Unrestricted Free Agent Elliot Yeo [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you see him play yesterday and the connection he has with Harley?

After missing out on Yeo’s prime years 26-29 we’re finally seeing him back at his best.

He’s the perfect player you want to keep in a young team because of his size and play style.

Not to mention that trading him would break young Harley’s heart. The two are basically frothing all over each other.

The media is bad enough, don't start.

No club is offering a first round pick for a 31 year old Yeo, even if he plays a full season in 2024.

The guy hasn’t played lasted a whole season in nearly 5 years.
I reckon a club or 2 could chuck a 2nd rounder for a 31 year old Yeo, a late 2nd rounder of pick 30-40, on a 2 or 3 year deal thats a finals contender.

I don't really get this line of thought.

By this logic, Geelong should be looking to ship out anyone 29+ with currency at the end of this season to continue to rejuvenate the list.

OK, so Geelong won a flag in 2022 and are 5-0 this year with those older players.

West Coast are one of the worst sides of all time with those older players.

OK, so Geelong won a flag in 2022 and are 5-0 this year with those older players.

Yes but the only time those older players had any currency was when we were playing finals.

The fact that most of those older blokes were permanently injured the past 2 and a half years meant they ended up with little to no currency.

Now that they're back on the park every week(Yeo, Barrass and McGovern particularly) we're seeing much improved performances. Yes, the first 3 rounds weren't ideal score-wise but the effort around the contest has been far improved. For instance, we lost to WB by 70+ points yet matched inside 50s. A much better effort the next week vs Sydney and a win over Richmond(albeit severely depleted).

If the old players were shipped off for speculative later picks, we'd be in a complete hole with no way out in sight. This leads to young players having to take leading roles well before they're ready, which leads to stunted development, even more smashing and ultimately would impact player retention.

I'm very comfortable with the route the club's decided to go down, considering our recent bottom 4 companions in Hawthorn and North have had far better draft hands than us yet appear to be going backwards.

Playing good footy and good news in isolation, but can't help thinking this is still WCE trying to hold on to the veterans. And that really has not worked out.

Eagles need every good player they can get.

Yeo as a UFA would net the Eagles a 2nd rounder that will slide all the way out to pick 30.

Id rather have a 31 and 32 year old Yeo playing alongside Ried, Ginbey, Hewett and this years first round mid than some skinny 18 year old at pick 30 who will be playing reserves for two years.

We cannot expect the kids to cop all the bash and crash.

Yeo hasnt played much footy in the past 3 years. Hopefully that has lessened the wear and tear from the bash and crash playing every single week.

Last edited:

So whats the difference between Geelongs older players and the Eagles older pkayers?

Or is it the never ending quality trades Geelong lands to help replenish their list after other sides have spent years developing them?

Trades keep Geelong up for longer.

And reduced travel compared to interstate sides especially WA sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concern for the Eagles, outside of Allen and Reid, their best players are over 30 years old or approaching it soon. Yeo is giving a blue print for Reid to follow which is ideal for the Eagles.

I’d love Yeo at the dockers for the next 2 seasons because he’s the sort of player that can take a game apart. Different to Fyfe who appears to be approaching his latter years with some limitations, though Fyfe is still playing well, Yeo has started 2024 in AA form.

I can’t see Yeo leaving the Eagles. He’ll get paid more to stay than leave, and he’s achieved a flag so motivation to chase success is lower.

Eagles could delist Gaff, Darling, Cripps (less so) and not really impact their on field performance. Trade McGovern and Yeo and they’ll struggle to win games.

I can’t see them letting him go, he would need to be really offended with how he was handled (like Hamling for us, though that was Colin Young too) to leave as an UFA.

Last edited:
What's all this complaining about trading Yeo? Nobody is trading for him as a UFA. I'd also suggest the very best compensation that could be hoped for is band 3 and it might not even be that since were he to leave I can't imagine the destination club offering a deal that doesn't include a significant component of non guaranteed money given his injury history, which would dilute it further.

Having not traded their older players like him when they had currency they mayas well keep them now to facilitate the rebuild.

What's all this complaining about trading Yeo? Nobody is trading for him as a UFA. I'd also suggest the very best compensation that could be hoped for is band 3 and it might not even be that since were he to leave I can't imagine the destination club offering a deal that doesn't include a significant component of non guaranteed money given his injury history, which would dilute it further.

Having not traded their older players like him when they had currency they mayas well keep them now to facilitate the rebuild.

So using Yeo as the example, when exactly should we have made this magical trade?
He's played 37 games out of a possible 88 in the last 4 years, noone was giving anything of value for him over that time

Before that we were a year out from a flag and the suggestion is we should've traded our back to back B&F winner a year later with the foresight that he'd be injured for the next 4 years

Again, genius

We cant trade then because we are signing them is a strange take
Just like Scottie Pippen when he left the Chicago Bulls in 1998 , ironic as he was 31 years old too.

But being a 35 year old NBA player is like being a 30 or 31 year old AFL player. Past their prime but still useful for another 2 or 3 years.
I don't really get this line of thought.

By this logic, Geelong should be looking to ship out anyone 29+ with currency at the end of this season to continue to rejuvenate the list.
Funny that. But depends on the situation. I remember Freo in 2018. Dockers has 5 or 6 players aged 30 over in the starting 18. So guys like Sandi, Johnson and Mundy. That's irrelevant if you got 2 or 3 kids rotated off the bench.

True.

I remember freos 2012-15 finals run. Sandilands, McPharlin and Pavlich were all 30 years old In 2012 and 34 years old in 2015.

That's our best ruckman, tall defender and tall forward .

Why retire them at 30 or 31 if they are playing well and help the side makes finals?

"WC are uncompetitive, it's ruining the comp"

But also

"WC should let their best player who's also one of the best in the comp when fit go for f-all"

Genius
Go look at freos 2016-21 rebuild . How come they didn't finish bottom 2 like eagles did in 2022 and 2023?

Also where's freos priority picks? Oh that's right, they got none. Dockers got active and creative on the trade table.

I suggest the eagles do the same and get active on the trade table.

Harley Reid was an inspired pick, but I would back the Eagles to trade picks 2 and 38 for picks 5, 23 and 41 and get 3 gun WA kids

Go look at freos 2016-21 rebuild . How come they didn't finish bottom 2 like eagles did in 2022 and 2023?

Also where's freos priority picks? Oh that's right, they got none. Dockers got active and creative on the trade table.

Harley Reid was an inspired pick, but I would back the Eagles to trade picks 2 and 38 for picks 5, 23 and 41 and get 3 gun WA kids
Freo in 2016-21 had 18 injurieas at once for over a month like we did?

Apples and oranges

Who would the 3 gun WA kids be? It seems that WA junior development is at an all time low and currently there would be lucky to be 2 WA kids rated in the Top 30 draft prospects this year. One of them is Malekai Champion who is our NGA.
Time to play out in the U18s season obviously, but trying to stay local at the expense of better interstate prospects is not something I think we will be doing anytime soon.

Freo sure do get creative. Trade Ben king pick for hogan. Then trade hogan for pick 54.

Give me some more of that creativity please.

Also, players wanting to leave your club and collecting draft picks as a result is not being creative.

Last thing one wants to do is to look at freo and wish that upon them.

If freo fans are recommending a pick trade, 100% is not the right one. No one would take the trade you suggested. NOONE.

Again that's the difference.

If a club has 5 or 6 or 7 or even 8 blokes In the starting 18, aged 30 or over and they make finals and win finals , then there's little talk of a rebuild .

But if that club with 6-8 guys aged 30 or over is in the bottom 6, then it's rebuild mode

Freo sure do get creative. Trade Ben king pick for hogan. Then trade hogan for pick 54.

Give me some more of that creativity please.

Also, players wanting to leave your club and collecting draft picks as a result is not being creative.

Last thing one wants to do is to look at freo and wish that upon them.

If freo fans are recommending a pick trade, 100% is not the right one. No one would take the trade you suggested. NOONE.
Ah yes when Freo poster says do a trade, you bring up a bad one.

Here's a nice one.Dockers traded Brad hill and a 2020 3rd rounder for picks 10, 58, Blake acres, 2020 2nd rounder and 2020 4th rounder.

That 2020 2nd and 2020 4th rounder was traded to Collingwood for 2020 3rd rounder and James Aish.

That pick 10 somehow was traded down to pick 8 for Caleb Serong .

Blake acres, Caleb Serong and James Aish were in that famous 2022 Elim final win vs the dogs.

I don't regret that trade.

I don't regret the Rory Lobb trade either.

Of the 23 dockers players in that 2022 Elim final win, 19 of those blokes got their 1st ever finals win on their career even if Lobb, Logue and acres left a month later

Again that's the difference.

If a club has 5 or 6 or 7 or even 8 blokes In the starting 18, aged 30 or over and they make finals and win finals , then there's little talk of a rebuild .

But if that club with 6-8 guys aged 30 or over is in the bottom 6, then it's rebuild mode

Yeah worth noting that WC and Geelong pretty much did exactly the same thing with their veterans. But ours stayed fit and performed, and theirs didn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back