Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

yep pretty much. spanish people can't speak english at all, and i reckon it's about 3%~5% of the population that can. compared to about 60%~75% of greeks who can, about 50% italians and around 80% french.

So is there some sort of correlation with those stats and whether they like Aussies or not?

Also I always hear about the large percentages of people that speak English, but it seems to only take into account major tourist cities and includes people that speak a few words.

So is there some sort of correlation with those stats and whether they like Aussies or not?

Also I always hear about the large percentages of people that speak English, but it seems to only take into account major tourist cities and includes people that speak a few words.
I mean people who can speak it competently or fluently. France and Greece have a very high percentage and only remote areas or elderly people don't speak English. Italy is OK but no where near as much penetration, whereas Spain is useless and Portugal isn't much better.

Germans, like the French, speak English very well.

May have already been posted:

Barcelona is the pick-pocket capital of the world. Be careful when leaving the train/bus station.
Absolutely! The best way to travel in Barcelona is definitely without a wallet. Do not have anything in your back pockets you will lose them.

For the guys: take ID, your bank card and cash and have it in your front pocket and wear something with deepish pockets, or pockets that can be zipped.
For the girls: get one of those imperceptible waist thingos and take the same as what guys should take.

You aren't safe anywhere in Barcelona, not on public transport, the beach, walking down the street, La Boqueria market etc. Make sure you practice safe travel in Barcelona especially.

Pretty much everywhere in France and just about everywhere I went in Europe. They love aussies, they want to travel to Australia, but usually can't afford to travel costs because its too remote for them.
Interesting.

In my experience I get a lot of eye-rolls when I say I'm Aussie. Of course if you travel a bit more remotely it's a bit more exotic to the locals.

But yeah I've gotten a lot of comments like "An Aussie in Europe, how original. You drunk?"

Mostly through the East they get a bit excited by Aussies, except for Budapest. Pretty sure that place is sick of us.

Interesting.

In my experience I get a lot of eye-rolls when I say I'm Aussie. Of course if you travel a bit more remotely it's a bit more exotic to the locals.

But yeah I've gotten a lot of comments like "An Aussie in Europe, how original. You drunk?"

Mostly through the East they get a bit excited by Aussies, except for Budapest. Pretty sure that place is sick of us.

lol hilarious :D In which countries have you heard comments like that?

Most Aussies don't do the rest of us any favours with their dickhead behaviour which is annoying, not nice to be generalised though.

lol hilarious :D In which countries have you heard comments like that?

Most Aussies don't do the rest of us any favours with their dickhead behaviour which is annoying, not nice to be generalised though.
Most general backpacker destinations.

Strangely enough I copped it in Belgrade, Serbia recently.

Indeed a lot of peanut Aussies running around not doing us any favours.

The only time being an Australian helped me was when I went to a VfB Stuttgart game and the person who was sitting next to me was a local who had spent 5 years in Adelaide 20 years earlier, so picked up my accent. Didn't pay for another beer that day and into the night after being introduced to the Ultras in the Cannstatter Kurve and getting invited back to their Pub.

But other than that being Australian your expected to be always drunk. Nothing wrong with being modest, not saying where your from for the sake of it and not drinking everyday

What are some good airlines that fly throughout Europe? I'm flying from Rome to Amsterdam.

What are some good airlines that fly throughout Europe? I'm flying from Rome to Amsterdam.
Depends on your version of good.

RyanAir is super cheap but comes under fire for safety and other dodgy reasons. Ive never had a problem with it.

EasyJet ans Vueling I use as well. If you're flying out of Rome Alitalia will be cheap but I ******* hate that airline. Lost my baggage about 3 times with them I reckon.

Haha yeah, Aussies are just as bad as the Yanks as far as cringey goes amongst backpackers, though imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used Easyjet last week to fly Luton-Corfu.

Airline is perfectly adequate: good record for punctuality, planes are clean, etc.

But:

* they'll encourage you to check in on line but you then line up to hand bags in. Utterly redundant.
* they have an app for boarding passes but at Luton they told us as non-EU citizens we had to have conventional,passes as well that had to be countersigned by Luton airport customer service prior to departure. This involved some stiff looking at us and signing his name on our pass. Urgh. Flying back to the UK, the app based boarding pass was accepted in Greece.

When at Luton Airport, go through security at the first opportunity. They are sticklers (hand frisked my three year old FFS) and the gates are a fifteen minute walk away. With easyjet this is followed by a bus ride to the plane itself. So you go from stacks of time to running for the final call very quickly.

And on an unrelated matter - the inability to take water bottles through security is frustrating.

I used Easyjet last week to fly Luton-Corfu.

Airline is perfectly adequate: good record for punctuality, planes are clean, etc.

But:

* they'll encourage you to check in on line but you then line up to hand bags in. Utterly redundant.
* they have an app for boarding passes but at Luton they told us as non-EU citizens we had to have conventional,passes as well that had to be countersigned by Luton airport customer service prior to departure. This involved some stiff looking at us and signing his name on our pass. Urgh. Flying back to the UK, the app based boarding pass was accepted in Greece.

When at Luton Airport, go through security at the first opportunity. They are sticklers (hand frisked my three year old FFS) and the gates are a fifteen minute walk away. With easyjet this is followed by a bus ride to the plane itself. So you go from stacks of time to running for the final call very quickly.

And on an unrelated matter - the inability to take water bottles through security is frustrating.
I caught an Easyjet flight from Liverpool to Berlin and despite booking in online a week before hand my wife and I still couldn't get seats next to each other. Wasn't really a big deal, but it was funny watching about 10 couples out of a total of 40-50 people having to sit apart from each other

Thanks for your advice everyone. I booked with Veulling airlines. Turns out their was only 3euro difference between Vuelling and Ryan Air. Ryan air you had to add $15 for luggage!

Thanks for your advice everyone. I booked with Veulling airlines. Turns out their was only 3euro difference between Vuelling and Ryan Air. Ryan air you had to add $15 for luggage!
Vueling have bugger all leg room, so get in early and get an exit row seat if you can, otherwise you'll be cramped if you're anything but a 5ft tall chinese fella.

If you want to know which airlines are flying between cities in Europe use harefares .com, It doesn't sell fares but does tell you which airlines including discounts airlines fly direct in Europe. You can also see and select any other airports nearby that might work out better for you.

So I've booked with Veuling airlines, but reading some of the reviews has got me a bit scared... Reports of people missing luggage etc. Has anyone flown these airlines should I stick with them?

My wife's uncle, who is from the south of France is coming he for the first time next month. He's really into the wild, nature and especially deserts. I live on the goldy ATM, and he's talking of doing a day trip to the desert. Showed him a picture of Europe mapped inside Australia... Hmmm he thinks.

So I've booked with Veuling airlines, but reading some of the reviews has got me a bit scared... Reports of people missing luggage etc. Has anyone flown these airlines should I stick with them?
Lol. Geez.

I flew with Vueling about 5 times whilst I was over in Europe. The last time, they lost my luggage somewhere between Athens and Dubrovnik. I reported it and did all that crap and then they said they will contact me within 48 hours letting me know if it's whereabouts. I wasn't too fussed because these things happen and I was about to embark on a Sail Croatia (hence all I need is a pair of shorts). A week passes and no contact. I try calling, can't ever get through. I try emailing, no reply. One email they replied in Spanish, even though I clearly speak English.

Anyway, I try contacting them through phone about 10 times over 10 days. I give up, purchase new backpack, new clothes, new everything. Fast forward two (TWO!) months, I'm back home having cut my trip a little short due to the extra expenses, and I get a phone call from Perth airport saying they have my backpack.

Fly with them at your own risk. They obviously have no customer service department, so if anything goes wrong, it's just a game of waiting.

Lol. Geez.

I flew with Vueling about 5 times whilst I was over in Europe. The last time, they lost my luggage somewhere between Athens and Dubrovnik. I reported it and did all that crap and then they said they will contact me within 48 hours letting me know if it's whereabouts. I wasn't too fussed because these things happen and I was about to embark on a Sail Croatia (hence all I need is a pair of shorts). A week passes and no contact. I try calling, can't ever get through. I try emailing, no reply. One email they replied in Spanish, even though I clearly speak English.

Anyway, I try contacting them through phone about 10 times over 10 days. I give up, purchase new backpack, new clothes, new everything. Fast forward two (TWO!) months, I'm back home having cut my trip a little short due to the extra expenses, and I get a phone call from Perth airport saying they have my backpack.

Fly with them at your own risk. They obviously have no customer service department, so if anything goes wrong, it's just a game of waiting.
Ah that sucks. I keep hearing reports like there, I mean seriously how hard is it for an airline to loose some ones luggage?
I guess this sort of situation can happen with any airline... Would anyone recommend any decent airlines to fly from rome to amsterdam. There aren't too many airlines that do.

WTF? Who is into deserts? Haha.

They're pretty cool. Whenever I fly over Australia I look down and think 'It would be really cool to be in that spot right now' Seriously there are some amazing looking places out in our deserts. Problem is getting there and back takes ******* ages and by the time you get there you'd prob rather neck yourself then have to go all the way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back