End of year awards + a very merry wrestlinxmas

Who is your overall wrestler of the year?

• Roman Reigns

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Bianca Belair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seth Rollins

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • The Usos

• Rhea Rhipley

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • John Moxley

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Chris Jericho

• Death Triangle

• Britt Baker

• MJF

• Josh Alexander

• Other (specify)

• Kazuchika Okada

• Jay White

• Hijo del Vikingo

• Will Ospreay

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
It's that time of year again!

I've made a poll for who your overall wrestler of the year is.

Otherwise:

Match of the year:
Male wrestler of the year:
Female wrestler of the year:
Tag team of the year:
Promotion of the year:
Best angle of the year:
Best show/PPV/"Premium live event":
Best weekly show:
Non-US wrestler of the year:
"One to see in 2023" award:
Worst wrestler/tag team of the year:
Worst angle of the year:
Worst show/PPV/PLE of the year:
What are you watching over the Christmas break?

Feel free to add/suggest any other categories

Last edited:
just a suggestion: might want to specify with worst wrestler if you're judging on actual ability OR being overexposed...?

Best angle: Bloodline with Sami
"One to see in 2023" award: looking forward to Takeshita racking up the wins in AEW
Promotion of the year: STARDOM
What are you watching over the Christmas break? TJPW on Xmas eve, ChocoPro shows Xmas Eve and Xmas day (always fun and chaotic), catching up on Stardom before the PPV on 29th. planning to watch Mutoh vs Nakamura on New Years (first NOAH show for me. I should watch the archives on WU). and also might catch the Dragon Gate PPV that's airing on Xmas Day
Marina Shafir. Thankfully now most of her appearances are on Dark/Dark Elevation. If Daddy Magic is commentating, the matches are short and slightly more tolerable. This is judged both as a worker, and being overexposed. You can add Madison Reign on the overexposed too.

Last edited:
Agree Bloodline has been the best angle in wrestling hands down nothing even comes close.

Worst wrestlers Marina Shafir and Jeff Hardy.

Match of the year: It was either Death Triangle vs United Empire or FTR vs Aussie Open; locally, the best match I streamed was Mick Moretti vs Cherry Stephens in PWA, and the best matches I watched live were Hijo del Vikingo vs Adam Brooks in BCW and Robbie Eagles vs Adam Brooks at the PWA/MCW Colosseum show
Male wrestler of the year: It's probably Roman, hey? I don't watch WWE regularly enough though, so I'd probably go with Jon Moxley, he was someone that AEW was consistently able to go back to when they needed to.
I feel like it's become Rhea Ripley? But again, I don't watch enough WWE.
Tag team of the year:
Aussie Open became the best tag team in the world this year. I can't believe they aren't main eventing major shows.
Promotion of the year:
AEW was the only one I watched every week; locally, MCW was the one I went to every opportunity that I got
Best angle of the year:
Cody Rhodes kind of ran his own angle through the first half of this year. It was really different, and a really new way of promoting yourself in a different era of wrestling.
I really enjoyed Forbidden Door; locally, MCW12 was an awesome show
Best weekly show:
Again, Dynamite was the only one I watched every week
Aussie Open again, and Hijo del Vikingo never has a match that isn't incredible. He's single handedly got me watching AAA.
I'm not sure who I was thinking of when I included this... I think Lucha brothers are an interesting one, I've been waiting for them to break up and help elevate each other up the card; I hope Rhea Rhipley wins the rumble and the title at WM; if Aussie Open still aren't in major spots in WWE, AEW or New Japan by the end of next year, I don't know anything about wrestling
Again, not sure who I was thinking of when I included this, I try to be positive about wrestling. I'm not always successful, but it's always the aim. I guess The Trustbusters on AEW s**t me. Pointless jobbers.
Worst angle of the year:
I couldn't understand Jade Cargill vs Nyla Rose as a feud of 2 unlikeable heels, where they temporarily tried turning Jade tweener. It also went on forever.
I was pretty disappointed with WM this year; I remember thinking WrestleKingdom was also lots of nothing.
Catching up on DMDU locally, I gave everything after their August death match tournament a miss; also locally, I recently discovered that WrestleRampage out of Adelaide have plenty on YouTube; AAA have a big show next week; Nakamura in Japan is a big deal; I thoroughly expect to be disappointed by WrestleKingdom again, but I'll watch it.

Another category I'd love to see discussed is Wrestling story of the year. Just cos I think it's crazy that you can have wrestling's prodigal son return to the new upstart, you can give him a year, you can have him win the title twice, get injured twice, he can sit next to the owner of the company at a post-show scrum rudely eating food, picking a fight, and publicly shitting on the company's EVPs and future ace, that can lead to a back stage fight involving an injured dog and a bite that wasn't inflicted by the dog, and then they can all disappear...

And no one would even consider it to be the biggest story of the year. Wild, right?

Match of the year: FTR vs Briscoes for the ROH Tag titles, at Supercard of Honor
Male wrestler of the year: Josh Alexander (Both in talent and being booked strong)
Jordynne Grace (same)
Tag team of the year:
FTR
Promotion of the year:
AEW
Best angle of the year:
Christian Cage w/Luchasaurus vs Jungle Boy
AEW Revolution
Best weekly show:
AEW Dynamite
Konosuke Takeshita (for consistent match quality)
Grayson Wallers stocks to rise the most via winning NXT gold or making an impact on the main roster.
Top Dolla or Aliyah, tag team/faction: Trustbusters
Worst angle of the year:
Jade Cargill vs Nyla Rose
NXT In Your House
Current wrestling or WWF/WCW/ECW from 98 in spare time.
Wrestling story of the year: Vince McMahon retiring or CM Punk/Elite Brawl

Match of the year: Death Triangle v United Empire
Male wrestler of the year: Will Ospreay
Female wrestler of the year: Mandy Rose
Tag team of the year: The Acclaimed
Promotion of the year: AEW
Best angle of the year: Sami Zayn and Bloodline
Best show/ ppv / premium live event: Forbidden Door
Best weekly show: AEW Dynamite
Non-US wrestler of the year: Will Ospreay
"One to see in 2023" award: MJF as champ
Worst wrestler/tag team of the year: (S)hit row
Worst angle of the year: Jade Cargill streak
What are you watching over the Christmas break? Wrestle Kingdom
Wrestling story of the year: Vince McMahon retiring

Just a note to say I added some names to the poll. Ospreay in particular felt like a massive oversight given how many Meltzer 5-stars he's had this year.

Top 10 WWE matches according to their show, The Bump (not sure if this will differ from the usual listing they have on their website):
  1. Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins Hell in a Cell match (Hell in a Cell)​
  2. Gunther vs. Sheamus (Clash at the Castle)​
  3. Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar Last Man Standing match (SummerSlam)​
  4. Becky Lynch vs. Bianca Belair (WrestleMania 38)​
  5. Roman Reigns vs. Logan Paul (Crown Jewel)​
  6. Bianca Belair vs. Bayley Last Woman Standing match (Crown Jewel)​
  7. The Usos vs. The Street Profits (Money in the Bank)​
  8. The Bloodline vs. Team Brutes WarGames match (Survivor Series: WarGames)​
  9. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin vs. Kevin Owens no holds barred match (WrestleMania 38)​
  10. Seth Rollins vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Austin Theory (Survivor Series: WarGames)​

top 10 according to voting from Cagematch.net for comparison

# DatePromotion Match fixture WON Match Type Rating Votes
103.09.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Gunther vs. Sheamus*****Singles9.17619
207.07.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Trent Seven vs. Tyler BateSingles9.11132
305.06.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins*****Hell In A Cell9.04447
416.12.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Gunther vs. Ricochet****3/4Singles9.01217
510.12.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Axiom vs. Carmelo Hayes vs. Grayson Waller vs. JD McDonagh vs. Joe Gacy****1/4Iron Survivor Challenge8.99183
608.10.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Butch , Ridge Holland & Sheamus vs. Giovanni Vinci, Gunther & Ludwig Kaiser****1/2Good Old Fashioned Donnybrook Six Man Tag Team8.83406
722.10.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Bron Breakker vs. Ilja Dragunov vs. JD McDonagh****3/4Triple Threat8.77225
802.04.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins****1/2Singles8.63628
908.05.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins****1/2Singles8.63315
1030.07.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns****1/2Last Man Standing8.62450
1102.12.2022World Wrestling Entertainment Ricochet vs. Santos Escobar****1/4Singles8.60157

Last edited:
AEW marks quickly get your answers in.
this is the top 10 according to voting from Cagematch.net

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stardom top 10 according to voting from Cagematch.net.

119.11.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Syuri vs. Utami Hayashishita****1/2Singles9.22132
229.01.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Mayu Iwatani****1/2Singles9.12222
320.11.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom KAIRI vs. Mayu Iwatani****1/2Singles9.11219
423.02.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom AZM vs. Starlight Kid****1/2Singles9.08196
501.10.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Tam NakanoSingles9.05153
626.03.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Syuri****1/4Singles9.00198
727.03.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Saya Kamitani vs. Tam Nakano****1/4Singles8.90162
827.08.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Starlight KidSingles8.77120
901.10.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Mayu Iwatani vs. Starlight KidSingles8.66129
1029.04.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom AZM vs. Mei SurugaSingles8.64146

Stardom top 10 according to voting from Cagematch.net.

119.11.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Syuri vs. Utami Hayashishita****1/2Singles9.22132
229.01.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Mayu Iwatani****1/2Singles9.12222
320.11.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom KAIRI vs. Mayu Iwatani****1/2Singles9.11219
423.02.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom AZM vs. Starlight Kid****1/2Singles9.08196
501.10.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Tam NakanoSingles9.05153
626.03.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Syuri****1/4Singles9.00198
727.03.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Saya Kamitani vs. Tam Nakano****1/4Singles8.90162
827.08.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Giulia vs. Starlight KidSingles8.77120
901.10.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom Mayu Iwatani vs. Starlight KidSingles8.66129
1029.04.2022World Wonder Ring Stardom AZM vs. Mei SurugaSingles8.64146

It was kind of the other difficulty in nominating Syuri for the main poll.

I don't watch heaps of STARDOM, but from what I've seen over the last couple of years I think I would've been more like to nominate Giulia despite what PWI said.

It was kind of the other difficulty in nominating Syuri for the main poll.

I don't watch heaps of STARDOM, but from what I've seen over the last couple of years I think I would've been more like to nominate Giulia despite what PWI said.
Syuri is the red belt champ, so that rates higher in the kayfabe PWI ranking. But the whole storyline since Giulia lost her hair and had to pull out of last years 5 star GP (which led to Syuri winning and challenging for the red belt and winning it at last years end of year show) has been about her redemption. Not to mention them being former stable mates and tag team partners (and champions) on top of that.

Yep doesn't surprise me, probably the 800k diehards that tune in every week.

I don't know anyone who has ever voted on this crap.

The only awards worth talking about in my opinion are.

Wrestler of the year
Match of the year
PPV of the year

That's it anything more is just overkill.

and your nominations are???

These awards are pretty tough to pick everyone likes different things.

Wrestler of the year is Roman, absolute no brainier, anyone who argues has issues, no one is close.

Match of the year for me was Ricochet vs Gunther that was unbelievable, I don't think I have been that into a match in a long time

PPV of the year I can't give you that to many to pick from and again it's hard, 1 match like a main event for me can absolutely stuff a PPV even though the rest of the card was excellent.

Last edited:

Interestingly I thought Hayter vs Storm was superior to the Shida match. They had match of the night on a stacked PPV which is a rare feat for an AEW women's match.

I would have had Reigns at 2 and Mox down the list a bit but Rollins at 1 is spot on been a work horse this year.

Attachments

• 18A2001E-5E20-4F4E-A237-14CB78A2273C.jpeg
    18A2001E-5E20-4F4E-A237-14CB78A2273C.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 39
Match of the year: Cody v Rollins or Gunther v Sheamus
Male wrestler of the year: Seth Rollins
Female wrestler of the year: Rhea Ripley
Tag team of the year: Usos and FTR can’t split them
Promotion of the year: WWE
Best angle of the year: Bloodline by a long way
Best show/PPV/"Premium live event": WM Night 1, Full Gear.
Best weekly show: Smackdown
Non-US wrestler of the year: Osprey
"One to see in 2023" award: Hopefully Wardlow.
Worst wrestler/tag team of the year: Marina Shafir, Jeff Hardy/ Omos. Worst tag team / group Best Friends.
Worst angle of the year: Omos pairing with MVP, Punk/Hangman, Cargil streak.
Worst show/PPV/PLE of the year: Royal Rumble.
What are you watching over the Christmas break? Nothing.

I would have had Reigns at 2 and Mox down the list a bit but Rollins at 1 is spot on been a work horse this year.

If you swap 1 & 4 that top 7 is probably as good a list as I’ve seen.

Official Impact Wrestling awards that they gave out on this weeks episode.

Match of The Year:
Josh Alexander def. “Speedball” Mike Bailey On 12/8/22 Impact Wrestling

Wrestler of the Year:
Josh Alexander

Knockout of the Year:
Jordynne Grace

X-Division Star of the Year:
“Speedball” Mike Bailey

Knockout’s Tag Team of the Year:
Death Dollz

Men’s Tag Team of the Year:
Motor City Machine Guns