English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunderland played West Ham off the park in the first 45 and then conceded a goal in injury time.

The two goals scored were sublime. A set piece resulted in Fletcher scoring. M'Vila proving again that he can deliver something special from a free kick just outside the penalty box. Lens was subtle as he found space behind the West Ham defence and chipped over the goalkeeper. O'Shea forced the goalkeeper to make a reflex save and Barini narrowly missed on two occasions after slicing runs through the last line.

At 57 minutes Lens was yellow carded for a second time. Payet punished the Black Cats within a few minutes. The last 30 minutes was Sunderland hanging on for a 2 all draw.

The result lifted Sunderland to second last after Newcastle were hammered 6-1.:D

Not even a draw was enough to save him in the end. HBF

Meanwhile, we're not even going to bother discussing the other result overnight.

Amazing that they don't waste any time over there in the UK.
Any thoughts on who Liverpool would be looking to replace BR?

Amazing that they don't waste any time over there in the UK.
Any thoughts on who Liverpool would be looking to replace BR?

Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti have both been linked to the job, with Klopp considered the front runner at this stage.

Neither are tied to a club at the moment so could start on very short notice. Both have shown they are outstanding managers and either would be a tremendous appointment for Liverpool.

Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti have both been linked to the job, with Klopp considered the front runner at this stage.

Neither are tied to a club at the moment so could start on very short notice. Both have shown they are outstanding managers and either would be a tremendous appointment for Liverpool.

At least there are some good managers out there. Thanks for the info.
Any idea's on what Rogers might do now?

At least there are some good managers out there. Thanks for the info.
Any idea's on what Rogers might do now?

No idea at this stage. Time will tell whether he takes a break or is keen to get straight back into management.

Sunderland are looking for a new manager....I wonder if he'd be interested.

No idea at this stage. Time will tell whether he takes a break or is keen to get straight back into management.

Sunderland are looking for a new manager....I wonder if he'd be interested.

Cheers for the info J.
I really only follow the EPL at arms length. Don't follow it nearly as closely as a few others on this board.

The round ball game never ceases to amaze me. It's like that wedding scene in 'Holy Grail' where John Cleese is slaying anybody in his way as he saves the damsel in distress. Utter mayhem. 6 Managers in four seasons. Hello, hello, HELLO! This is not the way to create an environment for success. On the positive side, whoever is appointed has the chance to beat Newcastle on 25 October otherwise we might be looking for manager number 7 in early November.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Klopp or Ancelotti....if either of them want the job I definitely know which manager I would prefer given their different brands of football...

Klopp has demonstrated an ability to work with young players and build over time. Not to discount Ancelotti's achievements but the success Klopp had with Dortmund was much more impressive. As I understand it he turned boys into world beaters and unlucky not to win a UCL trophy. Part of his undoing was Bayern's aggressive transfer strategy that secured two of Dortmund's best players in Gotze and Lewendowski before 14/15 season - and possibly longer term injuries to Reus and Hummels if I am correct. The players brought in needed development and just couldn't replace two of the world's best players straight off the bat. I don't think his team recovered and had a stinker of a year. They are looking good now though with the return of Kagawa and time for new players to gel.

When has Ancelotti not inherited a team with world class players...(correct me if I am wrong). He can obviously manage a team of stars and drive them to a title but is he the best man to rebuild a team, which is what Liverpool need IMO.

On another note - how has Milner been doing in the middle of the park?

They're the owners. Ayre is the CEO and is responsible for running the club.

John Henry lives out of the US and calls all the larger (management appointments) shots from there.
Ah thats right.
Be a big game in a weeks time against Spurs.

Sunderlands search for a new manager seems to be pointing towards Sam Allardyce. It's interesting a stumbling block appears to be a book he has written and a scheduled tour to promote it. How many teams has he managed? I'd like an innovative appointment but a recycled manager appears a certainty.

Sunderlands search for a new manager seems to be pointing towards Sam Allardyce. It's interesting a stumbling block appears to be a book he has written and a scheduled tour to promote it. How many teams has he managed? I'd like an innovative appointment but a recycled manager appears a certainty.
Cough Mick Malthouse cough.

Quite a few. Bolton, Blackburn, West Ham, Newcastle United etc.

He is crap!!