Opinion Essendon v North? Rivalry or one sided rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn’t really been a rivalry for about 20+ years has it? There were Marshmallows in the late 90s, then in 99 North won a flag that Essendon thought was rightfully theirs but for a little slip-up against Carlton in a prelim. 2000 rolled around and there was a hugely hyped changing of the guard game that turned out to be a fizzer, then a qualifying final between the two that was an even bigger fizzer (125 points if anyone’s counting 🥴).

The best game of the lot was probably 2001 when the Dons rallied from 69 points behind to set the comeback record that still stands today.

Not sure anything since has quite lived up to any of that, although the 2014 elimination final was a highlight.

There was at my school between the fans. Sheedy and Watson started the whole marshmallow rumors to fire up their team, which while didn't work in that initial 1998 final, spurred them against North for the next 2 years after..Hird and Lloyd have both confirmed we were public enemy no 1. They saw Carey's side as a team with silver spoons in their mouths (amazing irony if you look at the clubs history) We were their grand final in those years as they saved their most devastating performances for us. And as people have said, Pagan didn't bother to change our style of game plan which was a terrible matchup against them. That 2001 comeback game was all the more crazy because we had almost half our best side out, including Carey. They won but it was the beginning of the end of that side, having barely beat a bottom 4 team and they lost games lot more often the rest of the year, quickly fell apart as Brisbane took over as the power side.

Crazy enough Sheedy never beat Laidley's roos a single time.

There was at my school between the fans. Sheedy and Watson started the whole marshmallow rumors to fire up their team, which while didn't work in that initial 1998 final, spurred them against North for the next 2 years after..Hird and Lloyd have both confirmed we were public enemy no 1. They saw Carey's side as a team with silver spoons in their mouths (amazing irony if you look at the clubs history) We were their grand final in those years as they saved their most devastating performances for us. And as people have said, Pagan didn't bother to change our style of game plan which was a terrible matchup against them. That 2001 comeback game was all the more crazy because we had almost half our best side out, including Carey. They won but it was the beginning of the end of that side, having barely beat a bottom 4 team and they lost a lot more often, quickly fell apart as Brisbane took over as the power side.

Crazy enough Sheedy never beat Laidley's roos a single time.
Yeah good summary 👍

You need dramatic finals matches or consistent dramatic home and away matches for a real rivalry. We have that with Carlton, Hawks, Pies. We don't have it with Kangas. There was something brief in the 90s but it didnt go anywhere. We have bigger rivalries with Swans, Dogs and Tiges. North kind of have the feel of a 3rd team in Sydney or Qld about them (or 1st team in Tassie...).

We beat you in a pretty dramatic final in 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats. You beat 18th with an interim coach of just 34 years old and no AFL coaching experience. You must be proud.
We had 34 players banned for doping and won more games than North look like winning this year.

How's that happen?

From outside looking in I've always seen the bombers traditional rivals being (in no order)

Collingwood
Carlton
The Essendon bowls club
Hawthorn
Richmond

Too many bigger fish to fry for North to register.
This.

Slight order change I'd go

Carlton

Daylight

Collingwood
Hawthorn (Traditional)
Sydney (Recent times)

Essendon Rivals
1 - Carlton
2 - Collingwood & Richmond
3 - Hawthorn

If the line in the sand game didn’t happen I wouldn’t even consider the Hawks to be rivals anymore

Not sure about that. Been some big moments since 2004.

ccb8240004b0db23f3d15ba23e5dbafd

7081880c379e4509e4cb183a1024c203

We have rivalries with Sydney and West Coast when it comes to interstate teams, and I'd rate North below them in terms of our rivalries.

Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond are obviously our main 4 rivals so that means we have six rivalries bigger than our rivalry with North.

I think the general Essendon supporter would consider the Victorian rivalries in order:

1. Carlton
2.Hawthorn
3. Collingwood
4. Richmond
5. North

Then the rest in no particular order;

I personally have North above Richmond because I can’t stand their perpetual woe is me attitude. The rest of the smaller clubs just get on with it whilst north supporters are just self-pitying wimps constantly reminding everyone how up against it they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back