Essendon in crisis as players set to be named in banned drugs inquiry

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no legal action because the leak has come from the players themselves.

Exactly... the club would have advised the players that their names will eventually be announced.... and its better to get them out now so they can start the PR spin to make them the Victims. Get Fox and channel 7 to tell us how brave they all are for 7 months.... rally the gullible ess supporters out of another years membership. Make us watch that Stupid FOX Essendon propaganda clip for the next 2 weeks until the season starts...

Surely our legal system insists that you must be proven guilty, its almost impossible to prove that you are NOT guilty of something

The AFL anti-doping code requires a lower standard of proof think of the preponderance of evidence in civil cases vs beyond reasonable doubt in criminal cases.

You can be done not just for taking the banned drug you can be done for the "intent" to take a banned drug.

If ASADA has the supplier, compounding chemist and player signed consent forms all pointing towards a banned drug being taken and the player believes he has taken it. The player would need to come up with some evidence as to an alternative scenario.

Also the way the punishment for the infraction means that you have to cooperate, potentially dob in teammates etc to get a lower period of suspension. Do you want to plead down to six months (season off, equivalent to acl injury) or roll the dice fight and be subject to 2 year ban (a potentially career ending ban ) .

Infractions does not necessarily equal suspensions. ASADA could infract players for AOD9604 and accept no suspension if there was EVIDENCE that an ASADA official told them it's not banned.

I am very interested in the I.V. Therapy and whether infusions greater than 50ml were given? Guessing there are no records of who got what and the volumes.

12 clubs conducted programs with medium or high levels of supplement use and lacked a single point of accountability.

conducted following the release of the Australian Crime Commission's Drugs in Sport report - which also revealed that club documentation of player supplement use was 'inadequate'.

A big hopeful stretch to think this relates to clubs having anything like Essendon's.

I'm fine if Essendon did leak this.

The pressure is on to bring this to a close, ASAP.

If we did leak it I'd imagine we'd be confident of no suspensions from infractions. There'd be no reason to poke the bear for any other reason.

The AFL anti-doping code requires a lower standard of proof think of the preponderance of evidence in civil cases vs beyond reasonable doubt in criminal cases.

You can be done not just for taking the banned drug you can be done for the "intent" to take a banned drug.

If ASADA has the supplier, compounding chemist and player signed consent forms all pointing towards a banned drug being taken and the player believes he has taken it. The player would need to come up with some evidence as to an alternative scenario.

Also the way the punishment for the infraction means that you have to cooperate, potentially dob in teammates etc to get a lower period of suspension. Do you want to plead down to six months (season off, equivalent to acl injury) or roll the dice fight and be subject to 2 year ban (a potentially career ending ban ) .

Infractions does not necessarily equal suspensions. ASADA could infract players for AOD9604 and accept no suspension if there was EVIDENCE that an ASADA official told them it's not banned.

I am very interested in the I.V. Therapy and whether infusions greater than 50ml were given? Guessing there are no records of who got what and the volumes.
ASADA has categorically stated that nobody from Essendon ever asked about AOD9604 BEFORE they started using it.

12 clubs conducted programs with medium or high levels of supplement use and lacked a single point of accountability.

conducted following the release of the Australian Crime Commission's Drugs in Sport report - which also revealed that club documentation of player supplement use was 'inadequate'.

A big hopeful stretch to think this relates to clubs having anything like Essendon's.

This is EXACTLY what essendon were in Trouble for, why not investigate these clubs, afl cover up perhaps

Like essendons program, we dont know, why hasnt everyone jumpedon these clubs, oh thats right we dont know what they took, lets assume it was all above board hey, lets just ignore it, essendon acted alone didnt they
Well considering ASADA were investigating the AFL long enough to give the ACC a call and only have Essendon in their sights. Also The AFL DID investigate those other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FOR ****S SAKE ROBINSON, YOU CAN'T NAME AND THEN SHAME OTHER PEOPLE FOR THEM HAVING BEEN NAMED I MEAN WTF
Well, if the gameplan wasn't known before it was when he wrote this.

Name them. Shame them. Pity them. Stand up for them.

That article by Robbo is just so damn obvious.

pfffft assumptions....Id be more than happy for anyone to go through my club to make sure that young men trusted under their care were not going to get injected with a concoction of who knows what drugs...... But you keep playing the victim card. Too pissweak to have a look at the mirror

Last edited:
Well, if the gameplan wasn't known before it was when he wrote this.

Name them. Shame them. Pity them. Stand up for them.

That article by Robbo is just so damn obvious.

Ad the bomber supporters keep drinking the Koolaid.... keep marching to the beat...LMAO. ..... I just love how they have now turned on Robbo.... LMAO.

As I said in the other thread, sucked in to the #standbyhird crowd who were all supportive of News Ltd and their campaign to destroy Demetriou in the last few months.

News has one goal - to destroy Demetriou and re-shape the AFL executive to one that will abandon the idea of selling games straight down the pipe to consumers and give Foxtel the rights. That is their only goal.

News used Hird to whack Demetriou.

Now Hird is of no value any more, they are happily throwing Essendon under the bus in order to further the narrative of Demetriou being incompetent, having overseen the most damaging crisis in AFL history, he must go etc etc.

News don't give a s**t about Essendon.

The worts part is that Demetriou has been Essendon's best friend throughout this whole disaster.

But Essendon fans have turned on him.

Well, this is where the arrogance and stupidity leads the, They have no friends, no supporters and have just been savagely turned on by the biggest beast in the jungle.

Essendon's only hope now is the AFL and Little knows it. Hence the recent sucking up.

They need the AFL to fudge the rules so when 14 of their players get rubbed out, they can field a side.

They need the AFL to make nice with the AFLPA re player reactions.

FFS - they need to the AFL to act as guarantour when the player lawsuits come.
10/10 :thumbsu:

This is EXACTLY what essendon were in Trouble for, why not investigate these clubs, afl cover up perhaps
I can tell you a fact. Many people knew what Essendon were doing way before it was announced. It was a big topic of conversation within my group of friends a year before it came out. One of my friends actually fronted the ASADA investigation. That is fact.

Such a fail article.

The word under the heading is `OPINION`, as such it is no more authoritative than bigfooty posts.
Second, states 12 clubs had medium or high level supplement programs. B12 is a supplement, a protein shake is a supplement, clubs can give their players supplements every day of the week and be doing nothing wrong. It is banned supplements that are the issue, and she never mentioned banned supplements in relation to any other club (wonder why?)
Third, She said 12 clubs lacked a single point of accountability. This doesn't mean the clubs did not know exactly what the players were being given, by whom, when and why, just that they had not appointed a single overseer. As far as I am aware, no club other than Essendon was unaware of what its players were getting.

The article is intended as a criticism of the AFL and a defence of Essendon but just highlights why Essendon deserve what they are getting. 11 clubs used supplements, 1 used banned supplements, 11 clubs did not have 1 central point of control over their supplement program, 1 had no ******* idea.

This sort of puff piece article is why people are suspicious now of the reasons behind the release of players names.

I would say to you, do you KNOW what was put to the 10 EFC players by the Club on Saturday? That they might have been being alerted to and assured that their outing was imminent and would be handled and controlled in their best interests?

I say again, 99% of the inquisitive football public did not know these names of the drug taking players.

Is it better for their public image that they are named by a sympathetic outlet with accompanyung pieces supporting the players and garnering sympathy over a week or so

or

Is it better for the 99% to learn the players names when infractions are released with details of the drug taking.

In the stage managed, PR driven world of the AFL, and this saga, i favour the former scenario.

It could just be Robbo going rogue on EFC ala Danky though i guess:)
I don't discount your theory. It's entirely possible. Like I said, I do get where you're coming from.

You are wrong, this is exactly what essendon were found guilty of
You are wrong. The article said 12 clubs used supplements at various levels. Essendon didn't use supplements they used drugs. The article never said the other clubs had no accountability or Rogue Staff; it says they didn't have one person with whom the buck stopped. It also says record keeping was inadequate; meaning what. Wrong file type. No hard and soft copy or was the AFL policy on record keeping inadequate.

IT MEANS NOTHING LIKE THE DISGRACE AT ESSENDON WAS GOING ON.

SERIOUSLY; I AM HAPPY TO DEBATE THIS WITH YOU. BUT FIND A THREAD IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED (BY DISCUSSED I MEAN HIJACKED BY AN ESSENDON SUPPORTER) AND WE CAN DEBATEIT IN THERE.

ASADA has categorically stated that nobody from Essendon ever asked about AOD9604 BEFORE they started using it.

Yes and in theory it doesn't matter that ASADA told them incorrect information as WADA is the only authority that matters.

But I'm having a hard time believing that maximum punishment will be handed out by ASADA to the players for AOD9604. WADA's view is another matter and named banned substances or methods(I.V.>50ml) are a whole other kettle of fish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back