Toast EVERY HEART BEATS TRUE

Remove this Banner Ad

I did enjoy the moment when he just packed it in, said right I’m going down now - gotta face it (or something like that). Was it just after the ANB goal? That was the moment when I unknotted my intestines and went into some kind of “my God we look like winning this”. The fact that the opposition coach gave it up with 15 plus minutes left in the game is a testament to how completely dominant Melbourne truly were in that second half.

Bevo's a weird unit with no neck, but he handled himself with class i thought.

Bevo's a weird unit with no neck, but he handled himself with class i thought.
Yep. It was hard on him that the camera angle emphasised his distinctive male-pattern-baldness that he is working hard to disguise with a contemporary version of the comb-over too.

I found his style a bit surprising throughout though, even when the Western TM were very much in control. He’s clearly very close with the group - that seems to be acknowledged widely - but his presentation doesn’t sound very upbeat.

Goody was the opposite. Did everything he could to keep the group fired up and fearless regardless of score line

Yep. It was hard on him that the camera angle emphasised his distinctive male-pattern-baldness that he is working hard to disguise with a contemporary version of the comb-over too.

I found his style a bit surprising throughout though, even when the Western TM were very much in control. He’s clearly very close with the group - that seems to be acknowledged widely - but his presentation doesn’t sound very upbeat.

Goody was the opposite. Did everything he could to keep the group fired up and fearless regardless of score line
Yeah it was interesting how 80% of the coaches speaking to the players was motivational rather than tactical. All the tactical things were little more than four word instructions. Beveridge seems like he likes to use mindfulness with his playing group wheras Goody is all positive reinforcement.

Yeah it was interesting how 80% of the coaches speaking to the players was motivational rather than tactical. All the tactical things were little more than four word instructions. Beveridge seems like he likes to use mindfulness with his playing group wheras Goody is all positive reinforcement.
I felt there was plenty of mindfulness from Goody too - 'resetting' after every goal/quarter, staying in the moment, but also very positive that the players should enjoy it.
Interesting focus on stats too and how that related to tactics; winning ground balls for us was a big thing re defence and uncontested marks early for the Dogs.

Yes. Distinct shortage of structural coaching from either on the day. Probably shows a bit that the Bigfooty fantasy of yelling at their coach for not having a plan b following every loss is actually stupid.

The only instructions I recall from Goody were the bit about keeping Dogga in the ruck while he was flying, something about getting it and booting it forward from the centre square, some warnings about the dogs starting to use the switch more (I noticed that too so felt very proud of my own latent coaching skills), something about the dogs ascendency in the ground ball gets (I noticed this too! Might have been after the commentary went on about it for fully five minutes) and something about the defensive structure in the first half which I forget the detail. Oh and how to deal with Caleb I think.

I don’t recall much game advice from Bevo at all? Other then attempting to persuade a slightly gloomy group that momentum can still swing back in the third quarter break - which is along the motivation lines rather than coaching

Yes. Distinct shortage of structural coaching from either on the day. Probably shows a bit that the Bigfooty fantasy of yelling at their coach for not having a plan b following every loss is actually stupid.

The only instructions I recall from Goody were the bit about keeping Dogga in the ruck while he was flying, something about getting it and booting it forward from the centre square, some warnings about the dogs starting to use the switch more (I noticed that too so felt very proud of my own latent coaching skills), something about the dogs ascendency in the ground ball gets (I noticed this too! Might have been after the commentary went on about it for fully five minutes) and something about the defensive structure in the first half which I forget the detail. Oh and how to deal with Caleb I think.

I don’t recall much game advice from Bevo at all? Other then attempting to persuade a slightly gloomy group that momentum can still swing back in the third quarter break - which is along the motivation lines rather than coaching

I love the 'get it and boot it forward' cause it instantly paid off with Nibbler and Sparrow at the start of the 4th, culminating in a Boner Brown goal

Was a fantastic doco, but that high camera angle of the top of Bevo's bald spot is still etched in my mind, he was pretty classy at the end though.

I felt there was plenty of mindfulness from Goody too - 'resetting' after every goal/quarter, staying in the moment, but also very positive that the players should enjoy it.
Interesting focus on stats too and how that related to tactics; winning ground balls for us was a big thing re defence and uncontested marks early for the Dogs.
Watching it, I don't think I ever want to see Goody in the coaches box again. The connection he has with the players is too powerful. As long as he can trust his assistants to convey the important info he can't see directly, his direct messaging to the players is way more useful.

Think he said a few times the defense was “too skinny” after winning possession- we needed to spread. Could be wrong, as I really need subtitles. You guys really should speak American down there.

Watching it, I don't think I ever want to see Goody in the coaches box again. The connection he has with the players is too powerful. As long as he can trust his assistants to convey the important info he can't see directly, his direct messaging to the players is way more useful.
I reckon there are probably pros and cons in either. Maybe with a rebuilding team it might be better from the box - get a good view of the structures and deficiencies that you need to work on. I do think that if you have some confidence that the team can maintain the structures they have trained for, and a strong group of leaders, you probably do more good offering encouragement from the bench.

Think he said a few times the defense was “too skinny” after winning possession- we needed to spread. Could be wrong, as I really need subtitles. You guys really should speak American down there.
It was something like that. I'm going to watch it again

I’m a little confused by this. How are coaches up in the box supposed to convey info to the players? He’s the guy at ground level??

I’m a little confused by this. How are coaches up in the box supposed to convey info to the players? He’s the guy at ground level??

Hes saying the coaches are conveying it to Goody who is passing it onto the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They sit there with this big old-school phone and talk to the blokes on the ground and get messages out that way.

The phone is also good for people like Rocket Eade and Nathan Buckley to bash around a bit when they lose it, which was pretty frequent at times

You hear Goody talking to the box in the second quarter when the s**t hit the fan asking if there were any patterns they could see where we were getting beaten.

You hear Goody talking to the box in the second quarter when the sh*t hit the fan asking if there were any patterns they could see where we were getting beaten.
I liked that.

I must say, he's looking less and less like the menacing bully projected by the Herald Sun of late

Choco reminds me of an old school baseball coach, leaning on the fence in the dugout chewing tabacco, just needs to spit on the ground and yell profanities at the umps and opposition more often.

They sit there with this big old-school phone and talk to the blokes on the ground and get messages out that way.

The phone is also good for people like Rocket Eade and Nathan Buckley to bash around a bit when they lose it, which was pretty frequent at times

zAhi9.gif

I think both coaches were a bit muted because the GF already brings out so much emotion in the players and staff - having the coach be a stoic central point for the team is crucial on the biggest day. Probably why we were able to overcome so many half time deficits throughout the year, Goody is trust the process etc personified.

I remember when we were 5 goals down at 3 quarter time in a GF and our coach was just like "it'll turn boys, it'll turn" and projected calm and confidence (even if he was shitting himself) and we did over-run them in the last. Was one of the best pieces of coaching I've ever experienced I think.

Both coaches were a little flat to me, miss the days of them picking a target player for no reason and blaming them for the whole teams performance just to fire em up
Goody calling the players piss weak after the loss to Port in 2020 probably his finest moment. :hearteyes:

If that's not the catalyst for a bloody premiership nothing is.

Could absolutely argue it was. Takes a lot to get Goody upset. I loved him for it. Glad the club showed it to the supporters also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back