List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not valid at all, priority picks are meant to help a team become competitive, not to win flags. If we lost 2018 by 5 points instead of winning by 5 would that change things? It's a stupid argument and 6 years is an eternity in football. North will have received 5 priority picks in the last 3 years after this season concludes, and it we finish last again that'll be 2 out of those 3 years we were worse than a priority pick calibre side without receiving a single one. We also lost 2 first round picks to concussion, and despite being historically poor we've had our 2nd and 3rd round picks pushed back further than any other wooden spoon side ever.

Theres absolutely no argument to be made against us receiving assistance if we have another poor year.

I don’t 100% disagree with Barrett (yuk), in that no team should get assistance.

But if the AFL decides to change the rules on the worst team in recent history it really is a joke.

That said, if they stop or significantly limit assistance to other clubs (I.e. align academy rules for all clubs, no 1st round access if you make finals, max of 1 match if you miss finals), get rid of the 25% match discount, raise the soft cap, mandate all teams must travel in the final 5-7 rounds at least twice, come down hard on draft tampering teenagers (life ban?) then maybe we agree to not apply for assistance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t 100% disagree with Barrett (yuk), in that no team should get assistance.

But if the AFL decides to change the rules on the worst team in recent history it really is a joke.

That said, if they stop or significantly limit assistance to other clubs (I.e. align academy rules for all clubs, no 1st round access if you make finals, max of 1 match if you miss finals), get rid of the 25% match discount, raise the soft cap, mandate all teams must travel in the final 5-7 rounds at least twice, come down hard on draft tampering teenagers (life ban?) then maybe we agree to not apply for assistance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How about they give us the assistance we deserve after being rorted the last few years and then bring in those changes next year so it isn't coincidentally when the team they hate most is in need

^^^

Couple of things from that

• Barrett said we used 3x first round draft picks in the Kelly trade which is straight up bullshit. It was 2 (and mid to late first rounders at that, not top 10 picks) and 2 second round picks

• He also declares that we can go over the soft cap and just pay the tax which is a ridiculously simplistic view. Whilst the tax isn’t as punitive now as it was last year it’s still significant. And spending over is not just a one year thing - if you’re going spend extra on staff to help it’s not a one year timeframe. It’s a longer term than one year and out if there’s going to be my long term benefit and the tax increases each year you go over

• His argument that we won a premiership recently is a valid one and if we do ask for assistance that is going to be our biggest obstacle

Barrett is from Victoria and Victorians, like no other, believe in subsidies and welfare. It’s obvious to them what WC should do!

Next GFC is going to be interesting for afl.

• His argument that we won a premiership recently is a valid one and if we do ask for assistance that is going to be our biggest obstacle
I think the definition of Success or Failure to justify priority picks is soooo arbitrary. There has been little to no consistency. As such it can be twisted to suit any ad hoc PP decisions.

The simple long term solution is to guarantee bottom four teams picks for the first three rounds. All compensation/academy/father son picks have to be outside those. That way the bottom team can count on picks 1, 19 and 37.

However, as it stands because of the AFL not doing that, our second pick last year as a historically bad side, was almost what our natural third round pick should have been. That fact alone should get us another second round pick this year.

Also, please get rid of discounts for father sons and academy players. Access to a higher draft pick than you have earned is a huge bonus as it is.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might not even finish bottom 4 this season. No chance of PP.

Anyway, 2010 had a compromised draft due to Gold Coast. We should have had pick 1, but instead we got pick 4. Richmond who finished 2nd last got pick 6.

Compromised draft didn’t stop either team winning a flag that same decade.

Dont underestimate the power of belief, confidence and energy.

And right now it does look like we have all three. I would be bold to suggest albeit, that even the certain stats (could be cherry picked? but fcuk it looked good) are showing we have turned a new leaf and we will get 2 or more wins this season.

Although I would not be against the help, I would love to continue to push for premiership every decade :)

Back