Analysis Dom Tyson

Remove this Banner Ad

the game was played at a fairly slow pace with the short turnaround for the most part so maybe that suited him

You need to work on your compliments, mate.

Worked well in traffic to get hands clear and some clearances, normally was quite clean with the ball.

Had time with the ball.
Absolute whipping boy is Tyson. Agree he was v solid today, couple of clangers but who didn't? Working into the season well after a limited summer.

He was OK today. But it annoys me how it's got to the point where he takes a mark 40m out on no angle and you just know he's Buckley's chance of kicking it.

Cant defend him anymore. He's a shadow of his former self.

Gets a ton of the ball but does no damage. If anything a good 25% of his disposals have a negative affect.
He is a clearance midfielder but struggles outside the centre a bit like brayshaw

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Dom had 29 possessions today. Sounds okay until you look closer and see that he had 11 turnovers. This is why I don't want him in the side. In contrast Oliver, Jones and Lewis all had more possessions than him but only 3 turnovers each.
I think he's going to have to address it or he's going to find his AFL career cut short. You can't get away with turning the ball over every third time you touch it... He's approaching Terlich territory!

Dom had 29 possessions today. Sounds okay until you look closer and see that he had 11 turnovers. This is why I don't want him in the side. In contrast Oliver, Jones and Lewis all had more possessions than him but only 3 turnovers each.
I think he's going to have to address it or he's going to find his AFL career cut short. You can't get away with turning the ball over every third time you touch it... He's approaching Terlich territory!
I'd be interested in the source for that 11 turnovers, where did it come from?

I personally wouldn't count a high up and under centre clearance that's marked by an opponent as a turnover but the data probably does. He didn't seem to butcher it that much today.

I think we just need to accept he's going to be a good 4th or 5th midfielder but not the superstar we once thought he'd be.

I personally wouldn't count a high up and under centre clearance that's marked by an opponent as a turnover but the data probably does. He didn't seem to butcher it that much today.

I think we just need to accept he's going to be a good 4th or 5th midfielder but not the superstar we once thought he'd be.
I think that's probably falling under the exact definition of a turn over...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had the most metres gained of any player on the field.
Watching footy is a study in confirmation bias. We make judgments about players and then find data and examples that support our view. I'm worse than most.

Today Tyson was a significant contributor in a team of midfielders who did not let up.

Yeah but Tyson's done the hard work at the coal face and it isn't really his fault if Hurley outpoints his opponent for example.
I wouldn't think a low percentage kick to the defenders advantage is a good example of something that shouldn't be called a turnover.

I wouldn't think a low percentage kick to the defenders advantage is a good example of something that shouldn't be called a turnover.
We can't expect him to be providing lace out service from the square on his right boot with one eye shut either, but maybe we hold Dom to higher standards.

I can see the point you're trying to make but there are comical turnovers than there are turnovers that happen for other reasons. I can only think of one comical turnover from Dom today. He does annoyingly over kick his short passes though.

We can't expect him to be providing lace out service from the square on his right boot with one eye shut either, but maybe we hold Dom to higher standards.

I can see the point you're trying to make but there are comical turnovers than there are turnovers that happen for other reasons. I can only think of one comical turnover from Dom today. He does annoyingly over kick his short passes though.
Only 5 contested possessions and 1 clearance...
His turnover stat was actually 9 of 29 though.

I don't think we do. 11 turnovers as an inside mid when his colleagues only had 3 each, and metres gained is nice, but not a lot of point to it if you're kicking 50 metres directly to an opponent.

He needs to sharpen up on his disposal. That's not confirmation bias; he really isn't a great user of the pill.

Point is we don't set up from clearances for the dump kick, it's regularly turned over. So he is ignoring instruction when he does that so therefore it is a turnover

No matter how you sugar coat it, if a third of the time you touch it it goes directly to an opponent, your hurting the team

Point is we don't set up from clearances for the dump kick, it's regularly turned over. So he is ignoring instruction when he does that so therefore it is a turnover

No matter how you sugar coat it, if a third of the time you touch it it goes directly to an opponent, your hurting the team
True but a lot of the time even if the ball is turned over he's getting important metres gained and releasingus from pressure at the stoppage

True but a lot of the time even if the ball is turned over he's getting important metres gained and releasingus from pressure at the stoppage

I think most coaches would prefer to win a mark at Hb than win a dump clearance.
Metres gained is the most overrated stat in footy

It's bloody poor footy in the modern game to dump it forward when your structure isn't ready for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back