Elevation Training Mask

Remove this Banner Ad

This is something I have on file from Alex Viada - i type in a bit of "shorthand' when i do this typing but you should get the gist of what he's saying:

hypoxia is a lack of sufficient o2 and the body responds to high alt because of a decrease in atmospheric pressure (remembering that gas exchange in the lungs occurs via passive diffusion

by decreasing the air pressure of in-coming air (making it less dense) the actual amount of total air molecules in a given vol (cubic cm of air in lungs) is decreased meaning per square “whatever” of gas exchange surface, fewer molecules of o2 make their way into the bloodstream so it’s not just lack of air, it’s the poressure of the in-coming air (partial pressure of o2)

by decreasing red blood cell count the body can maximise the amount of o2 taken in to the bloodstream per cubic cm of air and while this process takes a while and requires a constant low pressure environment to trigger this costly up regulation

this adaptation can take months of low atmospheric pressure and in the meantime performance can be hindered so training at alt may elicit some adaptations but the work being completed decreases

it’s time at low pressure that matters more then stress at low pressure so live in high pressure but train in low pressure to keep training int high

the trouble w/ masks is not low pressure hypoxia but that it makes it harder to inhale and the air is identical to regular atmospheric air that contains plenty of o2 and in no way simulates alt or triggers an increase in red blood cell count

it simply makes it harder to breathe forcing you to waste energy on breathing where elite athlets can control their breathing and be extremely efficient at it

performance is never limited by a lack of air in the lungs but rather blood flow, o2 delivery and o2 utilisation that is not insufficient

we only feel like we need to breathe harder because of the I’m out of air sensation being triggered in the brain due to physiological factors such as systemic stress and changes in blood ph (not a clear a science yet though)

Yeah the masks basically do nothing but promote poor breathing patters. It's the exact same thing as putting a plug over your nose, two straws in your mouth and only breathing through them while exercising.

Good marketing though and I'm sure they'll make plenty off people who have no idea what they actually do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back