start to the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back