Club Focus Essendon 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I think this is very optimistic.

There are many reasons why one may want to come and play for Essendon - being a part of a finals win because they haven't won one since 2004 would be well down the list.

I was part of a cricket club that hadn't won a premiership for all its 100 year existance.

Once this was highlighted in the local media, good players wanted to come accross to be a part of that elusive flag. Which is what happened.

I was part of a cricket club that hadn't won a premiership in all its 100 year existance.

Once this was highlighted in the local media, good players wanted to come accross to be a part of that elusive flag.

Great, but local cricket isn't comparable to AFL football.

Same challenge mindset but ok.

Sure, some love a challenge.

I guess those who do might instead flock to the GC because they've never made finals, let alone won one?

Or perhaps they might head to Fremantle for the sole reason that they haven't won a flag yet?

All of a sudden, the challenge of Essendon isn't looking so attractive.

Reality is, Essendon are a huge Melbourne club so will always have a level of attraction, but nobody is picking them just because they might be a part of their first finals win in 20 years.

I guess those who do might instead flock to the GC because they've never made finals, let alone won one?

Or perhaps they might head to Fremantle for the sole reason that they haven't won a flag yet?

Reality is, Essendon are a huge Melbourne club so will always have a level of attraction, but nobody is picking them just because they might be a part of their first finals win in 20 years.
about right.
and tbh, it's not like we get the lions share.

Judd went Carlton
Adams and Treloar the pies
Prestia, Hopper, Taranto, Lynch the tiges
We've done well to land McKay in a hot market + Shiel, Stringer and Smith at the time.

Fair point.
But I certainly think it helps us to attract and retain more than it hinders us.
That's assuming all our ducks are in order behind the scenes.

I'd argue it only helps players who are already there if anything.

The Parish, McGrath, Zerrett, & Heppell types would love to be apart of that breakthrough, because they've been through the pain and mediocrity and know how the supporters feel, as they've seen it for so long.

On the other hand, I can't imagine an 18 year old kid in the draft or 26 year old FA gives a s**t though.

If anything, it would be a hindrance in that situation, as they're going to a club without a proven track record of success in their lifetime.

As you say, Essendon's got a lot of attractions. Massive club, opportunity to live in Melbourne, you'll have a profile in the public eye even if you're just an ordinary player...stuff like that.

A 20 year finals drought is a fair way down that list, and it feels a bit delusional to suggest it could be a selling point too.

The whole argument for Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, & Collingwood over recent times being destination clubs has been the belief that you're guaranteed at least a shot at winning a premiership.

It's part of the reason Geelong refuse to go down, as they want to appear attractive year on year to OOC talent.
I don't think that applies in the opposite way.

The Parish, McGrath, Zerrett, & Heppell types would love to be apart of that breakthrough, because they've been through the pain and mediocrity and know how the supporters feel, as they've seen it for so long.

On the other hand, I can't imagine an 18 year old kid in the draft or 26 year old FA gives a s**t though.

If anything, it would be a hindrance in that situation, as they're going to a club without a proven track record of success in their lifetime.

As you say, Essendon's got a lot of attractions. Massive club, opportunity to live in Melbourne, you'll have a profile in the public eye even if you're just an ordinary player...stuff like that.

A 20 year finals drought is a fair way down that list, and it feels a bit delusional to suggest it could be a selling point too.

The whole argument for Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong, & Collingwood over recent times being destination clubs has been the belief that you're guaranteed at least a shot at winning a premiership.

It's part of the reason Geelong refuse to go down, as they want to appear attractive year on year to OOC talent.
I don't think that applies in the opposite way.
would be interesting to see how far the Geelong lifestyle extends if the Cats endured 5-6 years of poor form.
still think it's a drawcard though.

But I certainly think it helps us to attract and retain more than it hinders us.
I don’t think it helps or hinders, but if anything it is more likely to do the latter.

Nobody is coming to help break the streak, but a player/s may leave because of it.

I can definitely see the appeal for current players to stick around and break the streak.

But everyone has their limits. They may feel that way now, but if it doesn’t happen, they may not all stick around forever.

Going to take alot more than the next two offseasons to fully get us right but I would do this in the offseason coming up.

Retire: Heppell and Goldstein - Offer Goldstein a ruck coaching job.

Trade: Shiel to St Kilda for pick #57 - They were interested last offseason. Give him a fresh start.

Delist: Weideman, Baldwin and Wanganeen - One is useless and the others can't be trusted to get their bodies right and we need the roster spaces.

Re-Sign: Perkins and McGrath (Three years) Caldwell, Cox, Jones, Hayes and Setterfield (two years) Hind, Davey, Davey Jr, Guelfi, Kelly, Stringer, Menzie, Hunter and Visantini (one year) - Some of these are for the future and some are to provide good depth in the VFL and if injuries occur.

Upgrade: Menzie - More about not using a late pick on a two year contract in the draft.

Free Agent Signing: Isaac Cummings from GWS - Gut Running machine with elite disposal and pace. Can play either off half back or on a wing and pushes Martin back up the ground.

Draft: Use Picks #7, #27 and 57 and then two picks in the Rookie Draft - Would like to see us nab Sam Lalor with our first pick as a genuine defensive midfielder who likes the physical stuff. The other four picks we will need to pick up a ruck man best three hard running competitors available

Best 22

FB: McGrath McKay Ridley

CHB: Redman Reid Cummings

C: Martin Merrett Duursma

CHF: Perkins Jones Gresham

FF: Langford Wright Davey Jr

R: Draper Durham Parish

IC: Cox Caldwell Stringer Tsatas

Sub: Hobbs

First up: Caddy, Setterfield, Hayes and Bryan

Posted this on our board.

You do realise the only reason St Kilda was interested in taking on Shiel was to get a pick upgrade.

Does not match up with all the other rumours floating around about that deal.

Occam's razor suggests you targetted him because you thought you could get him cheap. Essendon then came in asking for more and you rightfully said no thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would be interesting to see how far the Geelong lifestyle extends if the Cats endured 5-6 years of poor form.
still think it's a drawcard though.

Probably nowhere near as attractive as it is now. I am sure a big part of it is going to to a well run club that performs well on field.

Bomber and Costa deserve a lot of credit for setting the club up that way, its a pity that things stopped Bomber doing the same for the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back