Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think that's the way forward, tbh.

No tests in January - BBL starts on Boxing Day, and once that test is over, they all head to their BBL teams. BBL goes solid all through January, and then if there are any more tests to play, they can resume in February. If it means we play a five-test Ashes series starting in early to mid-November, so be it. That's when the tests used to start anyway.
If cricket Aus go this route they’d have to have double headers every day or at least most days.

Even do triple headers on weekends. Have back to back games on the same ground.

Rather than no cricket during the day for the whole of January. Outside of the odd double header they do on a Saturday.

Not going to take credit for this. Was patently obvious before hand and the competition is rendered a joke by virtue of teams filled with grade cricketers contesting the finals.
Why make any deal of the Draft when there are next to 0 big names in the final.
Silly decision to bat first
They were always going to be deers in the headlights chasing if the Sixers made anything over 140

If anyone was a betting person, Id tip the Heat to go out in straight sets. Their team is a pale imitation of what it was with Munro and Billings.
Another Scorchers - Sixers final?

I copped stick for questioning the crowds and how marvellous the crowds have been this year, but the Heat - Sixers game was announced as a sell out.
The crowd was given as 20191 and it has a capacity of 21000 but every single time they panned round there were empty seats and not just a handful.
So clearly the numbers are rubbery.

Lol it was packed to the rafters. Short of selling tickets directly behind the bowler's arm, and forbidding people from getting up to take a piss and/or buy piss, this is as full as any cricket stadium will ever get:

hbs1.jpg

I copped stick for questioning the crowds and how marvellous the crowds have been this year, but the Heat - Sixers game was announced as a sell out.
The crowd was given as 20191 and it has a capacity of 21000 but every single time they panned round there were empty seats and not just a handful.
Come on mate.

They're not going to announce it's a sell out if it's not.
There would be no point in that.

Despite TV ratings and crowds increased this year, you just can't seem to admit
you got it wrong.

Expect another 30 000 crowd tonight.

There will be a large group of people that buy tickets and just sit at the pub all game

There will be a large group of people that buy tickets and just sit at the pub all game
Yeah, but the comment isn’t even true.
The crowd was clearly jam packed. The empty seats everywhere statement is a plain lie, in an attempt to slander the BBL.

They do need to do something about that, it devalues the tournament when players leave before the finals, and sends the message that other tournaments are more important.

I get it and its not ideal but I think people overplay it. In most cases (not all), it seems the people most upset are those that want the BBL to fail.

For half the teams it doesn't matter as they didn’t make finals. For the four finals teams it matters but I don't think it effects interest and clearly doesn't effect the crowds.

Everyone I speak to in Adelaide is more upset about the short mid week test match than they are about no Hose, Lynn or Overton tonight.

I get it and its not ideal but I think people overplay it. In most cases (not all), it seems the people most upset are those that want the BBL to fail.

For half the teams it doesn't matter as they didn’t make finals. For the four finals teams it matters but I don't think it effects interest and clearly doesn't effect the crowds.

Perhaps but it does reinforce those people's argument that it is a second rate competition.

Attendances and ratings are suggesting that the league is doing fine, but something really needs to be done about losing players to other leagues in the midst of finals. You want the best players playing at the pointy end of the season but too often second string teams are being put out.

There will always be people not taking it seriously until that is fixed whether that is selling franchises to the IPL, rejiggjng the summer schedule so it doesn't clash with other leagues or just offer more cash.

There will always be people not taking it seriously until that is fixed whether that is selling franchises to the IPL, rejiggjng the summer schedule so it doesn't clash with other leagues or just offer more cash.
CA doesn't need to sell to the IPL. Yes, the IPL franchise owners will have some of the biggest pockets. But there are plenty of Millionaires and Billionaires, and company owners in Australia and other parts of the world that can still purchases these teams.

I would not mind seeing the teams owned by LinFox or NewsCorp or Rio Tinto. And there are probably some other companies out there that could join the competition as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh are the Shield and Marsh cup already won this year? I though the BBL was won as well but it seems otherwise :think:
It was on the big screen, so it must be true :p

But no, nothing's won yet, I was hopeful for the triple treble, and we looked good in the BBL early, but that's gone now. Time to knuckle down and win the other two, which we are in a good position for. Just making hay while the sun shines, WA's golden run won't last forever.

So is the BBL still falling?

Seems to have gathered more interest and crowds this year.
10 games a team season with only top four making finals has rejuvenated it massively. Not necessarily the fairest H&A fixturing but it's better than each time twice (way too much) and unfortunately I feel 8 games (each team once) is too short.

I actually think that's the way forward, tbh.

No tests in January - BBL starts on Boxing Day, and once that test is over, they all head to their BBL teams. BBL goes solid all through January, and then if there are any more tests to play, they can resume in February. If it means we play a five-test Ashes series starting in early to mid-November, so be it. That's when the tests used to start anyway.
Reckon this is the way to go too, BBL becomes what ODI cricket in January used to be with the tri-series', remember end of school holidays was the ODIs and had a bit of a carnival atmosphere to it all, probs the best way forward for the BBL.

Return of the Canberra Comets?

Cricket ACT want Canberra based BBL and WBBL teams.

Would be awkward as there would be an odd number of sides.

2nd Perth side to even it up
No need to even up the number of sides. Nine teams means eight games - four home and four away. Does away with a lot of the fixturing issues we currently have with teams playing three teams twice. And, if my maths is correct. it's the same number of regular season games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back