Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,
I'm planning a 4 week trip to Europe over Christmas in 2015. I've never been to Europe before. Was hoping to really get into the festive spirit and soak up all the Christmassy goodness and enjoy the snow. We were thinking of going to London, Paris, Rome, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

Any tips or recommendations? I've read that given the snow season, it's probably better to travel in between countries via train. Which countries are the best for a traditional white Christmas? Finland appears to be the official home of Santa Claus so that's also on the cards but I'm not sure how I could deal with the arctic weather!
In any season the train is better (IMO), but it really depends on from where you are traveling too and from. Air travel is faster, but there are more hassles and hidden costs attached. From London to Paris is cheaper by plane, but there are the extra costs of transfers to the airport outside the city (to travel by train to standstead airport is £20 then probably a similar amount when you reach Paris), whereas the train will deliver you into a more central point of the city where you can jump straight on a metro. Swings and roundabouts.

I'd personally go to winter places like Austria, Northern Italy or Northern Europe and not bother with London, Paris Rome etc - they are far better seen in the warmer seasons. I guess it depends on if/when you plan to return.

Get a low rate travel debit/credit card before you leave. Don't use currency exchange services, unless it's a small amount.

Cannot rate the Citibank Plus account with debit card highly enough.
My uncle the other night raved about this as well. No ATM fees or currency exchange fees from my understanding. Currently using a commonwealth travel money card which has been alright but I might have to get a Citibank debit card before I go to Europe.

If you had a week to spend in Croatia and a week in Greece, how would you use it? In Greece we are thinking Athens and Santorini but have no idea what to do in Croatia.
In Croatia I suggest you go to Plitvice Lakes for a day. Absolutely stunning.

Then you have Split and Dubrovnik on the mainland.

Then the islands which I think are an absolute must. You can do a 7 day sailing trip which would depart from either Dubrovnik or Split and visit the islands such as Mjlet, Korcula, Hvar, Makarska.

I want to be back there now. Amazing place.

If you had a week to spend in Croatia and a week in Greece, how would you use it? In Greece we are thinking Athens and Santorini but have no idea what to do in Croatia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't spend too long in Athens, a couple of days should do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Santorini is very over rated. Other than the one pic everyone has looking over the village and sea the place is boring and is filled with half built houses, donkeys and beggers.

It might be harder to get to but I would recommend Kefalonia out of all of the Greek islands. The beaches there are amazing and its not a very tourist place

Be careful of them bus tours...I done a Wonders Of Europe [ Cosmos] tour and you quite often arrive at a destination LATE in the evening...which gives you * all time to say G'day to the locals in a pub even.
If had my time again Id look at a 4 or 5 continent rail trip that suits your timeline.

Be careful of them bus tours...I done a Wonders Of Europe [ Cosmos] tour and you quite often arrive at a destination LATE in the evening...which gives you * all time to say G'day to the locals in a pub even.
If had my time again Id look at a 4 or 5 continent rail trip that suits your timeline.
That's one impressive train...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4-5 continents?

Very basic French and Italian I would be good for. German fine, I can hold short and basic (albeit braindead-like) conversations with people in German. Anything else I'd need to check a translation app before opening my mouth.

I've been told that many Germans wouid want to use me as a practise dummy for their English, which is annoying because I wouldn't mind touching up on foreign language skills. Guess if that happens I'll just do my best to not sound Aussie, then I'll just wave my hands around a lot when I talk and say 'Non capisco amico'

Most Germans speak better English than Australians

Hey all, doing Portugal > Spain > France > Italy > Croatia > Greek Islands in August.

Have worked out that we'll have about 6 days in Spain. Never been before, so apart from Barcelona where else should we be spending our time? Any other must see places or hidden gems? or should we spend the entire 6 days in Barcelona?

Hey all, doing Portugal > Spain > France > Italy > Croatia > Greek Islands in August.

Have worked out that we'll have about 6 days in Spain. Never been before, so apart from Barcelona where else should we be spending our time? Any other must see places or hidden gems? or should we spend the entire 6 days in Barcelona?
I could spend 6 days in Barcelona, but 4 would be enough. How about San Sebastian. It is a coastal (surf beaches) city and has the best pinxtos.

How annoying are the travel boasters.....I've done England, France, South America, Africa, blah, blah, blah.

I understand it but it's annoying. You never 'do' a country or location. You visit or are a guest/tourist/parasite. To do makes it sound like you've done it all in a location, which is impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back