List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

They were also pretty thrilled that they were able to get players like Cameron McCarthy and Nathan Wilson for chips as well.
Cameron McCarthy haven't heard that name for years.I think Fremantles follow up fiasco , "the Jesse Hogan story", made everyone forget about Cameron McCarthy but the Cameron McCarthy story was a pretty big bit of bad luck for Fremantle. From memory McCarthy cost them pick 3 and they got McCarthy, pick 7, a second round pick and a whole heap of ,' what the * went wrong there ?' type publicity so pretty cheep.

Last edited:

Zero problem with this, especially that he's going home for a little bit. Once again to the Vic media talking heads, just because you get drafted here doesn't mean you ain't allowed to ever leave the state again. Freshen him up for Essendon.

Zero problem with this, especially that he's going home for a little bit. Once again to the Vic media talking heads, just because you get drafted here doesn't mean you ain't allowed to ever leave the state again. Freshen him up for Essendon.

Tom Morris is right occasionally broken clocks etc. Don't mind it at all. Hopefully Trew gets a chance has been in good form consistently.

Anybody suspect him resting and heading home has anything to do with contract talks? Maybe had a contract presented and flew home to discuss with family?
Maybe.

He went home once during the preseason also, so I guess the club's doing their bit to make him feel comfortable.

Let me honest if the prince of tongala comes home it will leak. How can a small town not know he's coming back.

Which parent wouldnt say something along the lines of can't do X on Saturday cause my son is home for dinner.

Anybody suspect him resting and heading home has anything to do with contract talks? Maybe had a contract presented and flew home to discuss with family?
That would be awesome

The thought crossed my mind too. If i was considering a contract extension at such a young age i'd want to speak with my parents face to face and talk it over before making a decision.

Happy for him to be rested from a S&C perspective. Not sure about the travelling back to Victoria part. Makes a bit of a mockery about the club’s concerns around travel when he is still traversing the continent whilst being managed. If that comes across as dispassionate then so be it; a lot of other draftees don’t get to head back to their home state mid season outside of a game being played in that state.

The visiting family in Victoria aspect after Round 6 is only going to fuel the Vic media narrative about homesickness.

No, I don’t think so.

We have a game in Victoria in two weeks. If he wanted to discuss it with them, he could do it then. Or over zoom.

I don’t think players miss games to settle their contracts. But… no doubt he’d have a yarn with them about while he’s here I don’t think it’s the reason.

Happy for him to be rested from a S&C perspective. Not sure about the travelling back to Victoria part. Makes a bit of a mockery about the club’s concerns around travel when he is still traversing the continent whilst being managed. If that comes across as dispassionate then so be it; a lot of other draftees don’t get to head back to their home state mid season outside of a game being played in that state.

The visiting family in Victoria aspect after Round 6 is only going to fuel the Vic media narrative about homesickness.
Err, travel itself isn't exactly the issue.

Making the longest road trip in footy, having a disrupted recovery and having a 6-day break into a night game vs Essendon probably is the issue, when the plan would be to rest him for a couple of games anyway.

It was obvious that if Reid was out rested/sore, he would return home to have a few days with family (and girlfriend?). This is smart by the club for the long view, to keep him balanced where possible with family and friends. Clearly where it lands mid 1st half of season and trip to Vic, it was planned ahead. Doesn't really matter if sore/how sore he is, it's just a good move to pace him and consider all his needs, either way he'll be well rested and raring to go on the return and in a good state of mind..(that's without getting into the contract talks subject/parents etc, if that is a thing)

Have to wonder how Tom Morris knew so early

I think the club probably leaked it. Once the decision is made then it becomes a bit of a timing issue with Gold Coast, particularly as we are dealing with Dimma. You don't want to give the oppos free ammunition. "West Coast don't respect yous blokes, think they can rest players and come over here and get the job done. We we'll show them!" Putting it out there on a Tuesday means even it was perceived as a slight the emotion around it is well and truly spent by match day. Leaving it until Thursday or Friday not so much, becomes part of the weekend news cycle.

Back