EDFL Top 50 for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Doctor Jones

Debutant
Aug 30, 2011
Warragul
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I always enjoy the banter that goes on in this forum but lately there has been quite a lull.. So I have put together a list of players I believe to be the top 50 in the EDFL for 2011.

I have tried to be fair and include at least one player from each team but I think it would be fair to say that there are a few that should consider themselves lucky to be in there.

From what I seen or heard this year I think the top 4 teams this year, Garfield, NNS, Cora Lynn and Bunyip probably had 8 or 9 players from each team that could of easily of made their way onto my list but at least this list might create a bit more interest from the whole EDFL community.

Have a look and hopefully this kickstarts the forum again!!

1) B. Kimber (CL)
2) C. Urie (NNS)
3) T. Marsh (Gar)
4) S. Brewster (WI)
5) C. Pattie (Bun)
6) B. Dwyer (LL)
7) J. Allen (CL)
8) B. Hobgen (WI)
9) T. Holland (Long)
10) B. Eastwell (Gar)
11) K. Bergles (Poo)
12) N. Marsh (Gar)
13) B.Marsh (Gar)
14) B Jostlear (Bun)
15) M. Duiker (CL)
16) M. Urie (NNS)
17) L. Sheehan (NNS)
18) R. Gillis (CL)
19) K. Batt (LL)
20) D. Harders (CL)
21) A. Henwood (Bun)
22) L. McDonald (Long)
23) H. Lacunes (ND)
24) T. Morrow (NNS)
25) B. Keane (NNG)
26) S. Marchetti (CL)
27) R. O’Hara (WI)
28) C. Hinkley (NNS)
29) M. Hobbs (Gar)
30) C. Wilson (Ny)
31) M. Laszczyk (Bun)
32) L. Serong (Long)
33) A. Bernado (Buln)
34) L. Bee-Hugo (Gar)
35) T. Payne (CL)
36) B. Hughes (NNG)
37) L. McFarlane (Cat)
38) D. Kelly (NNG)
39) A Creasey (Lang)
40) A. Wallace (Ell)
41) D. Charles (Buln)
42) S. Stocco (NNG)
43) R. Morgan (KWR)
44) B. Heus (Bun)
45) D. Brown (LL)
46) N. Brewster (WI)
47) A. Adams (Poo)
48) D. Johnson (WI)
49) J. Delphine (Cat)
50) J. Peterson (Ell)

Pretty good effort Dr J. Was good to see Dean Brown back playing senior footy but wouldn't be in a top 50. Probably replace him with John Nichols or Dan O'Hara from a Lang Lang perspective. Both had very good first seasons at the club.

How would Chris Urie go on the Gippy Latrobe League?

Or any other top players for that matter and is it purely
coin that keeps them in the EDFL?

I only wanted to do a top 30 surkin but there were still some good players I thought deserved a mention. But realistically, you could throw a blanket over the players 40-80.

In terms of Chris Urie, his football style reminds me of Drouin gun Pat McGrath. But have big engines, good size frames, win their own ball and can go forward and kick a goal. I think apart from a few clubs, the whole reason why people decide to go to a club in the EDFL is because of the social side of things. It is not as intense in terms of training and game day strategies as the Gippy league, and if you just enjoy having a kick with good blokes in what I believe is still a competitive competition then thats all some guys want out of football.

How would Chris Urie go on the Gippy Latrobe League?

Or any other top players for that matter and is it purely
coin that keeps them in the EDFL?

Chris Urie would dominate in the Gippy League and most other leagues in victoria. Better footballer than Pat McGrath. Any of the top 20-30 in EDFL would be very good in most leagues. Depth is the big difference between the leagues.

Its not just the coin but there is a lot of cash in the league, Urie is from NNS thats why he played there.

I think you are right with the top 30 players in the EDFL being good in other leagues. I remember a young Bunyip kid playing for Drouin last year, and he ended up in the top 5 in their B and F in a grand final team. So it just shows that there is real big difference in the leagues with the quality of the players from 10th to the 21st player.

1) B. Kimber (CL)
2) C. Urie (NNS)
3) T. Marsh (Gar)
4) S. Brewster (WI)
5) C. Pattie (Bun)
6) B. Dwyer (LL)
7) J. Allen (CL)
8) B. Hobgen (WI)
9) T. Holland (Long)
10) B. Eastwell (Gar)
11) K. Bergles (Poo)
12) N. Marsh (Gar)
13) B.Marsh (Gar)
14) B Jostlear (Bun)
15) M. Duiker (CL)
16) M. Urie (NNS)
17) L. Sheehan (NNS)
18) R. Gillis (CL)
19) K. Batt (LL)
20) D. Harders (CL)
21) A. Henwood (Bun)
22) L. McDonald (Long)
23) H. Lacunes (ND)
24) T. Morrow (NNS)
25) B. Keane (NNG)
26) S. Marchetti (CL)
27) R. O’Hara (WI)
28) C. Hinkley (NNS)
29) M. Hobbs (Gar)
30) C. Wilson (Ny)
31) M. Laszczyk (Bun)
32) L. Serong (Long)
33) A. Bernado (Buln)
34) L. Bee-Hugo (Gar)
35) T. Payne (CL)
36) B. Hughes (NNG)
37) L. McFarlane (Cat)
38) D. Kelly (NNG)
39) A Creasey (Lang)
40) A. Wallace (Ell)
41) D. Charles (Buln)
42) S. Stocco (NNG)
43) R. Morgan (KWR)
44) B. Heus (Bun)
45) D. Brown (LL)
46) N. Brewster (WI)
47) A. Adams (Poo)
48) D. Johnson (WI)
49) J. Delphine (Cat)
50) J. Peterson (Ell)

In my opinion, Lacunes, McDonald, Wilson & Peterson are all to high. Just decent players in poor teams, probably not even top 50 material. D.Brown is not top 50 worthy either. He was pushing close a couple years back before his injury. Eastwell would be around the 30-40 mark not top 10. Personally believe Hobgen is a better player/ruckmen than Dwyer. It is a real toss of the coin though after about the top 20. Off the top of my head I would squeeze in Nicholls & Tomamichel (Lang Lang), S.Reid, Bow(Top 20) & Fry (Garfield), Young & Redl (Neerim South), Robinson(Top 10), Horazcko (Cora Lynn) Kennedy (Dusties) McConnell (NNG) in the top 50

Each to their own... I agree he's a gun/was a gun with a great football brain & coaching strategies, but he's getting on a bit and from the games i watched of him this year he seems to gather a lot of his possessions from behind play and out the back of packs. Not a very damaging player in my books, just a good reader of the play. You might watch him more than I do though

No room for C. Larosa in the top 50?? i know the umpires love him just thought he would get a go. Lacunes is a gun and would be even better in a better team, was a very big part in Darnums premiership in the backline. S.Muir from south had a good year aswell. If that little Triki bloke from Dusties can get injury free he's be a shoe in ;)

I made a pre requisite that they had to of played at least 6 senior games, otherwise there could of been a handful VFL players that could of been eligible and they werent truly EDFL players. Did Brett Dore even play any games for NNG in 2011?

Sorry Doc, my bad. Didn't really read it, thought you were talking about next year. Really only posted it to let everyone know the big fella is back in town anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest... I thought this might spark some debate but it has done nothing... Two years ago this forum had everything going for it and there were people eft right and centre Abington their opinion. But now... I see umpteen odd comments and 1,400 views.. Have some balls and tell us how it is!!! Make up a rubbish name, but just get involved with what is happening with this league! From what I hear it will be stronger than 2011 so just just look, say something!!!!

No room for C. Larosa in the top 50?? i know the umpires love him just thought he would get a go. Lacunes is a gun and would be even better in a better team, was a very big part in Darnums premiership in the backline. S.Muir from south had a good year aswell. If that little Triki bloke from Dusties can get injury free he's be a shoe in ;)

if Lacunes is a gun, this league must be rubbish!!

Don't worry, Lacunes is not a gun. Not sure how that Piezy bloke rates players. If we were rating the dirtiest snipers in the league then I'd have Lacunes in my top 5... He wouldn't be in the best 150 players in the league. Larosa on the other hand would be close to top 50. Muir from Neerim, whilst a decent player is nowhere near top 50.

I respect your opinion on Lacunes its sometimes interesting to see how ppl from other clubs rate other players.

Lacunes is easily in the top 150 players. Easily the most important player at Darnum ATM. In 2010 when he was injured and suspended we really struggled across half back and in the ruck. Very versitile player for the Darno's.

I do agree that he can be a little bit agressive with the point of the elbow at times, however he takes it back as well and gets on with the job. Possibly the easiest bloke to suck in, that I've seen, though. No doubt about it.

I always enjoy the banter that goes on in this forum but lately there has been quite a lull.. So I have put together a list of players I believe to be the top 50 in the EDFL for 2011.

I have tried to be fair and include at least one player from each team but I think it would be fair to say that there are a few that should consider themselves lucky to be in there.

From what I seen or heard this year I think the top 4 teams this year, Garfield, NNS, Cora Lynn and Bunyip probably had 8 or 9 players from each team that could of easily of made their way onto my list but at least this list might create a bit more interest from the whole EDFL community.

1) B. Kimber (CL)
2) C. Urie (NNS)
3) T. Marsh (Gar)
4) S. Brewster (WI)
5) C. Pattie (Bun)
6) B. Dwyer (LL)
7) J. Allen (CL)
8) B. Hobgen (WI)
9) T. Holland (Long)
10) B. Eastwell (Gar)
11) K. Bergles (Poo)
12) N. Marsh (Gar)
13) B.Marsh (Gar)
14) B Jostlear (Bun)
15) M. Duiker (CL)
16) M. Urie (NNS)
17) L. Sheehan (NNS)
18) R. Gillis (CL)
19) K. Batt (LL)
20) D. Harders (CL)
21) A. Henwood (Bun)
22) L. McDonald (Long)
23) H. Lacunes (ND)
24) T. Morrow (NNS)
25) B. Keane (NNG)
26) S. Marchetti (CL)
27) R. O’Hara (WI)
28) C. Hinkley (NNS)
29) M. Hobbs (Gar)
30) C. Wilson (Ny)
31) M. Laszczyk (Bun)
32) L. Serong (Long)
33) A. Bernado (Buln)
34) L. Bee-Hugo (Gar)
35) T. Payne (CL)
36) B. Hughes (NNG)
37) L. McFarlane (Cat)
38) D. Kelly (NNG)
39) A Creasey (Lang)
40) A. Wallace (Ell)
41) D. Charles (Buln)
42) S. Stocco (NNG)
43) R. Morgan (KWR)
44) B. Heus (Bun)
45) D. Brown (LL)
46) N. Brewster (WI)
47) A. Adams (Poo)
48) D. Johnson (WI)
49) J. Delphine (Cat)
50) J. Peterson (Ell)

Interleague footy back next year Ellinbank v CHFL both leagues have been reluctant interleague participants for years.

Has a coach for EDFL been appointed ?
Who will make themselves available ?
Will all clubs support their players participating ?

VCFL missed a great opportunity for local footy Ellinbank v Alberton would have created great interest Alberton v Mid Gippy cant see MG getting close if Alberton stars play, again like most interleague will depend who makes themselves available

Dont know much about CH but plenty of teams also plenty of cash thrown around

1) B. Kimber (CL)
2) C. Urie (NNS)
3) T. Marsh (Gar)
4) S. Brewster (WI)
5) C. Pattie (Bun)
6) B. Dwyer (LL)
7) J. Allen (CL)
8) B. Hobgen (WI)
9) T. Holland (Long)
10) B. Eastwell (Gar)
11) K. Bergles (Poo)
12) N. Marsh (Gar)
13) B.Marsh (Gar)
14) B Jostlear (Bun)
15) M. Duiker (CL)
16) M. Urie (NNS)
17) L. Sheehan (NNS)
18) R. Gillis (CL)
19) K. Batt (LL)
20) D. Harders (CL)
21) A. Henwood (Bun)
22) L. McDonald (Long)
23) H. Lacunes (ND)
24) T. Morrow (NNS)
25) B. Keane (NNG)
26) S. Marchetti (CL)
27) R. O’Hara (WI)
28) C. Hinkley (NNS)
29) M. Hobbs (Gar)
30) C. Wilson (Ny)
31) M. Laszczyk (Bun)
32) L. Serong (Long)
33) A. Bernado (Buln)
34) L. Bee-Hugo (Gar)
35) T. Payne (CL)
36) B. Hughes (NNG)
37) L. McFarlane (Cat)
38) D. Kelly (NNG)
39) A Creasey (Lang)
40) A. Wallace (Ell)
41) D. Charles (Buln)
42) S. Stocco (NNG)
43) R. Morgan (KWR)
44) B. Heus (Bun)
45) D. Brown (LL)
46) N. Brewster (WI)
47) A. Adams (Poo)
48) D. Johnson (WI)
49) J. Delphine (Cat)
50) J. Peterson (Ell)

ive just had my first look at this top 50. obviously a few players you rate very highly.

L.McDonald(hard at it like his brother, but does struggle and very easy to match up on)

C.Pattie (not a bad player, but top 5??? Definatley have eastwell, batt, duiker, n.marsh in fron of him and others as well)

M.Urie ( to be honest havent seen him do much at all)

Not to have D.Zajac (CHB of the year). Top 10 for me.

M.Duiker (top 10)

The rest seems pretty good, not a bad effort i reakon doctor jones.

There may be a few inclusions for this year as well.

Walker (KWR)
Shorey (KWR)
Dore (NNG)
Lieshout (Bunyip)
Z.Vansittart (Bunyip???)

Any others ive missed?

ive just had my first look at this top 50. obviously a few players you rate very highly.

L.McDonald(hard at it like his brother, but does struggle and very easy to match up on)

C.Pattie (not a bad player, but top 5??? Definatley have eastwell, batt, duiker, n.marsh in fron of him and others as well)

M.Urie ( to be honest havent seen him do much at all)

Not to have D.Zajac (CHB of the year). Top 10 for me.

M.Duiker (top 10)

The rest seems pretty good, not a bad effort i reakon doctor jones.

There may be a few inclusions for this year as well.

Walker (KWR)
Shorey (KWR)
Dore (NNG)
Lieshout (Bunyip)
Z.Vansittart (Bunyip???)

Any others ive missed?

Thank you for your comments Punch... At the end of the day, I probably had McDonald up a bit high, but the thing was, it was for the year 2011 and because it was so wet he really did play well in the majority of games.

In terms of Pattie, he had much better support around him compared to 2010, and that was a contributing factor to Bunyip's rise up the ladder, but at the end of the day, when Pattie played well, Bunyip would win, no matter who they were playing against. Two games that stick in my mind was when Bunyip beat Garfield, and the semi-final against Cora Lynn, they were up by 4 goals when he came off with a dislocated shoulder but without him they just werent the same team.

Urie I only put in there as high as I did just because of the fact that Neerim were grand finalists and in my opionion he was the next best player out there.

I havent seen a heap of NNG games and maybe thats why I dont know much about Zajac, but if he is a dominant CHB he probably deserves to be in the top 30.

I do agree with Duiker being a gun and is one of my favourite players to watch, thats why he was a number 15, I did want to get him down loweer but just couldnt push anyone else out.

All 5 of those players will be in this years Top 20, and I think they will be a big reason why the league will go up another notch in 2012. I see you have a question mark next to Vansittart, but from what I've heard, he is signed sealed at Bunyip.

Is it worth noting the unlucky players not to make my Top 50 to cover off everyone who was on the list?

Thank you for your comments Punch... At the end of the day, I probably had McDonald up a bit high, but the thing was, it was for the year 2011 and because it was so wet he really did play well in the majority of games.

In terms of Pattie, he had much better support around him compared to 2010, and that was a contributing factor to Bunyip's rise up the ladder, but at the end of the day, when Pattie played well, Bunyip would win, no matter who they were playing against. Two games that stick in my mind was when Bunyip beat Garfield, and the semi-final against Cora Lynn, they were up by 4 goals when he came off with a dislocated shoulder but without him they just werent the same team.

Urie I only put in there as high as I did just because of the fact that Neerim were grand finalists and in my opionion he was the next best player out there.

I havent seen a heap of NNG games and maybe thats why I dont know much about Zajac, but if he is a dominant CHB he probably deserves to be in the top 30.

I do agree with Duiker being a gun and is one of my favourite players to watch, thats why he was a number 15, I did want to get him down loweer but just couldnt push anyone else out.

All 5 of those players will be in this years Top 20, and I think they will be a big reason why the league will go up another notch in 2012. I see you have a question mark next to Vansittart, but from what I've heard, he is signed sealed at Bunyip.

Is it worth noting the unlucky players not to make my Top 50 to cover off everyone who was on the list?

Yeah pretty much spot on there Doctor. Gee, Vansittart is one hell of a pick up. I don't reakon to many teams out there will know who he is or where he has come from (other than Dusties i suspect). Gun, hard at it type who had a top year at Division 1 Eastern team, Blackburn (arguably the best comp in Vic). Look out Dogs this year!!!

Yeah a few honourable mentions from last year

S.Dwyer (LL, may of been injured)
Zajac (NNG)
Kennedy (W.I)
McConnell(NNG 50+ goals)
Benvenuto (Catani)
Tyrell (Catani)
those two may have had injuries, but i suspect they will be right this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back