Strategy Who are the moneyball players we should look closer at.

If you had to pick just one, who would it be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Elijah Hollands may be a player that we can acquire for a later pick (to give the Suns some points).

A former Top 10-er in 2020.

2021 returned from ACL.

2022 Played OK in the two's.

2023 again been Ok in the two's.

He might be one that needs just one more preseason to find his feet.

Fits a good profile:

22 in April.

Midfield potential (outside runner potential).

May never be anything but worth a shot for 1-2 years if we are looking to go a full clean out.

Elijah Hollands may be a player that we can acquire for a later pick (to give the Suns some points).

A former Top 10-er in 2020.

2021 returned from ACL.

2022 Played OK in the two's.

2023 again been Ok in the two's.

He might be one that needs just one more preseason to find his feet.

Fits a good profile:

22 in April.

Midfield potential (outside runner potential).

May never be anything but worth a shot for 1-2 years if we are looking to go a full clean out.
What would you be willing to pay? Contract status?
Could be useful on a wing.

Blues are making a play for him.
Carlton have picks 14, 64 and 70

Suns would happily take 14 and give back a couple of second rounders currently sitting at 28 and 31 but I cannot see the Blues doing that trade. Suns would get only a slight increase in points (100) but reduce the picks taking to the draft and be able to sell off 14 on the night with a 400 + points premium.

It would more than likely be a future pick and the Blues are reportedly looking to sell off a F1 with the 2 x Camporeale F/S prospects.

What would Stevens cost? Doesn’t sound like he’ll be going back to SA if he leaves Sydney. Not sure why he’d come to us but no harm in asking the question

Will Brodie has been screwed over this year. Can only play inside grunt but that might be perfect to allow Kelly and the young fellas to play outside.

Ruscoe from pies was mentioned by back chat a month or so ago that we were in conversations with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but she is big...Tallest in her year at school, same size as nanny and getting closer to Mum (170cm). I'm only 189cm...She might pass me if she keeps this up.

Unfortunately she's about as coordinated as Dad so not much chance of an AFLW career. Great little artist though.

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but she is big...Tallest in her year at school, same size as nanny and getting closer to Mum (170cm). I'm only 189cm...She might pass me if she keeps this up.

Unfortunately she's about as coordinated as Dad so not much chance of an AFLW career. Great little artist though.
I'm 171cm. The idea of a 9 year old girl being my height is frightening.

I'm 171cm. The idea of a 9 year old girl being my height is frightening.
She not quite there mate but getting pretty close. Probs around 165cm.
I do worry about her self esteem a bit as she's got a couple of petite ballerina friends who look like dolls. Very sensitive and caring girl.

Anyway...To keep thread on track, she might be a moneyball for the Eagles (W) team in a decade or so.

My son is only 6 so probably too early to tell for him. Good coordination though and won the 50m sprint at the school carnival.
Hopefully I can live vicariously through him one day 😂

I'm keen to hear peoples thoughts on who we could target to improve this this that'll cost little to no currency.
I don't know if Moneyball is the correct vernacular as I haven't seen the movie but you get my drift I'm sure.

For me, the players below are of interest.
Kai Owens
Boyd Woodcock
Kobe Ryan
Jordon Sweet
Matt Flynn (I prefer Sweet though)
Kai Lohmann (not much chance of coming to WA though)
Tyler Brockman
Ethan Phillips
Aidan Clarke
Shaun Mannagh
Lachlan Sullivan
Brayden Crossley
Angus Schumacher
Wad Derksen (surely GWS wouldn't ask too much?)
Kye Declase??

We've done reverse moneyball. Moneyball would suggest you identify elite skills that impact winning but are under appreciated.

Like identifying Greg Clark as a clearance ball winner... except we play him as a wing and highlight his lack of pace.

Clearance ball winning ability would be appreciated though. If you're good at it. I feel Moneyball would be more like some random stat no one thinks of but actually has a strong correlation with winning.

Footy is a bit messy compared to something like baseball, but Frampton's performance vs Brisbane/Andrews would probably qualify. Everyone's like "haha two touches what a spud" but from what I read he executed his role to perfection.

So draft a forward that doesn't kick goals but restricts the defensive playmakers and away we go!

Back