Father/Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions continue to monitor father-son prospect
THE BRISBANE Lions will continue to monitor father-son prospect Lachie Harris despite the teenager missing out on Vic Metro selection this year.

The club has first access to the speedy midfielder whose father Leon Harris played 186 games for Fitzroy between 1979-89.

The 18-year-old hasn't been invited to the national NAB AFL Draft Combine, but has played for the Sandringham Dragons at TAC Cup level and gathered 19 disposals and had seven inside 50s in their last game.

Lions recruiting manager Stephen Conole told AFL.com.au's Road to the Draft podcast Harris had recently spent some time in Brisbane training with the club.

"He's going well. He's captain at Caulfield Grammar and his father Leon actually does a bit of work for us and has come into our recruiting team this year after a very strong background at AFL Victoria," Conole said.

"[Lachie] spent a week up at the club in the July holidays and did some training, and he seemed to really enjoy that. He was popular with all the young boys up there so we'll see how it goes for him.

"He's got a lot of footy left to play. He's got two games left with Caulfield and you'd think the Sandringham Dragons have a pretty strong squad so I could imagine they'll force their way to the back end of September yet again."

The 171cm prospect has genuine pace and recently also played at senior level in the Victorian Amateurs competition with the Caulfield Grammarians side.

The Lions' most recent father-son pick was Josh Clayton, son of Scott, at pick No.86 in 2014.

The Brisbane Lions again look set to be important players early at this year's NAB AFL Draft, currently holding pick No.1, No.14 (tied to Port Adelaide's finishing position) and No.18 (the first pick of the second round).

So given Lachie Harris didn't work out for us in 2017, who de we have in 2018 as a possible F/S?

Off the top of my head I am thinking Junior Voss, Bradshaw, one of the Johnson boys (?) Rendell, Blakey - Have I missed any?

Other than Blakey who we will likely have to fight for with Roos and Swans, are any of the others actual genuine draft prospects

Nick Blakey (son of John) Brisbane/North/Sydney [2018]

Jake Bradshaw (Daniel) Brisbane [2018]

James Rendell (Matt) Brisbane [2018]

Casey Voss (Michael) Brisbane [2018]

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/02/20/sons-prepare-to-follow-in-their-fathers-footsteps/

Blakey has obviously been documented, Rendell played half a dozen games for Sandringham as a ruck this year, Voss played half a dozen games for 2017 SANFL Torrens University U18s apparently (less well-documented than TAC Cup), and Bradshaw split time between the Bushrangers (four games) and the local Wodonga league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...There's been a few

Ablett, Jon Brown, Bowden, Cousins, Daniher*,Dempster, Darcy, Ebert, Picken*, Fletcher, Mitchell*, Molloy, McIntosh, Richardson, Shaw(2), Silvagni, Scarlett, Watson, Wallis* Cornes (2), Robram(2), Williams, Whitnall, Viney*

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back