Opinion Essendon v North? Rivalry or one sided rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

North fans will always have a special place in my heart after they melted Kevin 'the cowardly sniper' Sheedy with marshmallows after they beat them in a final in 1998 (IIRC)

It's fizzed out now, bur there was a pretty spicy and intense rivalry between the two clubs back then, plenty of great classics.

Carlton v West Coast was another forgotten rivalry in the 90s, we played so many great games, especially from 92-96, such a shame we never played off in the grand final

Essendon couldn't care you say?

I reckon 90% of the chat around this rivalry now is started by Essendon fans pumping their chests out about how North isn't a rival (in a similar way to how you have started this thread really).

I barely see any North fans talking about the rivalry comparatively...

It's not a matter of not caring but rather the significance weighted to the caring.

You only need to read the corresponding match preview threads anytime prior to 2020 to get an indication of this.

Their match preview thread is not like any of their other 21 for the year, no resemblance whatsoever.

I genuinely wasn’t aware of any sort of rivalry between us and north, the only teams I consider to have a rivalry with are Collingwood, Carlton and Sydney.

I genuinely wasn’t aware of any sort of rivalry between us and north, the only teams I consider to have a rivalry with are Collingwood, Carlton and Sydney.

What about Richmond, that semi final in 1995 was one of the best/most memorable finals of that decade ?

It's not a matter of not caring but rather the significance weighted to the caring.

You only need to read the corresponding match preview threads anytime prior to 2020 to get an indication of this.

Their match preview thread is not like any of their other 21 for the year, no resemblance whatsoever.

Yeah I was mainly referring to the social media commentary I see now outside of the BigFooty bubble. I believe McGrath & Devon Smith recently addressed the rivalry publicly too.

Are there any examples of current North players speaking publicly about the rivalry? If they have, I missed it.

Yeah I was mainly referring to the social media commentary I see now outside of the BigFooty bubble. I believe McGrath & Devon Smith recently addressed the rivalry publicly too.

Are there any examples of current North players speaking publicly about the rivalry? If they have, I missed it.

I don't follow much of what's happening on social media regarding the AFL so I'll take your word for that.

I think there have been some North players talk about the rivalry during interviews leading into the game but wouldn't be able to give you any specific examples that I remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon doesn't have a rivalry with the Tasmanian team.
Maybe if we got a Dr surgery across the rd from Arden st hired a guru called weapon and have a dr call danks treat our players like lab rats and prey the AFL bring in an Father/Deformed child rule for future players from the gear pumped in the lab rats then in 10 years then both clubs could have something in common.

ziebull.

Maybe if we got a Dr surgery across the rd from Arden st hired a guru called weapon and have a dr call danks treat our players like lab rats and prey the AFL bring in an Father/Deformed child rule for future players from the gear pumped in the lab rats then in 10 years then both clubs could have something in common.
Nice one Kellie.

From outside looking in I've always seen the bombers traditional rivals being (in no order)

Collingwood
Carlton
The Essendon bowls club
Hawthorn
Richmond

Too many bigger fish to fry for North to register.

Pies v Blues is a rivalry, it has a long history

all the others are short term and die
This. Collingwood and Carlton haven't been contenders at the same time for the best part of 40 years but still consider each other their main rivalry and hate each other. I don't think any other Melbourne rivalry would survive that level of "irrelevance".

There's obviously a rivalry and the "we don't care about North" is part of the banter, but I think realistically it's not Essendon's strongest rivalry.
It's not like Bulldogs, St Kilda, Geelong and Melbourne for example where there is no rivalry at all. It's also not like Carlton and Hawthorn either. It's somewhere in between like Collingwood and Richmond. Essendon fans probably feel more strongly about Collingwood and Richmond because North don't have as many fans.
No. Growing up an Essendon fan from the late 70s I never knew of a rivalry. North were equivalent to Footscray or Melbourne. I even enjoyed it when they had an under-dog win against Carlton or Hawthorn. I joined BF in 2007 and suddenly there’s a bunch of North supporters on this site drumming up all this spiteful hatred that I never knew existed based on forgotten history from the dawn of time. In return Essendon fans on here, somewhat bemused, have responded by denigrating this concocted rivalry thereby inadvertently being drawn in to a rivalry that only exists in this shadow world of Big Footy. I’ve never taken aim at North the club, or its supporters. I have no will or need to. I only ever laugh at their moaning about us on their page, which, let’s face it, is quite amusing. There’s no history there that eats at me and I’m sure it’s the same for most Bomber supporters. Richmond and Collingwood are much more worthy rivals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back