Ex-player Gary Walpole

Remove this Banner Ad

ivan rassmussen

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apologies if I have any facts wrong, or I've confused two people, hopefully I don't offend anyone on here who is friend or family. I was just trying to find info on an ex-player (as I randomly do) from the early 80s, Gary Walpole, originally from Fish Creek. He wore #42, and kicked the winning goal in his first game against Melb in 82. A close mate who is a Melb supporter and I have talked about the final minutes of that game for years - we used to go together to our games twice every year for about 10 years. Anyway, someone else told me that Gary had died at the age of 49 in SA in 2003, and there's certainly reports on the Net about someone of that name. Does anyone know if that is the same Gary Walpole that played for Footscray?

Gary's very much alive mate, lives on the Gold Coast. I know his daughter through a mate.

Thanks for that, good to hear. Bizarrely, the other Gary Walpole that passed away seems to have been born at almost the same time as our ex-player!

If you get a chance, pass onto him that quite a few people still remember him - mainly from that goal!

Gary played for Werribee for a few years. Then played in Hoppers Crossings first senior premiership in the FDFL Div 2 under former tough Footscray backman Gordon Casey in 1992. And I don't know much more except he is alive and played footy on the Goldie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back