Essendon players could boycott NAB Challenge games if AFL doesn't backdate anti-doping bans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can understand. They're worried if they play it will make them ineligible for any backdates to go back to September. I'm thinking bans can only be backdated to the last game they played, hence they want that guarantee

That's my take anyway.
So they get 2 years but because they didn't play (because there was no games) for 6 months from Sept 2013-March 2014 and Sept 2014-March 2015, that's 12 months automatically taken off their penalty? then another 12 months off for the next 2 summer breaks as a 'good behaviour don't do it again' bond? wtf?? Or is that not what they're doing it and I've just had a bad dream?

Where the heck is WADA when you need them??

I don't see how this works. Is this like a jailbird boycotting parole?
As I understand it, athletes can voluntarily stand down pending the final ruling. In which case the period they have voluntarily disqualified themselves will count toward their period of suspension.

Athletes who have not been issued infraction notices would be required to play.

I think Robbo has worked himself into a froth and put a sensationalist spin on the whole thing as click bait (who'd a guessed that possible???).

As I understand it, athletes can voluntarily stand down pending the final ruling. In which case the period they have voluntarily disqualified themselves will count toward their period of suspension.

I think Robbo has worked himself into a froth and put a sensationalist spin on the whole thing as click bait (who'd a guessed that possible???).

Agree with this - Heard Robbo on SEN today and he worked himself into a froth - Seems to be the same whether he writes or talks.

Thanks for that, I was a little lost, personally, your summary seems to make sense of the situation.

I think we have it all wrong, just ask James Hird. James is quietly confident the investigation will be ruled illegal today, ASADA will need to restart their investigation, no cooperation from the players next time, Essendon continue to deny any wrongdoing, no players suspended until 2032 when all players (including fletcher) have retired. Essendon continue to claim their innocence and Hird gets a contract extension.

I think we have it all wrong, just ask James Hird. James is quietly confident the investigation will be ruled illegal today, ASADA will need to restart their investigation, no cooperation from the players next time, Essendon continue to deny any wrongdoing, no players suspended until 2032 when all players (including fletcher) have retired. Essendon continue to claim their innocence and Hird gets a contract extension.
Funny how James Hird isn't attending the courts today. Which I find extremely disrespectful especially towards the judges, as he wanted the hearing and result quick. Last thing he can do, is goto the court for 1hr to hear the verdict.

Maybe he doesn't want any cameras rolling in his face, when he doesn't get what he wanted? I wonder if Tania will be there taking notes.

How do the players think they are in a position to demand anything is the question that needs to be asked?
What type of advice are they getting? Martin Hardie's summer school?

Suspect Robbo sensationalizing it, players probably expressed their fears about playing and missing more games due to no back dating and asking is the risk worth it? if the decision be handed down around the same time of the nab challenge.

Ahhhhhh Slobbo. You've done it again .

No one cares what they'll do or who they wil sue next.

If true ,The arrogance of * is beyond belief

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the problem is. The players have probably been advised that if they play in the NAB challenge, and receive bans, any backdating is in jeopardy. Isnt it logical they would then say they dont want to play in the NAB challenge unless they can be assured it wont affect any backdated penalties?
You are right. They should be told that if they play the provisional suspension no longer applies - so no backdating beyond the NAB challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back