Opinion Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

GoldenEagle

All Australian
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Injuries aside. Getting smashed by over 100 pts to the 2nd worst side in the comp is a problem not just for us but also for the AFL. Just like whats happening to our WAFL team, the other AFL sides are going to be looking at us as a percentage booster for the rest of the year.

Our record since the 2021 bye.

5 wins
36 losses

At what point does the AFL look at a priority pick or another form of assistance?

Don't think we should be looking for handouts from the AFL.
It's a teams responsibility to not be a burden on the system.
I'd say the same for any other team asking and it's application should remain consistent.
I'd counter with it isn't a good look for the AFL to have teams as exceptionally uncompetitive as we are.

If there's any justice for the fans having to watch this tripe for two seasons, it's that we need a PP.

You can spin the wheel to work out where it'll land as to whether we actually get one though

We have a case given our appalling record /% but we wouldn’t get a real , old-school high PP, just a less useful one

So I would take extra list spots or a higher soft cap instead of a PP
The latter is a bit of a pipe dream but the former isn’t without precedent given North’s package last year

Last edited:
We have a case given our appalling record /% but we wouldn’t get a real , old-school high PP, just a less useful one

So I would take extra list spots or a higher soft instead of a PP
The latter is a bit of a pipe dream but the former isn’t without precedent given North’s package last year
If we want a PP (even a second rounder or something) this draft is supposedly the one to do it. Would be very, very handy having an extra 2nd rounder this year.

So I would take extra list spots or a higher soft instead of a PP
I think a better deal in actually getting access to our academy players could be a start.Not being able to bid on a player unless he slips to forty is unacceptable.

If we want a PP (even a second rounder or something) this draft is supposedly the one to do it. Would be very, very handy having an extra 2nd rounder this year.
I think a better deal in actually getting access to our academy players could be a start.Not being able to bid on a player unless he slips to forty is unacceptable.
Agree and I’d take an unconditional extra 2nd rounder
Just that I feel a North-style one ie 2nd/3rd picks only if we trade them for players is the best we can hope for and given the injury situation we may not even get there

I wasn’t even aware of the restrictions on our academy players but now that I am, I agree with that too

The AFL have never helped us with a single thing and almost certainly won’t now.

But * it, ask, we fund the league we might as well get thrown a bone once every forty years.

(Low key though * any and all priority picks. If they’re on offer, you’d be dumb not to take them but clubs make their beds and should lay in them.)

Agree and I’d take an unconditional extra 2nd rounder
Just that I feel a North-style one ie 2nd/3rd picks only if we trade them for players is the best we can hope for and given the injury situation we may not even get there

I wasn’t even aware of the restrictions on our academy players but now that I am, I agree with that too
May I introduce you to a Mr Jaxon Prior and Mr Deven Robertson.

I wouldn't even be looking for one unless it was offered.
Would be an extra embarrassment if we asked for one on top of our current woes.
IMO the sad state of our list is a consequence of a combination of things such as poor drafting, an over-reliance on guys like Yeo & Shuey and giving up so many picks in the TK trade.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll say the same thing now that I said for Melbourne of the past and North of the current era. Don't reward incompetence. It's the clubs fault for continually re-signing these broken down players who can barely get through 10 games a season.

I'd say the same for any other team asking and it's application should remain consistent.
Whilst I agree with you, the cellar-dweller Vic clubs have no issue co playing Oliver Twist, so we might as well get on board.

I'd agree if the draft wasn't already stupidly compromised. Between the bullshit academies and Vic mummy's boys tampering with the draft, 4 clubs end up at a disadvantage every draft (the WA and SA clubs).

No, it's a bad look and hate the whole PP. It's poor list management

However, access to your academy would be helpful
Whatever your view if it's good enough for Melbourne, Carlton, North etc it's good enough for WC

No other club is going to care nor remember in 10 years time if our rebuild was helped by priority picks. Until I read this thread I didn’t even realise Shuey was a PP.

If it’s part of the rules, take the free pick and run

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wasn't Wirrapunda a PP or something like that too?

Suspect we are on the path to get one during this rebuild because the chances of next year being more than what, four wins?, seem pretty low.

But I imagine we might have to wait another year for the losses to really pile up before we get it.

Preferred the old system where it was clear to everyone who qualified for a priority pick. Even if it led to accusations of tanking. It's not like those accusations have gone away since they moved to the beg the AFL for a pick and we might give you something based on reasons we'll make up on the spot method.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back