Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome! which one did you stay in? I booked the clink 261 hostel.
Clink 78 on a couple of seperate occasions, but the whole franchise is pretty awesome, very trendy and modern!! Not sure if 261 has a bar but if so they do pretty cool things everynight and most people just hang around there drinking

When travelling to the different countries, how often did you need to speak in the local languages and how ddi you cope?
Basics usually get you by. I tried to speak each of the local languages, but Spain was the hardest because of the different dialects. If you're in France, do try to speak French, even very basic French. The locals hate it if you don't try, especially the Parisians.

Basics usually get you by. I tried to speak each of the local languages, but Spain was the hardest because of the different dialects. If you're in France, do try to speak French, even very basic French. The locals hate it if you don't try, especially the Parisians.

Very basic French and Italian I would be good for. German fine, I can hold short and basic (albeit braindead-like) conversations with people in German. Anything else I'd need to check a translation app before opening my mouth.

I've been told that many Germans wouid want to use me as a practise dummy for their English, which is annoying because I wouldn't mind touching up on foreign language skills. Guess if that happens I'll just do my best to not sound Aussie, then I'll just wave my hands around a lot when I talk and say 'Non capisco amico'

Very basic French and Italian I would be good for. German fine, I can hold short and basic (albeit braindead-like) conversations with people in German. Anything else I'd need to check a translation app before opening my mouth.

I've been told that many Germans wouid want to use me as a practise dummy for their English, which is annoying because I wouldn't mind touching up on foreign language skills. Guess if that happens I'll just do my best to not sound Aussie, then I'll just wave my hands around a lot when I talk and say 'Non capisco amico'
haha yeah but if you try to say you speak spanish not english and they start speaking spanish... :p
Italian's are fine, a lot speak English, but in any case learn the language basics.

No matter what happens, you're going to sound like a 2 year old and some people will laugh at you. I got laughed at a few times by some very cute girls in Italy and France that I was trying to chat up, they loved it but said I sounded like a 2 year old. haha.

haha yeah but if you try to say you speak spanish not english and they start speaking spanish... :p
Italian's are fine, a lot speak English, but in any case learn the language basics.

No matter what happens, you're going to sound like a 2 year old and some people will laugh at you. I got laughed at a few times by some very cute girls in Italy and France that I was trying to chat up, they loved it but said I sounded like a 2 year old. haha.

any success with trying to chat up girls?

it was funny going to greece and i talked greek to me and most people answered in english. I felt like saying if i wanted to speak english i wpuld have stayed in Australia. Its amazing how 99% of greek youth are fluent in english

it was funny going to greece and i talked greek to me and most people answered in english. I felt like saying if i wanted to speak english i wpuld have stayed in Australia. Its amazing how 99% of greek youth are fluent in english
They all speak it except for the older ones and some of the younger ones. But just about everyone who runs a shop speaks english.

any success with trying to chat up girls?
Yeah it's not hard they love to flirt!

I live with two Greek guys here and I see a few of their friends from time to time and it is amazing how much their level of English is different. Two of them are mostly fluent whilst one of my flatmates is fairly good but makes basic errors that are a hangover from Greek (like telling me to close the light, etc).

Tottenham v Partizan Belgrade @ White Hart Lane
MK Dons v Colchester @ Stadium MK (don't ask - uncle a massive MK supporter after following Wimbledon growing up)
Tottenham v Everton @ White Hart Lane
Sheffield Utd v MK Dons @ Bramall Lane
Probably QPR v Burnley @ Loftus Road
Barcelona v Cordoba @ Camp Nou
Add West Ham v Swansea @ Upton Park to the list.

2 weeks to go!

Anyone suggest good day trips to go outside london?
Bath, Stonehenge, Liverpool, Cornwall come to mind. Might want to spend a bit longer in Liverpool and Cornwall if that floats your boat, but Bath and Stonehenge is a good day tripper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not entirely relevant and I know this will be very subjective, but I wanted to know what people thought.

You get the choice to live and work in France or Spain. Which one do you pick and why? This isn't limited to just the capital cities either. (Let's assume you can speak both Spanish and French at an understandable level)

Had the discussion with a friend and out of the more southern countries, these were the two we couldn't separate.

Last edited:
Not entirely relevant and I know this will be very subjective, but I wanted to know what people thought.

You get the choice to live and work in France or Spain. Which one do you pick and why? (Let's assume you can speak both Spanish and French at an understandable level)

Had the discussion with a friend and out of the more southern countries, these were the two we couldn't separate.
A lot of variables, I've spent time in Barca and Paris and if I had to choose a place to live Paris without a doubt.

You get the choice to live and work in France or Spain. Which one do you pick and why? This isn't limited to just the capital cities either. (Let's assume you can speak both Spanish and French at an understandable level)

Personally I would choose Spain. I've spent a heap of time there and I cant stop going back.

(I find) The people are lovely, the scenerey is beautiful, the language isn't too intimidating and the food is the best in Europe. Oh yeah the Spanish women aren't bad either.

I've just been on little adventures with no real agenda and stumbled across the most beautiful little coastal towns. Not to mention if you want to party, the Spaniards know how to do it (a road trip down the Costa Del Sol is worth doing).

Dirt cheap too as the economy is in the s**t, but hey, if you're working you get a siesta every day.

Having said all this I havent done much of France at all.

I stayed in Fulpmes in Austria which has access to a few different mountains. The hostel I stayed in was one of the best during a 7 month trip around Europe:

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...tain_Getaway-Fulpmes_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html

I can't recommend staying there highly enough, like staying at a mates place which a bunch of cool stuff to do.
Cheers for that. Plans might have changed though, we're looking at the Dolomites now.

Spain for me. Cheaper, more cheerful, better beaches, more hospitable, less pretentious.

Cheers for that. Plans might have changed though, we're looking at the Dolomites now.

Spain for me. Cheaper, more cheerful, better beaches, more hospitable, less pretentious.

Been to the Dolomites twice and absolutely recommend it!!!! Beautiful snow, beautiful scenery and hundreds of kilometres of terrain to ski/snowboard on the one ski pass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back