Eagles are focusing on improving skills for 2014 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
"WEST Coast is focused on better ball use and ball movement in 2014 under new coach Adam Simpson, midfield coach Brady Rawlings says. The Eagles finished second last in the AFL in effective disposal efficiency in 2013, despite having been number one in hit-outs and fifth in clearances per game. Rawlings says the Eagles have made skill work and ball movement a key focus throughout the pre-season so far to take advantage of the ruck and clearance success.

"We work really hard to win it so we want to make sure when the chance is there that we maintain possession and we use it as well as we can, that has probably been a little bit different in some regards to what some players are used to."

The new coaching staff, led by Simpson, has not hidden the fact that the Eagles need to improve in this area, with ball movement drills and match simulation on display at many open training sessions. Rawlings said it was a slow process but one which the group was responding to well.

"A lot of the training drills you have to really strip it back and start from scratch in some areas in terms of ball movement, but the boys have been picking it up really well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-05/eagles-on-the-ball

I think alot of Eagles fan myself included are more than happy to see Simpson and co identify skills as a problem and are working hard on rectifying this across the whole team. Last year was frustrating more for the horrible turnovers and lack of execution than the injuries. In 2013 it was evident during the NAB Cup that our players were sloppy and woefully not up to standard. Lets hope we see a sharper unit take to the field in a weeks time for our first proper hitout in the pre-season :thumbsu:

Last edited:

The last time we focused specifically on skills in the preseason we rose from wooden spoon to top four.

For whatever reason that focus ebbed away in subsequent years with obvious results

I would've thought skills would be high on the agenda every single pre-season.. I realise there are many important facets of the game, but surely skills would be number one or there abouts?

It'd be a massive :eek: if they didn't recognise skills as being one of our chief weaknesses.
Worsfold seems so stubborn that the more people who questioned the teams skills the more he'd say they're fine and that intensity is the problem.

Then if they start questioning the intensity, he'll say deviating from the game plan for 1 qtr cost us. Quite glad I don't need to hear his press conferences anymore.

I love that we are going back to basics as the last we did this in the 2010/2011 pre-season we once again looked like a skilled team. In 2012 we were one of the top teams disposal efficiency with pretty much the same squad so its not impossible for it to return.

I really think Woosha spent way more time trying to get the squad super fit for the 2013 season and in preparation for the reduced salary cap and in the process dialed back a lot of skills sessions.

I love that we are going back to basics as the last we did this in the 2010/2011 pre-season we once again looked like a skilled team. In 2012 we were one of the top teams disposal efficiency with pretty much the same squad so its not impossible for it to return.

I really think Woosha spent way more time trying to get the squad super fit for the 2013 season and in preparation for the reduced salary cap and in the process dialed back a lot of skills sessions.

You mean interchange cap?

My recollection is that skills were identified as an issue and Kempy was brought in to assist with fundamental skills. I believe Kemp was frustrated by the sports science guys who didn't want the players exerting themselves with lengthy skills sessions.

EDIT: that may have been the year before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apt choice of photo.

2i2cck.png

Obvious really. We were right up there in contested possessions and clearances:D but just couldn't keep it as we were right up there with turnovers as well:mad:.

Imagine if we are able to hold onto it once we get it:eek:

Another unfortunate side effect of our injuries from last year- Guys didnt get time to gel at a team, to have an understanding of running patterns, or an oppurtunity to play together fully fit.. If we manage to get 12-15 games at least of a solid core of players (ie, 1 change at most) I think you will find this will dramatically improve.

I don't think it is any coincidence that our skills suffered with both NN & Hurn out of the side. Having someone who can tap a ball lace out to a running midfielder means it becomes very difficult for defenders to get back to defend/cut off/spoil, which means Kennedy/Darling/Hill/Cox get to play one out.
Having Hurn back means our transition from the back half is a lot faster, which opens up to more space being available, and thus a greater margin for error. Hurn is almost our most important player this year IMO for that reason.

Honestly much more excited about our chances this year than I was this time last year.

Another unfortunate side effect of our injuries from last year- Guys didnt get time to gel at a team, to have an understanding of running patterns, or an oppurtunity to play together fully fit.. If we manage to get 12-15 games at least of a solid core of players (ie, 1 change at most) I think you will find this will dramatically improve.
I dont think our poor skills last season had anything to do with injuries. It was clear right from the outset during the pre-season that the team had poor skills. It was embarrassing watching the NAB cup and i remember thinking that it doesnt matter if we increase our intensity once the season proper starts - we were just unskillful amateur looking players (albeit superfit for 2km time trials, ta Woosha).

I have a lot more optimism for this season and hope that we can see our clearances translate into scoreboard dominance. Kennedy will crack 100 if we deliver the ball better to him.

I dont think our poor skills last season had anything to do with injuries. It was clear right from the outset during the pre-season that the team had poor skills. It was embarrassing watching the NAB cup and i remember thinking that it doesnt matter if we increase our intensity once the season proper starts - we were just unskillful amateur looking players (albeit superfit for 2km time trials, ta Woosha).

I have a lot more optimism for this season and hope that we can see our clearances translate into scoreboard dominance. Kennedy will crack 100 if we deliver the ball better to him.
What I mean by my post, (and granted, it is worded terribly) is that the lack of continuity in the side meant that players were continously coming in under done, which then meant that more focus was put on recovering fitness than skills. We lacked any form of understanding at times, we would kick the ball over a leading player, or hit him on the bounce, which IMO could be attributed to the fact we werent gelling as a team due to the lack of time spent together.

IMO half the battle is in the mind so if we can work on our decision making it will go a helluva long way to sorting out our glaring skills issues.

I wouldnt focus so much on skills if they arent great in the 1st couple of pre-season gams though. Everyone is a little bit scratchy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back