Autopsy Dogs get the job done for Bonty's 200th

Remove this Banner Ad

Awful game to watch & Bont deserved far better.

I loved the artie moment. That was the flower growing in the pot of dirt that was this game.

A few bits and bobs:
  • The forward line looks uncoached. Constantly interfere with each other's marking contests spoiling each other. They're aways dragging themselves and their defender into each other's space aswell. The small forwards dont know where to be during these contests so the ball just walks out of the forward line after one contest a lot of times. Artie and Weightman have the ability and endeavour but theyre always in the wrong position or flying when they should be down. The forward delivery reflects a team that isnt confident in its forward line or knows where to send the ball. These issues compound each other. The reason why geelong are so potent is hawkins knows where to go, cameron knows where to go, and they both know where the other one is going, and EVERYONE knows not to clog their space, plus where to deliver the ball to them.
  • Ive never seen a team have so many tackles broken than we did in that first and second quarters today. Our defensive zone and intensity is extremely lacking unless we flood a large amount of the team back like we did in the second half. This leaves the opposition tons of time and space in our forward half to chip it around and decide how to start an attack. Hawthorn couldnt deal with this but most decent teams can.
  • Alex Keath is just a walking calamity at this point. Most of his disposals were not AFL standard and he looks completely lost. There are no horses to come in and help back there. No, Ryan Gardner is not it. We need another veteran defender badly.
We get by on the talent of a handful of really top-end players that are able to adapt on the fly and a decent midfield, but there are real problems at both ends of the ground and real problems with our system lacking any ability to take advantage of free-flowing play. The forward line stuff and the lack of any real defensive intensity suggests a new coaching panel is well overdue.

Agree on everything you've written here except for your dissing of Gardner - he was good today and his decision making and disposal is much improved. He may still have a few things to work on, but he is an undeniably solid defender with a great spoil and excellent closing speed, and started to take interept marks last year. Not to mention his disposal has improved markedly. Infinitely better than Keath anyway, and if it wasn't for his injury he would have been in the side already. Would be surprised if he's not in this week, match-ups permitting.

Loved Baker’s game. He keeps his width on that wing so well. Really owning his position.

Arty is exceeding my expectations. Can see the makings of a very good player. His workrate is super impressive in person. Not surprised when I just read that he had the second most pressure acts of any player.

Yeah the forward line is shambolic at times, for reasons highlighted above. Don’t like Caleb in the centre bounces. Every Keath possession is heart in mouth stuff.

Newcombe played ok, but turning to face away from the CB and to Bont and try to hold him back before the ball is bounced, rather than on the umpire/ruckmen shows that ultimately, in Bont terms, Newcombe is a hack.
Yeah was ordinary. 10 clearances and 2 goals. If that's a hack Id love to see a gun young player. You guys won because we ran out of gas at HT and Lewis had no support. The result is flipped in 18 months time. Laugh all you want at our tribulations now. Don't get used to it though. We will be back. I'll leave your board on that note.

I'm beginning to think Williams is worthy of a "B" classification with his last few games. I said he is currently a C-grader ... but that was a few weeks ago.
A good solid game again today. Nothing outstanding but he's getting back to that form he showed a couple of years ago.

Keep on truckin' Bailey.

Wasn't he playing on Bruest when he kicked his 3 early goals?

If he was it was good of Bruest to get an old mans calf injury and free JJ to go on a rampage.

Probably, but who cares? Breust is a God, no one can stop him when he's up and about. Besides, vintage JJ in defence isn't about defending.

Yeah was ordinary. 10 clearances and 2 goals. If that's a hack Id love to see a gun young player. You guys won because we ran out of gas at HT and Lewis had no support. The result is flipped in 18 months time. Laugh all you want at our tribulations now. Don't get used to it though. We will be back. I'll leave your board on that note.
We won because we kicked more goals than you actually. 💩🤡

Remember when we would all collectively get nervous when early days Gardner had the ball?

That is Alex Keath right now. Which is odd. He was solid against Brisbane.

Newcombe goes alright I reckon, definitely no hack IMO. Mid- season draftee if I recall.
Hawks play pretty well and this was a good mature win by the dogs. Agree on Keath, wtf cliff has he fallen off?

Settle down, sport.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Newcombe is a jet (pretty sure that post was made in jest).

Hawks well coached, but are 3 good drafts away (don’t have the cattle). It’ll be much longer than 18 months….that list ain’t great.

We mostly played like arse & won by 5 goals. I wouldn’t get too excited.

Thought Conor Nash was only another 40-50 handballs away from winning it for you guys.

It was a pretty good week for you Hawks supporters. After your loss today you are still well in the race for the number 1 draft pick AND you soon enough won't have to go to Tassie to watch your team in home games. No wonder you are up and about. You winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t the Hawks been one of the bottom teams for the past 4 seasons? I think everyone is well and truly used to it.

Yes.

It honestly feels like they are more likely to spoil each other than their opponents spoil one of them. They're both still very young and the cohesion will come I'm sure.
I get annoyed for JUH. He's almost taken some great contested grabs for Naughton to fly over the top.

Also JUH was burnt on the lead about 5 times for it to go on top of Naughton's head tonight. What happened to our ball movement from last week?

Th coaching panel for all of the s**t that we've given them have made the right adjustments and shut down teams who've run and gun at us over the last 5 weeks. The only time this hasn't worked is against Port when we run out of puff in the wet. We saw it again tonight when the Hawks just couldn't get through our midfield and defensive press after half time.

It's just a fact of the modern game that teams will at some point get a period of domination during a game. It's how you counter this that really important in my view. We've definitely turned this aspect of our game around since our disastrous start to the season.
good post. Agree

9 clearances and less metres gained than Aaron Naughton, on ya bike dickhead

Probably, but who cares? Breust is a God, no one can stop him when he's up and about. Besides, vintage JJ in defence isn't about defending.
Breust as good as he is, has no defensive game right now.
Im not in any way potting JJ. I'll take the lapses in defensive pressure that has seen him live the life of a football nomad in search of a home in recent years. If he is back to running hard and punching the ball in long to our forwards. I don't think it's a coincidence that the teams upswing in form has coincided with his return to his favoured position. Their may've been something in his missus' other ramblingly incoherent rant after last weeks game...

I think the notion of playing him anywhere else can be consigned to the scrapheap of historically bad ideas.

Think there was some good things to come out of the game.

We've seen the side drop their bundle when challenged by lower sides but we withstood it and got the win.

Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel have played themselves into form.

English was quiet but was still very good.

Arty Jones 1st goal and played his best game so far. Definitely growing each week.

McNeil adds more speed and zip to the forward line. He has a knack of getting into scoring positions.. Please let's never play McComb or VDM ahead of him again.

Marra had about 5m on Frost several times when leading. We don't utilise him anywhere near as much as we should. I hope we start soon because we are missing his talent.

I'm beginning to think Williams is worthy of a "B" classification with his last few games. I said he is currently a C-grader ... but that was a few weeks ago.
A good solid game again today. Nothing outstanding but he's getting back to that form he showed a couple of years ago.

Keep on truckin' Bailey.
I think the change in nickname has worked wonders for bailey. The horse was an alpha male top dog type of nickname and probably didn't suit his personality. While truck is more one of the boys style without the high expectations. You can see he is playing with more freedom. I fully embrace truck as his new nickname.

Baker had most metres gained (590) for either side on the night.

It's not the most conclusive of stats to go by but it at least tells you he was very much involved in the game. Anyone who tops that stat is usually among the side's best (unless they turn it over every time they go forward).

Top 4 were:
Baker 590​
Dale 570​
Bont 401​
Johannisen 386​
Richards 324​

Most weeks our best on that stat are Dale, Richards and Baz.
Think at half time-ish they flashed up at the ground that Impey was on 230/250, next best was JJ on about 170. Which reflects where the game was at that stage, and how we powered over them in the second half.

Sir in 18 months it’ll be late October 2024. I don’t think any result is possible then.

We won because we made adjustments at half time like good clubs do. Hawthorn were very good and have been for a few weeks now but there’s nothing wrong with being good in defeat.

It was a pretty good week for you Hawks supporters. After your loss today you are still well in the race for the number 1 draft pick AND you soon enough won't have to go to Tassie to watch your team in home games. No wonder you are up and about. You winner.
Lets not get into a debate about financial support when you and I both know which club needs more of it from the AFL to remain viable. If thats what the insinuation was. Enjoy the win today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back