Sport Everything Soccer

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only followed from afar in recent years but Italy has been naturalising largely shithouse players for a long time. I'm thinking here of Cameronesi and Iaquinta more than a kid who emigrated and grew up in Italy.

Black Italian players have been a thing for a while, Italy was probably the last big European country, as have guys with Arabic/North African names.

I reckon the Aussie with the Italian name wouldn't even be noticed these days.

It may be that Volpato doesn't have the clout to play for Australia until he is established. That doesn't mean he has to choose Italy, though.

I guess growing up in Australia he can probably read the tea leaves too...

Imagine he says yes and is built up to the 'Oz Messi' proportions by our once every 4 years football media, then he gets wheeled out to much fanfare in the cup and gets isolated in Arnold's putrid formation, gets starved of ball/opportunity and we get all tall poppy on him, it happens every time, oh big boots Cristian couldn't cut it...

It might just be this world cup is too soon? If he's being advised properly that could be the case.

Is the issue that it would be a potentially career limiting move committing to Australia before you’re an established starter? Players having to travel halfway across the world for WC qualifying against the Equatorial Philippines is usually frowned upon.

Edit: looks like this point has been made.

We're in the Asian confederacy now so we don't really play bullshit games any more. That was why we moved from Oceania, it's also easier to qualify because the standard of Asian soccer is still bad enough that this Australia can qualify or still place (rather than risking running into Uruguay or another good South American country every time).

Having said that the scheduling is usually done so that Europe has a break during qualifiers.

Missing some games is unavoidable. You'd need to go back and look at when we had the chance to call him up (it was suggested after he scored against Verona last season). If there was a break it was a pretty big stuff up.

He may still have refused the call. I get that. It's ridiculously competitive. One injury can ruin careers for guys like him with no pedigree. It also take balls to defy Mourinho if he suggests not going.

But I have first hand experience with the contempt that the Australia system has for guys who can play (definitely not me but someone I know). Sometimes I wonder whether these hacks like Arnold and the coaching set ups in the country resent players who can control the ball, dribble, pass it and shoot.

Last edited:
We're in the Asian confederacy now so we don't really play bullshit games any more. That was why we moved from Oceania, it's also easier to qualify because the standard of Asian soccer is still bad enough that this Australia can qualify or still place (rather than risking running into Uruguay or another good South American country every time).

Having said that the scheduling is usually done so that Europe has a break during qualifiers.

Missing some games is unavoidable. You'd need to go back and look at when we had the chance to call him up (it was suggested after he scored against Verona last season). If there was a break it was a pretty big stuff up.

He may still have refused the call. I get that. It's ridiculously competitive. One injury can ruin careers for guys like him with no pedigree. It also take balls to defy Mourinho if he suggests not going.

But I have first hand experience with the contempt that the Australia system has for guys who can play (definitely not me but someone I know). Sometimes I wonder whether these hacks like Arnold and the coaching set ups in the country resent players who can control the ball, dribble, pass it and shoot.

There's probably even the greater thing of the Australian psyche, nobody likes a show pony, nobody wants a guy doing tekkers , beating a few men then shooting to row z. We like our sportspeople humble, workmanlike, knowing their limitations, playing team first football. Find a precocious young talent, the system (Arnold and co) will eventually grind them down til they fit the system. In that sense, the best thing for them is to go to Europe where their particular flair is cherished and nurtured, not frowned upon.

You only need to see what Arnold did to the olyroos...

Volpato is gone. We've well and truly screwed the pooch there, mostly because of Sydney FC (whilst Arnold was the head coach).

Going to be an interesting squad. I'm thinking:

Mat Ryan
Trent Sainsbury - Harry Souttar - Milos Degenek
Fran Karacic - Aaron Mooy - Jackson Irvine - Aziz Behich
Ajdin Hrustic - Tommy Roglic - Martin Boyle
--------------------
Jason Cummings - Jamie Maclaren - Guong Kuol
Joel King - Denis Genreau - Connor Metcalfe - Nathaniel Atkinson
Bailey Wright - Kye Rowles - Gianni Stensness
Andrew Redmayne

Mitchell Langerak

Volpato is gone. We've well and truly screwed the pooch there, mostly because of Sydney FC (whilst Arnold was the head coach).

Going to be an interesting squad. I'm thinking:

Mat Ryan
Trent Sainsbury - Harry Souttar - Milos Degenek
Fran Karacic - Aaron Mooy - Jackson Irvine - Aziz Behich
Ajdin Hrustic - Tommy Roglic - Martin Boyle
--------------------
Jason Cummings - Jamie Maclaren - Guong Kuol
Joel King - Denis Genreau - Connor Metcalfe - Nathaniel Atkinson
Bailey Wright - Kye Rowles - Gianni Stensness
Andrew Redmayne

Mitchell Langerak

A few big doubts there, rogic isn't playing much or dosent seem at all engaged, Hrustic and Boyle injury concerns, big harry only just back from a knee

Speaking about the selection of the 26-man squad, Arnold said he gave Volpato until 11pm on Monday night but the teenager had turned Australia down.

“It’s not my decision,” Arnold said.

“I spoke to Cristian yesterday three times. Before that I spoke to him on numerous occasions. I pretty much told him yesterday that he was in the 26-man squad.

“He wanted to go away and think about it. Wanted to speak to the people around him that help guide his career and he came back last night and declined the offer to come and play for Australia at the World Cup.

“That’s his decision at the end of the day. I’d rather look at the young boys we’ve got in and the young Australian boys who will come into the camp.

Ergo, we begged , we pleaded but Totti is his master.

Christian Vieri mk2

No Langerak or Strain 🤔

Langerak one is odd - wins player of the year or whatever in japan, Arnie pretty much begs him to come out of retirement, plays him for zero minutes v NZ then doesn't pick him here.

I have a fear Arnie is going to go to the well twice and bring the wiggle on for another penalty show if it should happen...that lightning wont strike twice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok i promise im not going to whinge all month - but ill have one more..

seeing those fake rent a crowd fans dressed as portugal, argentina, england ect - faces painted, chanting, walking down the street did it for me.. its like the worst sports version or paid actor false flag possible - i mean england and argentina marching side by side without a stabbing? obviously not method actors this lot, didnt even research the falklands...

it got me to thinking, this one has just gone too far, i mean normally in life you can learn to suspend disbelief to enjoy something - you know theres something going on behind the curtain but you dont wanna ruin it by looking back there so you just go along with it - its probably key to enjoying anything FIFA or UEFA or the Olympics is involved with - even the AFL..

But this is beyond that - a big fake crooked event, played in the wrong time, in the desert, with fake fans, in fake stadiums.. with no beer in the stands, with questionable human rights behavior as a back drop. This is like the moment you find out santa isnt real and xmas is ruined. Im sure when the games start ill watch them but the world cup buzz is missing, just feels contrived - i dread to think whatever they have up their sleeve to create more fake atmosphere

So then, the group left wide open with a Denmark Tunisia draw...

Interesting line up too, Goodwin in place of Boyle, mcgree inplace of Hrustic, Rowles has degeneks spot, Atkinson in for karacic. I don't hate it but I don't like duke upfront, although I know why he's there... I'll be hanging for Hrustic kuol mabil McLaren and co to get on at some point

So then, the group left wide open with a Denmark Tunisia draw...

Interesting line up too, Goodwin in place of Boyle, mcgree inplace of Hrustic, Rowles has degeneks spot, Atkinson in for karacic. I don't hate it but I don't like duke upfront, although I know why he's there... I'll be hanging for Hrustic kuol mabil McLaren and co to get on at some point
Keeping our powder dry for games we're a chance in? 4-1-4-1 is a stupid formation honestly.

First World Cup win since 2010.
If France beat Denmark (likely) or draw, we'll go through to the group of 16. 😁
Need the Danes to lose or draw against France. Then we need to at least draw against the Danes. Then we might get the Saudi’s in the round of 16.

Anyone know how quickly replays are going up on SBS app?

Socceroos will finish around 4 this morning….hoping I can sleep till 5:30 and watch replay.

Anyone know how quickly replays are going up on SBS app?

Socceroos will finish around 4 this morning….hoping I can sleep till 5:30 and watch replay.
Not sure.

I’ll be setting the alarm for 3:30. I’ll check the score and if we’re in it I’ll watch the last 30 minutes. If not, I’ll get my 8 hours 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back