Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
18a.jpg

Where: Etihad Stadium, Sunday 2/8/15
Time: 3.20pm AEST

Form Guide

18b4.jpg

The 14th placed Bombers tale on the 6th placed Western Bulldogs at Etihad in a twilight game. The Dogs come into the game with an 18 pt victory over the Pies last weekend while the Dons showed some promise in a loss to Port. Recent history however has the Dons with the advantage and last time these teams met, Jake Carlisle had a field day taking 12 marks and kicking 8 goals.

Last time they met:

WESTERN BULLDOGS 3.3 8.6 12.8 14.10 (94)
ESSENDON 4.2 7.5 10.7 15.11 (101)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs:
Stringer 5, Dahlhaus 2, Bontempelli 2, Hrovat, Macrae, Boyd, Redpath, Crameri
Essendon: Carlisle 8, Ryder 2, Ambrose, Colyer, Chapman, Dell'Olio, Winderlich

BEST
Western Bulldogs:
Stringer, Macrae, Boyd, Wallis, Minson, Bontempelli, Murphy
Essendon: Carlisle, Hooker, Heppell, Ryder, Chapman, Hurley, Myers

Essendon came from behind to steal a thrilling seven-point win over the Dogs at Etihad with Carlisle continuing his remarkable form spike to kick a career-best 8 goals. After falling 20 points down early in the final term, the Bombers lifted to run down their opponents, booting five of the last six goals to win.

Team selections:

R18teams.jpg

Western Bulldogs

Strengths:

Last weekend against the Pies the Dogs dominated with 60 inside 50's and 18 marks inside 50 with an overall disposal count of nearly 100 more than the Pies for the game. A handy display in front of goals from Dickson kicking 4 was a handy contribution to the Dogs who held out a fast finishing Pies unit by 18 points. The Dogs focus on a high possession game forcing many inside 50's and at one stage in the 3rd quarter dominated the count by a massive 78% for the quarter. If the dogs continue to generate as many inside 50's on Sunday the Dons defense will feel the pressure. The Dogs have are ranked fourth in averaging 54.1 entries a game while the Dons are ranked 14th at 48.7 per game.

Weaknesses:

While the Dogs inside 50 is ranked high in the league, conversion isnt the greatest. With an overall count of 60 against the Pies 47 the margin should have been bigger than 18 points. Also turnover pressure from the Pies last week forced goals at crucial times against the run of play keeping them in the game. With a very young side (a total of 1603 games experience last weekend) the Dogs rely on the old legs of Boyd, Murphy and Morris to settle the young pups down. Overall disposal efficiency of the Dogs can be poor at times putting team mates under pressure with poor kicking and hand passing.

Matchups

Hurley v Crameri.jpg

Hurley v Crameri

The last time Hurley and Crameri played against each other Hurley had a standout game keeping Crameri to a single goal and minimal influence. Hurley plays a vital part of Essendon's defensive unit and again may look to go to Crameri to keep any influence minimal. Stu Crameri is going to need to follow up on a good show against the Pies last week continuing his improved form. On the flip side Hurley may also find himself playing on Stringer who last time these game played Stinger kicked 5 goals for the game. Expect both Stringer and Crameri to be a handful for the Bomber defense.

Heppell v Picken.jpg

Heppell v Picken

Important to the Dons ball movement Heppell has struggled with lack of support this season. The Dogs will need to hard tag Heppell and nullify his game impact cutting off supply and fw50 entries. Picken is having a stellar season in 2015 and last week was prominent in the Dogs midfield against the Pies.

Match Summary

Bevo's first season could to lead to a finals appearance after the Dogs defeated the Pies last weekend and a win against the Dons would further stregnthen the Dogs inside the 8. The Dons have played more younger players over the last few weeks to give them experience to which has been working well. The Dogs ability to run out games so far has been up and down at times but the team has settled as the year has progressed finding the mental fortitude to stave off the opposition at crucial times when playing in front.

Who will win and why ?:

It would be reasonable to predict the Dogs to win over the Dons based on the raw stats and numbers that the Dogs bring to the game. One of the top ranked inside 50 teams of the competition and quickest ball movers the Dogs cannot afford to be complacent. The Dons will come out hard and give it everything with nothing to lose. Expect a fiery contest at times however we tip the Dogs to win by a margin of 26 points.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of what qualities Gwilt has that suit taking on Stringer. Apart from being a listed footballer I can't think of any others.

What about Roughy??
Yep, was out on the track. Maybe not going 100%, and didn't participate in ALL drills, but certainly seemed ok. Maybe still a line ball but I reckon he'll be right for Sunday going off what I saw.

James Hird to state how hard it is to win with a young, inexperienced team, before younger, more inexperienced team filled with a greater number of inexperienced players beats James Hird's team.

hope its ok to intrude, this will be my only post:

I think this will be 50/50 contest for a good portion. I do expect the Doggies to come out on top though, you guys know how to win.

in a week filled with garbage media sensationalism, I'm looking forward to Sunday and having a few beers at the game with my Bulldog supporting mates.

may the best team win!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doggies,

Our season is well beyond shot. Your win last week was very pleasing to me. I think you'll beat us comfortably and I'm hoping you do well in the finals.

Peace.

The bombers played better last week because they threw off the shackles and played attacking footy. This is exactly the style of footy we enjoy playing against IMO. Geelong, st kilda (2nd game), Carlton and melbourne all just jumped on the ball and crowded the contest. We struggled in all of those games.

Collingwood rolled the dice last week and got burnt. If Essendon do the same (and you'd hope they would at this point in the season), I'm very confident of a win.

man my nerves for this game are rivalling that of the saints game earlier in the year.....i dont like this feeling!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back