Emma q 'Power Rankings'

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see him lasting to Pick 30. But again, I think Emma's rankings are the most likely types to succeed, rather than a risk v reward draft perspective. McKenzie would have to be a speculative pick for a club like us or the Saints - couple of picks close together in the 20's.... Not necessarily an early pick, but a late first round/early second pick.
Hope we snap him up with 21/22

Or maybe she just doesn't rate him. She has Cockatoo high and he's just about as speculative as a pick gets.

Yeah, fair comment. Strange one as he looks like he has plenty of things that would attract a recruiter - maybe she knows something we don't ??

Hope we snap him up with 21/22
Beyond ridiculous if St Kilda let him go past 22 and I think BF would just about blow up if we let him past 27. Can't ever have enough big talented tall forwards who can take contested marks. Could play McKenzie as like a 2nd ruck too who plays 70% as a forward.
News around the town is that North, Saints and Dogs circling Oscar McDonald for a pick in the 20's. I hope Saints pull the trigger with either pick 21 or 22 so McKenzie falls to North at 25....as I doubt Saints will go two talls with both 21 & 22.

News around the town is that North, Saints and Dogs circling Oscar McDonald for a pick in the 20's. I hope Saints pull the trigger with either pick 21 or 22 so McKenzie falls to North at 25....as I doubt Saints will go two talls with both 21 & 22.

Think we are in a really interesting position. Historically teams with a need for talls at either end usually take on in the early second round. Yet its fair to argue that picks 4 - 20 odd a pretty even. I think North will get McDonald and Saints get McKenzie but really I have NFI what will happen come Nov 27. McKenzie won't get past the Blues second rounder and McDonald won't go past ours I feel. Also players like McKenzie and McDonald could net good trade value in a couple of years time (like a Stanley) so teams with multiple 2nd rounders should have a sniff.

McKenzie would be very handy to inject in 2 years time after Petrie and Waite depart.

I reckon if we miss out on both McDonald and McKenzie we'll go for Tyler Keitel early at 26 or 27. We have bought in 2 key defenders already, just think we need another key forward.

Think we are in a really interesting position. Historically teams with a need for talls at either end usually take on in the early second round. Yet its fair to argue that picks 4 - 20 odd a pretty even. I think North will get McDonald and Saints get McKenzie but really I have NFI what will happen come Nov 27. McKenzie won't get past the Blues second rounder and McDonald won't go past ours I feel. Also players like McKenzie and McDonald could net good trade value in a couple of years time (like a Stanley) so teams with multiple 2nd rounders should have a sniff.

McKenzie would be very handy to inject in 2 years time after Petrie and Waite depart.
That's our department.

Yep McDonald would be a better fit for North than us or St Kilda imo, McDonald is taller than Thompson and Grima and only Hansen is of a similar height. Boyd and McKenzie would be a massive forward line but really don't see him going past St Kilda's picks.

I reckon if we miss out on both McDonald and McKenzie we'll go for Tyler Keitel early at 26 or 27. We have bought in 2 key defenders already, just think we need another key forward.

I'd personally overlook Keitel until 39 (which he would probably be gone by then) and address speed. If we can't get McDonald nor McKenzie good chances are a genuine slider drops plus a speed type (Menadue/Garlett) are still on the board.

I'd personally overlook Keitel until 39 (which he would probably be gone by then) and address speed. If we can't get McDonald nor McKenzie good chances are a genuine slider drops plus a speed type (Menadue/Garlett) are still on the board.
I just think we should prioritise a KPF in the 2nd round otherwise we'll end up with hit and miss mature age types later in the draft. Honeychurch slid last year but we missed out on Ben Brown for Fuller.

Menadue and Keitel at 26/27 would be fine with me.

HAHA, thanks man, I've always had a thing for the draft, especially cause I got brothers who were with Calder Cannons and have played against and with players that will be getting drafted within the next year or 2 :)

It's always good to see which player is gonna be a boom or bust.
Have you seen the Cannons play much this year by any chance? If so, what are your thoughts on Wright?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen the Cannons play much this year by any chance? If so, what are your thoughts on Wright?
Unfortunately both my bros were only in the training squad and weren't with any of the top ages boys. My middle bro did see him at training and he can move well. Just gets the impression that his always gonna have those little, niggle injuries that just won't go away but hopefully that improves. He said he does have a thumping kick and can clunk a mark nicely.

If anything, next year there will be a few good players coming through.

Stewie Loewe MK2?
Haha, not quite, I don't believe Reece's are freakishly big (Liam Dawson's are apparently getting close though!), but they measure hand span at the combine these days (along with everything else!) and I believe there were only a couple out of the 100+ who's measured bigger than his and that his were considerably bigger than a lot of the other "KPP" prospects, hence his powerful clunking overhead and very clean hands in the testing.

So basically you've got someone who's got a huge frame, that won't need to get any bigger and that will only get more ripped and who has a big leap, is super-strong overhead and has loads of explosive potential on the lead. Sounds like there's plenty still to work on, but that is to be expected after a year or two out of the game prior to this year and that of course is what the development team at AFL clubs are there for.

Last edited:
Haha, not quite, I don't believe they are freakishly big (Liam Dawson's are apparently getting close though!), but they measure hand span at the combine and I believe there were only a couple out of the 100+ who's measured bigger than his and that his were considerably bigger than a lot of the other "KPP" prospects, hence his powerful marking and very clean hands in the testing.
Fair enough, I can't see him sliding past your picks at 21/22, would definitely replace Kosi if you guys got him. With Lee, White and McKenzie your forward line would look ok post Riewoldt.

Wonder if someone like Fremantle are sniffing though?

I just think we should prioritise a KPF in the 2nd round otherwise we'll end up with hit and miss mature age types later in the draft. Honeychurch slid last year but we missed out on Ben Brown for Fuller.

Menadue and Keitel at 26/27 would be fine with me.

Need a KPP with one of 26/27 - happy for it to be a defender or forward, as I feel we still need both. Next year we can prioritise the other. Or get Carlisle....

Fair enough, I can't see him sliding past your picks at 21/22, would definitely replace Kosi if you guys got him. With Lee, White and McKenzie your forward line would look ok post Riewoldt.

Wonder if someone like Fremantle are sniffing though?
Overhead he would be like Kosi and his leap is similar to Kosi's by the sounds of it, but Kosi was slow, very slender and thus pushed off easily in 1-on-1's, and poor defensively, whereas Reece is explosive and powerfully built and likewise poor defensively, so the pieces do seem to be there for him to be better than Kosi ended up being (although Kosi was never the same after the fractured skull, the concussions and all the other injuries he had, etc- except for perhaps 2009, when he was relatively injury-free for possibly the only time in his career except his first year, and kicked 48 goals).

I will be thrilled if we call out Reece's name at 21/22- if we've taken Petracca at 1- as we could then hopefully build our future forward line around McKenzie as the big rock, with the likes of White, Lee, Membrey, Bruce, Petracca, Billings, Templeton, Murdoch, Markworth and co. fitting in around him.

Freo could very well be into him and they did something similar last year with Apeness, but perhaps now that they have Apeness they won't want to get another really big unit like him and would prefer to get someone more mobile to compliment him.

He will be one of the more interesting ones to look out for on draft night.

Couple of years of following Nick around the training track will certainly show whether he has the workrate needed to succeed...
Yeah. Not many players to learn about workrate from

Overhead he would be like Kosi and his leap is similar to Kosi's by the sounds of it, but Kosi was slow, very slender and thus pushed off easily in 1-on-1's, and poor defensively, whereas Reece is explosive and powerfully built and likewise poor defensively, so the pieces do seem to be there for him to be better than Kosi ended up being (although Kosi was never the same after the fractured skull, the concussions and all the other injuries he had, etc- except for perhaps 2009, when he was relatively injury-free for possibly the only time in his career except his first year, and kicked 48 goals).

I will be thrilled if we call out Reece's name at 21/22- if we've taken Petracca at 1- as we could then hopefully build our future forward line around McKenzie as the big rock, with the likes of White, Lee, Membrey, Bruce, Petracca, Billings, Templeton, Murdoch, Markworth and co. fitting in around him.

Freo could very well be into him and they did something similar last year with Apeness, but perhaps now that they have Apeness they won't want to get another really big unit like him and would prefer to get someone more mobile to compliment him.

He will be one of the more interesting ones to look out for on draft night.
Yeah I think with Freo it depends who is left with the higher end KPPs but you'd think they would get in the best available KPD, wouldn't be surprised if they looked at Tom Lamb also.

Petracca has to be taken, he'd give you guys much needed oomph and would be the face of your club into the future. You guys don't really have any big bodied mids so he'd fill in a void there.

Yeah I think with Freo it depends who is left with the higher end KPPs but you'd think they would get in the best available KPD, wouldn't be surprised if they looked at Tom Lamb also.

Petracca has to be taken, he'd give you guys much needed oomph and would be the face of your club into the future. You guys don't really have any big bodied mids so he'd fill in a void there.
I certainly hope we take Petracca, but we do have Dunstan, Armitage and Ross (plus Weller, tagging) who are all extremely strong and/or relatively big-bodied and a similar height to Petracca, plus 'Bull' Murdoch and Membrey, who may develop into that role, so I think it would be more about us simply taking him because he's best available and the most likely to dominate games of footy, rather than because he can play in the guts.

All that said, Dunstan is almost unrecognisable from last year, after they discovered his wheat intolerance (which was causing him to pack on too much weight and leaving him feeling sluggish and lethargic), so he is no longer the really big, hulking looking unit he was last season.

Nah, I meant Sibosado. She flipped out about him just before the draft.
I was thrilled when Freo rookied him after reading her write up. I watched a fair bit of him even going down to the WAFL reserves before he cracked the senior team (Claremont). He could really play but suffered from lack of fitness and not adapting to the professionalism required. Seemed overawed by playing the game at times but every now and then he'd do something which made me realise why she rated him so highly. His kicking could be sublime.
Cracked one senior game for Freo when we played our reserves in the last game before the finals in 2010. Did a couple of excellent things but got dragged at half time (supposedly he was cooked fitness-wise from half a game or at least that was the explanation that did the rounds on our boards).

By a strange coincidence I played guitar for his sister singing up at One Arm Point near Beagle Bay which is where is family is from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back