Analysis Father/Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was Dav1d that suggested there's a bit to worry about with McKenzie, mentally speaking.

Certainly looks like he has all the tools and he's putting scores on the board, but I'm not convinced he'll transition to AFL footy all that well. Who knows. He'll probably go elsewhere, play alongside Roughead/Hawkins for half a decade and look a million bucks. :cool:

Good to see Foster posting some consistent performances. He could provide much needed young key position depth. Am I correct in thinking he's around the 194cm mark?

Good to see Foster posting some consistent performances. He could provide much needed young key position depth. Am I correct in thinking he's around the 194cm mark?

Yep saw he was listed as 194cm and 87kgs last year so might be even a little bigger this year.

If we can pick up Foster as a Rookie and have him at FF for Footscray for a year we may have our future FF.

Surely if Foster is the leading goalkicker, he'll go well before a rookie pick?

Why are some saying say McKenzie could go even as a top 12 pick, yet expect Foster to be available as a rookie? Surely Foster would go in the second or third round?

Surely if Foster is the leading goalkicker, he'll go well before a rookie pick?

Why are some saying say McKenzie could go even as a top 12 pick, yet expect Foster to be available as a rookie? Surely Foster would go in the second or third round?
Correct. Thinking he'll get through to the rookie draft is dreaming. Also if we want to f/s him then we have to take him in the National Draft. We can't see if nobody else bids and then say, oh we'll take him as a rookie thanks. If no one bids we have to use our final ND pick on him. I'd be very happy if we got him with a third round pick.
I'm guessing Luke Kennedy & Josh Wallis are longer in consideration?
Luke Kennedy is also a 19yo (was eligible to be drafted last year) and I heard he was going OK but unlikely we'd nominate him as a f/s. Outside chance to be rookied.
Last I heard about Josh Wallis was that he wasn't sure if he really wanted an AFL career. Can anyone confirm? He wasn't playing for Calder Cannons on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is the rule. I had it slightly wrong.
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players
FATHER-SON – ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

The Father-Son Rule previously applied to players selected at the National Draft. Under the rule, other AFL clubs can bid for eligible players who have been nominated under the Father-Son Rule by an eligible club. The nominating club can select the eligible player by forfeiting its next available pick in the draft if a bid has been made by another club. If there is no bid from another club, the nominating club forfeits its last pick in the National Draft.

A club can pre-select an eligible player as a Category A rookie between the Pre-Season and Rookie Drafts (with the player’s consent) provided the player had nominated for but was not selected by another club at either the National or Pre-Season Drafts. In that case, the relevant club would forfeit its last available selection in the Rookie Draft to take the player.

I'm guessing we could have taken Foster as a rookie at the beginning of this year but is good form (at least one other club is intersted hence him being invited to the state screening) means that we'll probably have to take him as a ND pick.

I'm guessing we could have taken Foster as a rookie at the beginning of this year but is good form (at least one other club is intersted hence him being invited to the state screening) means that we'll probably have to take him as a ND pick.
which i prefer
i would want him on the senior list so he can play straight away if he tears the vfl apart and develops really quickly

Correct.

Would suggest you watch Foster's movement and defensive pressure closely VitalDread and BRG93; this is what will hold him back a lot at AFL level in my opinion. Would like to know how it looks to your eyes.

Would suggest you watch Foster's movement and defensive pressure closely VitalDread and BRG93; this is what will hold him back a lot at AFL level in my opinion. Would like to know how it looks to your eyes.
will do