EFC players: Comfortable satisfaction not reached.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the judgment that was released only to the parties, the tribunal chaired by David Jones said there had been a "deplorable absence of records in the program relating to its administration".

In finding that it could not be comfortably satisfied that the players took the banned drug thymosin beta-4, the tribunal noted that "it is the responsibility of the club to ensure that complete and accurate records are kept".

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rdkeeping-was-deplorable-20150331-1mc8hi.html
As another poster stated, not keeping records is about as smart as playing an AFL game without a score board.

Even if they all got wiped, surely the staff would know the back ground to why certain players got what and the data gathered to understand this. The only time there are no records is because this information is bad for your agenda.

Did the players get paid? Did any contracts get lost? Did stats get kept of their performances and medical records etc? This is evidence that something dodgy was going on and why no one except the AFL and Essendon is comfortable with the outcome.

Time before tribunal: Two whole years - 26 months

Treatment of the players during said time: "Guilty until proven innocent" (barbaric)

Standard of proof for a guilty verdict: Comfortable satisfaction (not beyond a reasonable doubt)

Decision: Unanimous

Speed: Lightning quick (even the live stream missed it)

Verdict: NOT GUILTY. Innocent. Vindicated.

Time to move on, let the league breathe again uninterrupted and forget the pathetic display of trying to warrant funds/existence as ASADA have done.

I'm happy for the players as I've always felt that it would have been extremely harsh had they been suspended considering all the evidence points to them having trusted that the club wasn't doing anything wrong and being burnt as a result. It's not particularly fair to say they need to ask exactly what every little thing the club gives them is and if it's legal. It's generally a fair assumption that if the club is giving it to them they can rest easy knowing the club wouldn't give them something they're not allowed to have. We don't know 100% if they were even given anything illegal, this whole matter has been a cluster f*** from the beginning so it's nice to see the players cleared after all this mess.

Thanks for the link - interesting article.

The counsel for the AFL, Jeff Gleeson QC — who had largely watched proceedings and been in discussions with both ASADA's and the players' lawyers — made a final day submission on penalties, in the event that Jones and co found the players guilty. Gleeson said, considering the circumstances, if they were found guilty, the players should receive only a small match-based penalty, comparable to a "hamstring" injury.

And this is why people think the AFL administration is a steaming pile of corrupt s**t.

The AFL's own legal counsel submitted that in the event that players were found guilty of taking a banned substance, a drug considered performance enhancing, their penalty should be comparable to a hamstring injury. Being found guilty of taking a PED that carries a two year penalty somehow reasonably equates to an injury that normally results in a 2-4 week absence. * me.

Whether intentional or not, this process has proved to be a blueprint for how to get away with doping an entire team

what does "Comfortable satisfaction not reached" mean?

and who typed it?

Its over dude... they are onto the real PEDs now... You know like real roids and positive tests etc...?
ASADA has 21 days to appeal.
Then WADA has another 21 days to appeal.
It ain't over yet.

Interestingly, it was thought the players would be suspended for the start of the season. Now it looks like they could be suspended for the end of the season.

It ain't over yet.

yeah it is. its over dude. ASADA have absolutely no basis for any kind appeal.

unless you know something they don't know?

do you Stroker? what do you think they could appeal on Stroker?

hey, if I can raise a practical point.... who is changing the thread title of this thread?

is anyone accountable?

can I ask?

is that allowed?

is it a mod? is it only a HTB mod?

can I get a god damn answer as to why this thread topic has been changed? WITHOUT the post being deleted if that's ok?

hey, if I can raise a practical point.... who is changing the thread title of this thread?

is anyone accountable?

can I ask?

is that allowed?

is it a mod? is it only a HTB mod?

can I get a god damn answer as to why this thread topic has been changed? WITHOUT the post being deleted if that's ok?

I believe it was changed by the Chief of Control ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key witnesses who refused to sign manipulated and corrupted statements prepared by ASADA.
They could have attended the tribunal if they were so concerned. Funny how willing Charter is to tell all to the media but refused to attend the tribunal where he could have helped the players.

I don't think so. Sounds like they might have a better chance at CAS. Maybe those cries of innocence are a little premature.

ugh

"cries of innocence"

you do realize the boat has sailed yeh?

Treatment of the players during said time: "Guilty until proven innocent" (barbaric)
Well, it was the opinion of general public (opposing supporters specially). But they were allowed to play. Actually had no consequences apart from perhaps a bit bad reputation. Perhaps being in doubt about it was not that nice, but I do agree that this took far too long. But othe rplayxer get suspended until case is cleared. Even for stuff that does not really influence footy at all (nightclub brawls and the likes)...

It ain't over yet.

Interestingly, it was thought the players would be suspended for the start of the season. Now it looks like they could be suspended for the end of the season.

Standard of proof is raised in an appeal.

If innocence is declared after 2 whole years upon a "comfortable satisfaction" standard of proof, what ground is ASADA or WADA going to stand on in 21 mesely days upon a higher standard of proof?

ASADA would be stupid to appeal, and in doing so, THEY will be the only ones bringing the game into disrepute after such a quick verdict and damaging their own dignity. Not ours.

It's over.

but but but the coaching staff are mean and nasty. how could they do it to the kiddies!

GEEZ!

grasp the outcome by the bollocks and deal with it.

It ain't over yet.

I don't know that WADA and ASADA really want to go after the players. They got their man when they bailed Hird up.

I'm happy for the players as I've always felt that it would have been extremely harsh had they been suspended considering all the evidence points to them having trusted that the club wasn't doing anything wrong and being burnt as a result. It's not particularly fair to say they need to ask exactly what every little thing the club gives them is and if it's legal. It's generally a fair assumption that if the club is giving it to them they can rest easy knowing the club wouldn't give them something they're not allowed to have. We don't know 100% if they were even given anything illegal, this whole matter has been a cluster f*** from the beginning so it's nice to see the players cleared after all this mess.

and THAT is why you supporters have it both ways: when its the players responsibility- burn. when its not, Hird should burn.

no disrespect Crows4Eva, but after the Cluster* we've endured, nah nevermind.

speak up next time will ya? and try and sound less like my 90year old Scottish Grappy (ITS GENERALLY A FAIR ASSUMPTION)

There was a huge big Stephen Dank shaped hole in the evidence. Always was.

It's been clear for a pretty long time that the tribunal wasn't going to be able to make a definitive call on which thymosin the players were injected with. This process was never going to bring closure on that issue. I do genuinely hope that Dank ends up in a court room one day, and we can all find out. (if that's even possible.)

This process was specifically about Thymosin Beta 4, and ASADA didn't provide enough evidence. In fact, when you hand out SCN's and then offer 'deals' five seconds later, it's likely you know it by that stage. Ol' McDevitt soldiered on though. Good on him.

I don't believe for a second that the AFL would manipulate this to the extent that they'd hide / ignore 'smoking gun' evidence for the sake of their 'TV deals.' But they sure as fcuk weren't going to suspend an entire team if they didn't have to. Or because of 'the vibe.'

In the end, when you add it all up, we've been half punished for something we were never actually found guilty of. It's an even-steven finish.

You guys can dwell on it all you want.

I'm gonna watch footy, 'cause this is sh*t and footy is awesome.
The tribunal rejected the notion that he had used the legal variant, thymosin alpha. Jones said the tribunal had no reason to doubt a statement by Mr Xu of GL Biochem, where he said he had produced thymosin beta-4 for Charter, which Xu had said should only be used for research purposes, and not administered to humans.

Rubbish. There were no specific deals offered with the SCN's. You must be thinking of Cronulla.

But you've as good as admitted you cheated and we all know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back