Recommitted Dustin Martin [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a doubled edged sword for GWS. Access to the best talent for a little while is very handy but the media love going the negative so even if GWS have a statistically higher retention rate for their first round picks that other clubs, it still is made to look like a big recruiting disaster.

If you can switch off the media you're all good. :)

Our 6th year on. Its more amusing now than anything.

Our 6th year on. Its more amusing now than anything.
Got nothing on Richmond.
Down here in Melbourne,we are enemy number one.

Oppos don't admit but it's deep in their souls.

Good on him, to be honest.

He said he didn't want to discuss it, as is his right, and the questions came again.

People aren't paying him the respect of listening to him, why should he respect them? No issue with him walking off.

really hope we get another article from ralphy or someone else cracking the shits like a 4 year old after today

Good on him, to be honest.

He said he didn't want to discuss it, as is his right, and the questions came again.

People aren't paying him the respect of listening to him, why should he respect them? No issue with him walking off.
Not a bad tactic. Say i dont want to discuss it enough times and the media will give up. Keep answering "Richmond is where i want to be and just working through a deal ect" then youll constantly be asked.

Haha, admittedly I got a bit worried when I saw the headline, but then I actually watched the clip and immediately felt like an idiot for being worried about it! :drunk:

This is a classic case of no matter what Dusty did today, the media would try and spin it to fit their agenda.

Anybody who actually follows the way Dusty goes about things would know that he's VERY press shy and hates doing media things, even when it's the stock standard stuff, so when he's pressed about a talking point that he's already answered, and is then bullied into giving a response, he was ALWAYS going to react in this type of way. Not that he even reacted that badly anyway!

Honestly, any media person worth a damn would (or at least should) have known how Dusty would react to being pressed for answers in that manner, and I think it's rather disingenuous to suggest that he walked out when it was actually a Richmond person getting him away from the pack of scoundrels, because as a club we actually know how Dusty operates and what makes him uncomfortable.

He also definitely hasn't forgotten about the media playing judge, jury and executioner during the chopstick situation a while back either, or the way they always refer to him as having a "chequered past" despite the fact that he's literally never done anything except have tattoos and stand out.

These little intricate things, and the way Richmond have nurtured and protected Dusty and allowed him to be himself, is why I'm actually more confident that he'll stay than I am most players.

This thread almost belongs in the Bay tbh. :drunk:

Yeah I don't know why more players in all different sports in the world adopt this. They always say "I love the club etc etc etc" then they leave, best to just say your answer which is non-commital and then if they keep pressing just refuse to answer the same question.

Good on him!

I still think he's leaving though, and by mid year if he isn't signed he's gone.

Yeah I don't know why more players in all different sports in the world adopt this. They always say "I love the club etc etc etc" then they leave, best to just say your answer which is non-commital and then if they keep pressing just refuse to answer the same question.

Good on him!

I still think he's leaving though, and by mid year if he isn't signed he's gone.

You're absolutely entitled to think that, but just so you know, I wouldn't be using past FA history OR media speculation as evidence for this one, because Dusty is a very unique personality type, and he doesn't operate the same way as most other players do in these types of things.

Regardless of what happens, it's a win/win from a Tiger perspective, because the contract that it will take to get him to actually leave Richmond will probably net us 2 1st rounders, or at worst a 1st rounder + start of 2nd round pick. And if an offer comes in that won't get us EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT, we're more than prepared to match it and then either keep him, or trade for him like the Crows did with Dangerfield, and we will do all of this without hesitation!

So we have him for another year guaranteed, and then we either we have a stacked 2017 draft with potentially 4 1st round picks to build for the future, or we retain Dusty and still have a solid draft of 2 1st rounders that we already have.

Spoiler warning though - Dusty isn't going anywhere! ;)

He has one big payday ahead of him and a manager who can smell the money. After 7 seasons he will owe us nothing. He will get big offers, particularly with a likely pay rise for all clubs salaries with the players association/AFL negotiations. I think it will take around 6 mil for 5 years to get him and doubt we would match it. With big money offers likely from a few clubs (with salary cap room) he is likely to pick the club most likely to give him a premiership in the next few years. GWS and Sydney wont have cap room, Hawthorn Geelong and Bulldogs too are unlikely to have cap room. Melbourne St kilda and Collingwood will be better but not premiership contender better.

My gut tells me Adelaide ... for no particular reason.

He has one big payday ahead of him and a manager who can smell the money. After 7 seasons he will owe us nothing. He will get big offers, particularly with a likely pay rise for all clubs salaries with the players association/AFL negotiations. I think it will take around 6 mil for 5 years to get him and doubt we would match it. With big money offers likely from a few clubs (with salary cap room) he is likely to pick the club most likely to give him a premiership in the next few years. GWS and Sydney wont have cap room, Hawthorn Geelong and Bulldogs too are unlikely to have cap room. Melbourne St kilda and Collingwood will be better but not premiership contender better.

I respect him for not answering. Its none of our business until he knows what he is doing. Couldnt give a s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn minnows ,taunting with welcome to Hawthorn bs.

Typical Hawf scone eatin',downhill skiing, Veruca Salt dress wearing pampered lot.
Lol Richmond are the minnows. You might have a big supporter base, but other than that you have been pretty irrelevant for a long, long time

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Lol Richmond are the minnows. You might have a big supporter base, but other than that you have been pretty irrelevant for a long, long time

You wish minnow.
Btw,Robbo reckons Ralph wanCarr told him Martin wanted to go to GWS but the AFL blocked it,what a bloody lie from Ralph Carr.

You wish minnow.
Btw,Robbo reckons Ralph wanCarr told him Martin wanted to go to GWS but the AFL blocked it,what a bloody lie from Ralph Carr.
Thats garbage(them not you). Both Martin and Leon could tell where his heart was when he came up for a tour.
Really cant see him leaving unless there is something rotten going on behind the scenes.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

He wasn't there to talk about his contract.

He was there to help his old mentor and role-model Choco with HIS event

Lets just leave out the part where they asked was there any more questions to do with the event or just media speculation? when it became apparently it was just contract bullshit he walked. As is his right,

Not going anywhere.

dusty living in the city of churches? pffft.

I wish the mainstream media had the same thoughts about the RFC's so-called irrelevancy as you do, because maybe then we'd stop being on the front/back page of the paper all the time, and maybe journos also wouldn't hate on us as much as they do!

See the thing about hate is, it's a strong emotion, and irrelevancy doesn't invoke strong emotion in people, it invokes a lack of interest, whether positive or even negative.

Let me give you a few examples of what I mean:

Exhibit A - Melbourne miss the finals for the past decade, does anybody really talk about it? Nah, not really, it just is what it is. Richmond miss the finals for one year, after making the Top 8 for 3 years running prior to that... the media has an article every week about the failure of Richmond, about how they should be expected to make the Top 8, but then in their previews rank them at coming 14th, despite us having as impressive a pre-season as anyone so far. :drunk:

Exhibit B - Melbourne have a young star player named Jesse Hogan being tempted with offers to leave the club. Do the media constantly hound Hogan and continually write articles about how he's basically guaranteed to leave? Nah, they just say "wait and see" and move on to another story. But when Dustin Martin from Richmond has a contract coming to an end? Everybody loses their s**t and starts giving it to the Tigers, saying that Dusty's guaranteed to be gone, etc etc! :drunk:

Exhibit C - Tyrone Vickery plays for Richmond. The media says Tyrone Vickery is a spud and doesn't work hard enough (which to be fair, is the truth). But then Tyrone Vickery goes to Hawthorn, and puts in equally average performances in his first few games that he put in at Richmond. What happens you ask? The media says Tyrone Vickery will play an important role at Hawthorn this year, and has improved as a player. :drunk:

TL;DR - Richmond must be the most relevant "irrelevant" team in the history of the AFL, because we're always being talked about, and usually in a negative way regardless of results or future prospects, because the fact is, a negative Richmond story sells papers. A negative OR positive Melbourne story doesn't sell s**t! :$

In all seriousness, if Dusty stays then so be it we maintain a pretty decent midfield. If Dusty leaves its actually not the end of the world and in the long run Richmond could be better off list wise.

He wasn't there to talk about his contract.

He was there to help his old mentor and role-model Choco with HIS event

Lets just leave out the part where they asked was there any more questions to do with the event or just media speculation? when it became apparently it was just contract bullshit he walked. As is his right,

Not going anywhere.

That doesn't mean he's not going anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back