Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Cascade Pale Ale, also known as "green" or simply "Pale", is in fact an Australian-style lager, not an ale. The Pale Ale name has been used since the brewery was established and was originally an ale style beer. The Pale Ale has an excellent balance of the famous "Pride of Ringwood" Hop and Pale Malt giving the beer a fruity mid palette and spicy end palette. Alcohol Content: 4.9% (originally 5.2%)

Wikipedia. Not me.
I used to work for them and I just assumed it was an Ale, as it says so on the bloody label.

Anyway to answer the question......Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I was on my honeymoon in Maui 5 years ago, and I was sitting at a beach bar overlooking the ocean. A sales manager from Sierra Nevada was teaching a young rep from Maui and they were trying to get their product into the bar. They had a small esky with a few bottles, and the bar manager poured me one to taste. I have been hooked ever since and the bar manager ordered a few kegs.

I have had it since on tap in the states, I wish we could get it on tap here.

I was stoked when it became readily available through DMs and liquorland.

My favourite session beer is Peroni. I hate the Aussie brewed stuff and am always on the look out for imported. I have found it at local independents and even Aldi at times. Corona also serves a purpose on a hot summers day. If I am the pub having a few its toss up between VB (gets a bad rap), Carlton Draught or Coopers Pale (if available).

Has Cooper ever tried brewing a hoppy american style pale ale? Would go alright I reckon.

Last edited:
Anyway to answer the question......Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I was on my honeymoon in Maui 5 years ago, and I was sitting at a beach bar overlooking the ocean. A sales manager from Sierra Nevada was teaching a young rep from Maui and they were trying to get their product into the bar. They had a small esky with a few bottles, and the bar manager poured me one to taste. I have been hooked ever since and the bar manager ordered a few kegs.

I have had it since on tap in the states, I wish we could get it on tap here.

I was stoked when it became readily available through DMs and liquorland.

My favourite session beer is Peroni. I hate the Aussie brewed stuff and am always on the look out for imported. I have found it at local independents and even Aldi at times. Corona also serves a purpose on a hot summers day. If I am the pub having a few its toss up between VB (gets a bad rap), Carlton Draught or Coopers Pale (if available).

Has Cooper ever tried brewing a hoppy american style pale ale? Would go alright I reckon.
You can get Sierra Nevada kegs here, especially in Melbourne. Most bars don't range due to the price point, but it's definitely available.

How good is the Torpedo IPA cans in 440ml now being sold in Dan's? $108 a slab is a no-brainer. Love that stuff.

At DM. Do they still sell the Euro made Grolsch next to the locally brewed Grolsch without the swing top bottle lid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. :)

I reckon they've give it a damn good go. Maybe something worth recommending to them but they're probably too busy counting their money right now.

They have, from what I could tell, a pretty good representation of their Pale Ale in the USA right now...........and cheaper than we can buy it here.

Good question. :)

I reckon they've give it a damn good go. Maybe something worth recommending to them but they're probably too busy counting their money right now.

They have, from what I could tell, a pretty good representation of their Pale Ale in the USA right now...........and cheaper than we can buy it here.
I don't think Coopers knows what a hop looks like.

Had a few Heineken stubbies yesterday with the next door neighbour while working away in the garden (more beer drinking happening than work).

Im torn on this beer, sometimes I have it and really enjoy it and sometimes I have one and go to the fridge looking for an alternative.
Heineken is a great beer if your other option is Carlton draught. If there are other options then I don't go near it. Ordinary beer IMO.

I don't think Coopers knows what a hop looks like.

Most Coopers beers only use bittering hops and let the yeast provide flavour. The Celebration Ale is the only Coopers beer with any noticeable flavour/aroma hops and is pretty good.

One new brewery to look our for is Three Troupers. I've had their pale and amber and they are delicious beers. Nothing outrageous in terms of style but they just get the balance and mouthfeel right. Lots of breweries these days are trying too hard to stand out and reaching a bit too far in terms of style; I appreciate a brewery that really gets the basics down first before trying to wow the market with their spice-infused, pinot noir barrel-aged imperial white IPA.

Most Coopers beers only use bittering hops and let the yeast provide flavour. The Celebration Ale is the only Coopers beer with any noticeable flavour/aroma hops and is pretty good.

One new brewery to look our for is Three Troupers. I've had their pale and amber and they are delicious beers. Nothing outrageous in terms of style but they just get the balance and mouthfeel right. Lots of breweries these days are trying too hard to stand out and reaching a bit too far in terms of style; I appreciate a brewery that really gets the basics down first before trying to wow the market with their spice-infused, pinot noir barrel-aged imperial white IPA.
Three Troupers have been around for a while now. They used to contract brew at Southern Bay in Geelong.

Three Troupers have been around for a while now. They used to contract brew at Southern Bay in Geelong.

Ah ok, I've only started seeing their beers pop up in stores around Melbourne this year and noticed they also had a stall at GABs. Now that they've got their own site hopefully they start getting their beers out to a few more places.

Southern Bay is an interesting case. They must have reasonable facilities because they have one or two beers stocked at Dan's and they're always at craft beer events, but I think their branding leaves quite a lot to be desired. I do enjoy their Requiem Pilsner though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back