List Mgmt. Draft Night 2 - What to do with picks 23,37 and 58

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re allowed to have 2

Woodcock in the west has reported that Baker and Dewar have both been, or will be offered extensions

He’s on an island with that news though as nobody else has reported it and, most importantly, there’s been nothing from the club

Assuming he’s right we could transfer one, or both, to the regular rookie list opening up a cat b spot (or two)

Keep in mind that we only have 6 positions available across all list categories, of which a minimum of 4 will be used in the main draft

So the question becomes are there two better options than Livingstone we can access either through a very late draft pick, a rookie draft pick(s) or an SSP signing post draft

I suspect there is better options
To get my head around exactly where we are at:
  • Main draft
    • Minimum of 4 and maximum of 5 players
    • It may be like last year when we thought we'd only take 4 but they couldn't resist Long at pick 58.
  • Rookie draft
    • 1-2 rookies depending on what we do in the main draft (capped at 6 players total).

Then we've got any complications from DLA signings etc... Sound about right?

To get my head around exactly where we are at:
  • Main draft
    • Minimum of 4 and maximum of 5 players
    • It may be like last year when we thought we'd only take 4 but they couldn't resist Long at pick 58.
  • Rookie draft
    • 1-2 rookies depending on what we do in the main draft (capped at 6 players total).

Then we've got any complications from DLA signings etc... Sound about right?

Correct

Flynn in for Nic Nat . Reid replacea Shuey . I Iike Collard but Zakostelsky fills our needs after losing a quality defender in Hurn and can back up ruck .
Surely a high quality rebounding / intercepting defender is a better replacement for Hurn such as Hastie or Roberts. We also dont really need any more ruck depth.

In order of preference:

23: Zakostelsky, Collard, Mitch Edwards
37*: Sanchez, Simpson, Dawson, Gothard, Delean
58*: Bodie Ryan, McAuliffe, Hall, McCormack, Philactides, Lual, Payne

*With each of the picks above I’ve assumed those I’ve named in our higher picks are off the board.

Priority order will change according to player type taken in earlier picks. So, for example, if we take ZZ at 23, we wouldn’t take Dawson. And if we took Collard at 23, we wouldn’t take Sanchez or Gothard. And if we get Simpson at 37, we don’t take McAuliffe. Etc…

Last edited:
I have a best (but unlikely), which is:
Pick 23 - Charlie Edwards
19. Charlie Edwards.jpg
Pick 37 - Joel Freijah
25. Joel Freijah.jpg
Pick 58 - Luke Lloyd
40. Luke Lloyd.jpg

Another option (more likely):
Pick 23 - Angus Hastie
24. Angus Hastie.jpg
Pick 37 - Riley Weatherill
36. Riley Weatherill.jpg
Pick 58 - Vigo Visentini
39. Vigo Visentini.jpg

Honestly I find the second lot of selections more exciting than the first.
Hastie has had some exceptional games and would be sensational for us (as we've been lacking pace from the backline for some time).
Weatherill was the best performing key forward at talent league this year and is actually the accepted key-position height.
And Visentini, despite starting far behind a number of the other more highly rated ruckmen, came home with a wet sail and if his improvement trajectory was to continue it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being the best ruck from this year's contingent.

Best case: Collard
Realistic: ZZ

Best case: Cooper Simpson
Realistic: Hall

Best case: Moir
Realistic: Lorenz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a best (but unlikely), which is:
Pick 23 - Charlie Edwards
View attachment 1853860
Pick 37 - Joel Freijah
View attachment 1853861
Pick 58 - Luke Lloyd
View attachment 1853862

Another option (more likely):
Pick 23 - Angus Hastie
View attachment 1853864
Pick 37 - Riley Weatherill
View attachment 1853866
Pick 58 - Vigo Visentini
View attachment 1853867

Honestly I find the second lot of selections more exciting than the first.
Hastie has had some exceptional games and would be sensational for us (as we've been lacking pace from the backline for some time).
Weatherill was the best performing key forward at talent league this year and is actually the accepted key-position height.
And Visentini, despite starting far behind a number of the other more highly rated ruckmen, came home with a wet sail and if his improvement trajectory was to continue it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being the best ruck from this year's contingent.

I like your suggestions and player mix. :thumbsu::whitecheck:

Weatherill in particular very underrated.

If we walked away with :

Reid
C. Edwards
Freijah
Weatherill

That would be an excellent draft haul.

Last edited:
I like your suggestions and player mix. :thumbsu::whitecheck:

Weatherill in particular very underrated.
He is probably seen as a limited forward option (due to his low number of total possessions, and his propensity for staying deep).
But as he is so dominant in the air, I'd be happy to have him placed permanently in the goal square.
Let Allen go roaming further up the ground.

If we do trade our future first for Curtin then I particularly like the 2nd set of selections, as this would be:
1. Harley Reid (contested mid, leading forward);
7. Dan Curtin (3rd tall defender, midfielder);
23. Angus Hastie (rebounding defender, winger)
37. Riley Weatherill (full forward)
58. Vigo Visentini (ruck).

It feels like we've addressed all parts of the field in one draft.
Probably then need to emphasize mids and small forwards next draft.

Based on the 90 second highlights package I’ve seen of Taylor Goad, I think we should chase him, Ruckman with that height and speed are rare.
A few whispers around that some staff at WC were not that positive about Barnett’s work ethic, and one things for certain in the AFL, if you’re not willing to work hard you’re not going to make it.

Based on the 90 second highlights package I’ve seen of Taylor Goad, I think we should chase him, Ruckman with that height and speed are rare.
A few whispers around that some staff at WC were not that positive about Barnett’s work ethic, and one things for certain in the AFL, if you’re not willing to work hard you’re not going to make it.
I don't think we can burn our current second selection on Goad this season (which would be required) when we took Barnett last year.
A later selection, yes, but there are definitely more pressing needs early on.

I don't think we can burn our current second selection on Goad this season (which would be required) when we took Barnett last year.
A later selection, yes, but there are definitely more pressing needs early on.

If we keep 23 pick and Taylor Goad is still available, I wouldn't be surprised if we picked him.
He is still growing going to be a monster ruckman

If we keep 23 pick and Taylor Goad is still available, I wouldn't be surprised if we picked him.
He is still growing going to be a monster ruckman

I think he may well be gone by then, word is that Adelaide are very keen on him.

Another tall thats going to be a very good player is Wil Dawson, although North have shown a lot of interest and they do have a few picks just before our pick 23.

If we do trade our future first for Curtin then I particularly like the 2nd set of selections, as this would be:
23. Angus Hastie (rebounding defender, winger)

It feels like we've addressed all parts of the field in one draft.
Probably then need to emphasize mids and small forwards next draft.
Need at least another mid in this draft imo.
Simpson, Hall, McAuliffe, De La Rue good mid to late options.

Need at least another mid in this draft imo.
Simpson, Hall, McAuliffe, De La Rue good mid to late options.
If Charlie Edwards is available at our current pick 23 then he's a no-brainer.
23. Charlie Edwards (outside mid)

I think he may well be gone by then, word is that Adelaide are very keen on him.

Another tall thats going to be a very good player is Wil Dawson, although North have shown a lot of interest and they do have a few picks just before our pick 23.
Edited for accuracy

they do have nearly 20% of the picks just before our pick 23

200% on Edwards

Although with 37 I'd be tempted for cooper Simpson if he was still there.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not interested in any of the ones I mentioned or someone available later in the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back