Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Went on a South American Holiday recently, noted down the beers I tried. Most of them were terrible.

Red Stripe
Cristal
Bucanero - Ok
Poker
Aguila
Club Colombia - Good
Cusquena - Good
Cristal
Huari - Cat piss
Pacena - Cat piss
Bock - strong, about 8%, gross
Cordillera
Skol
Brahma - Cat piss
Antartica
Quilmes
Patagonia - Great, would be in my top 5-10 I think
Escudo

Didn't matter so much that most of them were s**t, as long as its cold enough its fine.

If something is good it is good. Doesn't matter if it is mainstream or boutique. That goes for anything, but beer fans are especially snobby in this regard, I'm not sure why.

That's why I said it! I thought someone would comment to that effect.

I suspect it is because when you know a little about it and you discover a good beer, then you want it to be exclusive and not known to all. It's just insecurity.

Went on a South American Holiday recently, noted down the beers I tried. Most of them were terrible.

Red Stripe
Cristal
Bucanero - Ok
Poker
Aguila
Club Colombia - Good
Cusquena - Good
Cristal
Huari - Cat piss
Pacena - Cat piss
Bock - strong, about 8%, gross
Cordillera
Skol
Brahma - Cat piss
Antartica
Quilmes
Patagonia - Great, would be in my top 5-10 I think
Escudo

Didn't matter so much that most of them were s**t, as long as its cold enough its fine.

I was repping at CUB when they started distributing that here for a while.

Didn't last too long.

After a few openers - Uncle Jacobs, BC barley wine, and a 15 Dark Lord :D

l53k4Oom.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone big ACDC fans going to try their 5L keg from Aldi?

Their wines weren't all that bad.

It's a German Pale Lager out for Oktoberfest. I think 5L retails for around $22

Not tried it yet.

Anyone big ACDC fans going to try their 5L keg from Aldi?

Their wines weren't all that bad.

It's a German Pale Lager out for Oktoberfest. I think 5L retails for around $22

Not tried it yet.

Don't like the style though good value and will sell well.

If something is good it is good. Doesn't matter if it is mainstream or boutique. That goes for anything, but beer fans are especially snobby in this regard, I'm not sure why.

Probably me? :D

I guess it's hard to get into a discussion about the mainstream beers as generally speaking, there's not much to say.
It's hard to get excited about a VB, although I'd just about sooner have a VB than the mainstream Japanese beers of late?
Asahi and Kirin are just about undrinkable now............Not sure why and it may be my palate but they taste as though they have mercury in them.................OK, I don't know what mercury tastes like but there's a distinct metallic finish to them now..............awful.

I did get myself some Victory Brewing, Prima Pilsner the other week......................beautiful little beer................must get more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it's hard to get into a discussion about the mainstream beers as generally speaking, there's not much to say.
It's hard to get excited about a VB, although I'd just about sooner have a VB than the mainstream Japanese beers of late?
Asahi and Kirin are just about undrinkable now............Not sure why and it may be my palate but they taste as though they have mercury in them.................OK, I don't know what mercury tastes like but there's a distinct metallic finish to them now..............awful.

I did get myself some Victory Brewing, Prima Pilsner the other week......................beautiful little beer................must get more

I intend to bring back some Victory Dirt Wolf if I can.

If you're buying Asahi and Kirin from major stores in Australia you'll find the Asahi is brewed in China and the Kirin is brewed in NSW. I'm not exactly a fan of Japanese beers but some imported Kirin I have had was quite good. Regardless, they should stick to whisky.

I had a ******* amazing drinking day.

Perennial 17, Pro'cats'tinator and Magic Man
North Coast Brandy Barrel aged Old Stock
14 and 15 Evil Twin Biscotti Break
Mikeller Milkeller
Prairie BOMB!
Evil Twin Aun Mas Jesus
St Bernardus oak aged Abt 12
Revolution Gravedigger Billy.
Avery Uncle Jacobs (again) :D

and that's only the half of it. When the most mediocre beer you drink all day is Sam Adams Boston lager, you know it's been a fine day for ales :D

Last edited:
Dainton-Family-Brewery-Samurye-1.png
dainton-red-eye-rye-beer-online-1440554284.png

Both pretty awesome beers with some pretty awesome artwork. Am a sucker for a decent piece of artwork/storytelling on a bottle.

Standing in line at the cafe I buy coffee from in Little Collins St this morning. They sell some run of the mill booze and the place is owned by a little asian bird. Was speaking with her when I noticed longnecks of Chimay Blue and La Chouffe. Didn't expect that.

And my other last few beers worth endorsing:

Tuatara Tu Rye Aye Midnight Rye IPA(NZ)
Sixpoint Resin IPA & 4 Bean Coffee Porter(US)
Jester King Repose - Hay brewed Ale aged in Calvados barrels(US)
Big Shed F* Yeah Pale Ale(AU)
Big Shed American Brown(AU)
Brewdog Jack Hammer(Scots)
3 Fonteinen Oude Gueze(Belgium)
Kees Pink Grapefruit IPA(Netherlands)

Just recently got back from a trip around Europe.

My favourite beer I had whilst over there was in a microbrewery in Prague. The place was called "Pivovar Národní", and I'm pretty sure the beer was just called Nàrodní Czech Lion Lager.

Went to Oktoberfest as well; Hofbrau not bad, Lowenbrau was rubbish, Paulaner Hefe-Weißbier was ok, Paulaner Original was decent (until we got kicked out of the tent!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back