Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked Blackwell, but lack of pace and depth on his kicking did his chances in. Had we been stronger, we may have persisted with him. However, our list needed turnover and he missed out.

:cry: Luke then won the Sandover, so obviously has talent. His dad was a favourite of mine.

Had injuries when Ratten took over as coach. But when we delisted him to make room for an absolute blunder like Chris Johnson, you gotta wonder.

:cry: Luke then won the Sandover, so obviously has talent. His dad was a favourite of mine.

Had injuries when Ratten took over as coach. But when we delisted him to make room for an absolute blunder like Chris Johnson, you gotta wonder.
Sandover, Simpson medal in a state game, 3x b&f winner, premiership player and named in claremonts best team ever. Not a bad resume

Has moved back to melbourne and the northern blues could do worse then to give him a call and see if he is interested in having a kick. Still only 28

I think we stuffed up with Blackwell, we didn't have many who could play and he was decent. Not saying he would have been a gun in the AFL but he would have been more serviceable than many who we had running around in those days.
You would think that if Blackwell had what it takes to have a long career at AFL level either one of the Eagles or Dockers would have pounced on him when he was continually dominating at WAFL level, right under their noses & if not them, one of the teams with a high success rate at developing players e.g. Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney.

Regardless of how ordinary our playing list was during Blackwell's time at the club, I think it should be accepted that Blackwell just wasn't up to AFL standard.

No, I disagree. :p Blackwell was certainly good enough to play 23 games before his 21st birthday, then suffered injury during Ratten's first full year.

Short, slow and lack of kicking depth were the main issues - but hey, so were Diesel's.

I would certainly have kept Luke for another year over the likes of Johnson and Bentley.

The father-son thing is overdone.
Just because a father was a champion does not mean the son will be.
Vice-versa. Some sons turn in champions and their father basically just ok at this level of footy.

I don't think Jonathon Brown's dad was anything like a champion but his son sure was.

Nathan Ablett anyone? Son of GOD but handy at best at AFL level. The other son a champ.
Not every father-son line is going to be a Gary Ablett snr and jnr or Serg Silvagni and Steve or Tim Watson and Jobe.
Probably most are more likely to be Graeme Whitnall and Lance Whitnall or Robert Walls and David Walls or John James and Michael James.

Having said that, lets go SOS version two :) and keep up the good work SOJ

The father-son thing is overdone.
Just because a father was a champion does not mean the son will be.
Vice-versa. Some sons turn in champions and their father basically just ok at this level of footy.

I don't think Jonathon Brown's dad was anything like a champion but his son sure was.

Nathan Ablett anyone? Son of GOD but handy at best at AFL level. The other son a champ.
Not every father-son line is going to be a Gary Ablett snr and jnr or Serg Silvagni and Steve or Tim Watson and Jobe.
Probably most are more likely to be Graeme Whitnall and Lance Whitnall or Robert Walls and David Walls or John James and Michael James.

Having said that, lets go SOS version two :) and keep up the good work SOJ

Yeah this is true.

But surely we can follow them as juniors through ppl in the know on this thread. If they make the grade we get a famous name, but more importantly a bargain in the draft.

Especially having 3 in one year. Hopefully they all come on leaps and bounds and are all second rounders then we get to keep our first pick and use the rest on 3 kids in the top 20-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this is true.

But surely we can follow them as juniors through ppl in the know on this thread. If they make the grade we get a famous name, but more importantly a bargain in the draft.

Especially having 3 in one year. Hopefully they all come on leaps and bounds and are all second rounders then we get to keep our first pick and use the rest on 3 kids in the top 20-30.

Yep. Fine with that. My point of posting was simply people (us fans of clubs) be a bit more realistic and not expect so many father-son links to lead to a player in future being a gun at AFL level because his dad was a wonderful player. It is quite rare to be honest. I hope people simply enjoy the rare times two generations of family have a link at same club and both have long successful careers. Most of the time, even a son getting to AFL level is quite an achievement.

Jack Silvagni hasn't done a knee and has started with Oakleigh Chargers. He's still growing, putting on weight etc. Expect to see him playing half back next year. Word is he and Bailey have already been down to the club multiple times and been looked at.

I had the pleasure of watching some of Jacks games and believe me, very very talented footballer. If he works on those slight deficiencies he will slot in perfectly for us.

Ps starting pre-season a little late. Has been sick apparently
Does Jack look like he could continue to grow both in height and size and fill a key position post like his father? or does you think he will be more of a flanker if he were to be drafted?

Also do you have any info on how Ben Silvagni is progressing, as i heard he is the most talented of the 3

Does Jack look like he could continue to grow both in height and size and fill a key position post like his father? or does you think he will be more of a flanker if he were to be drafted?

i know the question wasn't directed to me but i've seen jack standing next to his father last year and he was already about the same height back then..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Silvagni hasn't done a knee and has started with Oakleigh Chargers. He's still growing, putting on weight etc. Expect to see him playing half back next year. Word is he and Bailey have already been down to the club multiple times and been looked at.

I had the pleasure of watching some of Jacks games and believe me, very very talented footballer. If he works on those slight deficiencies he will slot in perfectly for us.

Ps starting pre-season a little late. Has been sick apparently

No worries, Jack, thanks for filling us in on how you've been travelling.

I am really looking forward to the next 2 years drafts... we have, as people have noted, had some lean pickings over the last 15 or so years in the father/son stakes. Hopefully next year, we get all 3 of them.

I am not to concerned about Jakes' lack of height... it hasnt hurt DylBucks any (and I think that Dylan has had a bit of a growth spurt this year and might have made it to his dads height). If he fills a need at the club, then we will take him. If he doesnt or doesnt measure up next year, we wont.

Roll on the national draft 2014 :D

Can I just take a moment to pay tribute to Mrs Silvagni? I mean what an absolute trooper - producing not just one, but three potential F/S prospects!
I know it's the Silvagni genes we're mainly interested in as football fans, but as we know, Jo's got a pretty decent collection of genes herself and besides, she's always kept her ties with Carlton.

If her boys all make it as AFL players and wear the Navy Blue as we would expect, I'd say definite grounds for life membership and club hall of fame for Jo Silvagni! :thumbsu:

Going by instagram, I think Walker and his wife are expecting again. Congrats. A third boy would be alright ;)

Going by instagram, I think Walker and his wife are expecting again. Congrats. A third boy would be alright ;)
He has the cutest kid, seriously. All the CFC babies are absolute buddhas too, Tuohy's kid is adorable.

It'll be annoying seeing three potential F/S picks in Robinson/Betts/Garlett grow up wearing different colours but hopefully in 18 years our system is good enough to not have to rely on F/S picks :p

He has the cutest kid, seriously. All the CFC babies are absolute buddhas too, Tuohy's kid is adorable.

It'll be annoying seeing three potential F/S picks in Robinson/Betts/Garlett grow up wearing different colours but hopefully in 18 years our system is good enough to not have to rely on F/S picks :p
Jeffy has been posting some adorable pictures of his boy lately. Looks really happy :)

Given the talk of the league having a look at how do administer Father-Sons in the future, it could well become more of an impost on a club than a benefit.

The free hit has been watered down somewhat already and any further squeeze could potentially get clubs feeling obligated to taking a player before where they actually rated him.

I don't care for the romance of a father-son. Would sooner just have the best player available.

Given the talk of the league having a look at how do administer Father-Sons in the future, it could well become more of an impost on a club than a benefit.

The free hit has been watered down somewhat already and any further squeeze could potentially get clubs feeling obligated to taking a player before where they actually rated him.

I don't care for the romance of a father-son. Would sooner just have the best player available.
Nuh I love the father son rule but saw it mentioned somewhere that maybe the bidding should be done just before the draft and not hold clubs back from trading.

Well, of course you're not going to take a F/S purely for the "romance" of it. He has to be worth drafting.
It's where the son concerned is really good - a player you would want to draft anyway - that it becomes useful, allowing you to place "dibs" on the player and maybe get him for a lower pick that you otherwise would.

I hear you BIGGUS 64 and I may have used a similar example previously:
(Bear in mind that the league is looking at changing the formula for F/S bidding also)

i.e.
North committed to McDonald early the year prior.
North did not know where they would finish but given that McDonald Snr. works at the club, there is implied heat on.
The league have somehow in their wisdom rated McDonald #3, which I'm not sure how it would work but now North needs to cough up something extra for McDonald as well as missing out on Bontempelli, who they rated a lot higher.

There may be no changes to the way things are conducted but if the league bring in this new ruling (adjudication of a players value) things could get very messy.

I'm guessing potential F/S picks may just come down with groin or hamstring issues leading up to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back