Father/Son Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

All the evidence re: NGAs to date suggests this strongly isn't the case. :) They just trawl the TAC Cup teams to find appropriate players to sign up and leave them there - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ext-generation-academies-20181121-p50hhx.html.
Great article and called out the NGA for what it really is. I have no issue with them if they however where treated in exactly the same way that the northern academies are. If you want them, develop them and find them especially from other sports. Now that last part might be difficult as Australian Rules will be the main sport in Vic, SA and WA.

It's going to be interesting over the next couple of years to see if the volume of NGA players going in the draft outstrips that of players coming from the Qld & NSW-based academies - early days but that seems to be the way it's trending - will we continue to see it being called out by the Victorian footy media (acknolwedging it really only been Niall and to a lesser extent Mick Gleeson writing about it)?

2019 bloodline prospects: Who's eligible for your club?
Brisbane's triple-premiership star Chris Johnson's son Lachlan can join the Lions. Lachlan played for the Calder Cannons last year but has switched to the Oakleigh Chargers this season, however a battle looms for the talented youngster, given he also qualifies for Essendon's Next Generation Academy.

The Saints will have access to Jackson Voss (son of former defender Brett) under the NAB AFL Draft rules this year, with both players on Sandringham's under-18 list. Voss, a midfielder and half-back who has shown a dynamic side, is also on St Kilda's radar.

Like every year, there are many near misses – players whose fathers' reached the top level but didn't play 100 games at a club to make their son qualify for the rule. Eastern Ranges pair Josh Matthews (the son of former Blue and Fitzroy player Ashley) and Billy McCormack (son of former Lion Brendan) are others whose fathers didn't reach the 100-game mark.

There is a smattering of prospects whose brothers have also made it to the AFL. Zac Skinner, whose brother Sam is on Brisbane's list, will line up for Gippsland

Brendan McCormack was a beast of a midfielder in his time at Fitzroy (44 games) and later for the Bears (12 games). No idea what Billy is like, but if he is anything like his old man, particularity given his pedigree, would like him at the Lions in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't been around long enough to understand why it would be a kick in the guts. The Lions delisted his dad, so it's not like we're actually losing out on a father son prospect.

Yeah, as you said, you probably haven't been around long enough.

As Michael is the greatest ever Brisbane player, this forum has basically (and unhealthily) scouted Casey Voss since before he could crawl. There would be a bitter sting of irony if the son of Brett turned out to be a stellar player instead.

I haven't been around long enough to understand why it would be a kick in the guts. The Lions delisted his dad, so it's not like we're actually losing out on a father son prospect.

I think he means, the fact that Michaels son hasnt really come into anything, whereas Michael did, and the opposite happening for Brett would suck. As in, Bretts career being C/B grade and his kid being A/A+ grade.

I "heard" late last year that Lachlan was leaning towards the Lions, although as we all know, a lot can change in 9-10 months, particularly for a 17-18 year old.

Yeah he's Brisbane's to lose by all accounts. But he isn't really shaping up as alucrative draft prize at this stage regardless, so it's not exactly worth losing sleep over.

Yeah he's Brisbane's to lose by all accounts. But he isn't really shaping up as alucrative draft prize at this stage regardless, so it's not exactly worth losing sleep over.

Honestly there’s a line in the sand for everyone. And this is it for me. If Lachlan ends up at Essendon the AFL can go ***k itself.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly there’s a line in the sand for everyone. And this is it for me. If Lachlan ends up at Essendon the AFL can go ***k itself.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if Luke Hodge becomes a long term coach at the Lions and his sons join our academy?

Yeah, as you said, you probably haven't been around long enough.

As Michael is the greatest ever Brisbane player, this forum has basically (and unhealthily) scouted Casey Voss since before he could crawl. There would be a bitter sting of irony if the son of Brett turned out to be a stellar player instead.
I understood all of that. But I don't believe that this forum scouted Casey unhealthily, or put any unreasonable expectations on him.

Long way to go for Jackson Voss to be considered a stellar player. From the reading I have done on this years draft, he's not up there in first round discussion yet.

I understood all of that. But I don't believe that this forum scouted Casey unhealthily, or put any unreasonable expectations on him.

Joined November, 2015 ;)

Regardless, you've pulling at too many threads from what was a pretty throwaway line.

Joined November, 2015 ;)

Regardless, you've pulling at too many threads from what was a pretty throwaway line.
Honestly what's my join date got to do with understanding something?

I lurked here since 2013.

I managed a pub that had a large Lions following during the 3 peat years, as well as regular attended by many of the Lions players at the time. So have some understanding of the period.

Often you come across as meaning to put people in their place when there's no need to, or assert your superiority around here. For someone who is an intelligent poster who offers great insights and knowledge, it leaves a sour taste about your personality at times.

I wasn't trying to make anything of your throw away line, just understand a point of view and engage in a minor discussion.

Oh dude, you are overeacting. You said it yourself right at the start "I haven't been around long enough to understand".

So I explained how the Casey Voss thing has literally been a thing here since he was a toddler which you then said wasn't your observation.

So then I simply invoke YOUR OWN disclaimer to say "yeah, it was indeed before your time" and then suddenly you claim you are being put down and that I am asserting my superiority... for saying the same thing as you. That's not you "engaging", it's escalating.

Sorry man, but in this case, any idea of "being put in your place" exists in your head. That is not what has happened here at all. Like I said, it was a throwaway line referencing a potential ironic situation on the horizon, and you've (admittedly unintentially) made a mountain out of a molehill. You've obviously got a preexisting opinion of me and it shaded your judgement in this case. iBeng and Scubaveg clearly saw it in the right light.

Try rereading it without the assumption I am being an arsehole and see if it comes off in a better light, because I genuinely wasn't.

Let's move on from exhausting ourselves over something that really could have ended at post #486

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back